Ok I’m Feeling OLD | Syracusefan.com

Ok I’m Feeling OLD

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Flipping through the channels tonight (can you even do that anymore) and I saw that PBS had a double shot of great Rock & Roll on James Taylor and Carole King on.

First I did a double take….that can’t be PBS, it must have been MTV or at least VH-1, but no the Rock and Rollers of my younger days were on PBS!!

And then to make matters worse I put google to work and realized James Taylor is 76 years old and Carole King is 82!?! When did that happen???

Flipping through the channels tonight (can you even do that anymore) and I saw that PBS had a double shot of great Rock & Roll on James Taylor and Carole King on.

First I did a double take….that can’t be PBS, it must have been MTV or at least VH-1, but no the Rock and Rollers of my younger days were on PBS!!

And then to make matters worse I put google to work and realized James Taylor is 76 years old and Carole King is 82!?! When did that happen???
I love them both, but they felt old to me in the 1980s.

Rock & Roll?

Any in particular?
Off the top of my head, just a few people/groups who never even sniff their ballot:

Bob Mould
Paul Westerberg
Graham Parker
Dave Edmunds
Nick Lowe
Willy DeVille
Paul Weller
Phil Lynott
Alex Chilton
Husker Dü
The Replacements
The Jam
Badfinger
Big Star
Thin Lizzy

Look at some of the actual inductees and try to tell me some of them belong in there ahead of the members of that list.

Off the top of my head, just a few people/groups who never even sniff their ballot:

Bob Mould
Paul Westerberg
Graham Parker
Dave Edmunds
Nick Lowe
Willy DeVille
Paul Weller
Phil Lynott
Alex Chilton
Husker Dü
The Replacements
The Jam
Badfinger
Big Star
Thin Lizzy

Look at some of the actual inductees and try to tell me some of them belong in there ahead of the members of that list.
I need to brush up on my music as there are a few on there that I'm not familiar with.

I need to brush up on my music as there are a few on there that I'm not familiar with.
Some of those names and groups are connected, but one could do worse than to go down a few of those rabbit holes. I could easily add a few dozen others to that list as well.

Some of those names and groups are connected, but one could do worse than to go down a few of those rabbit holes. I could easily add a few dozen others to that list as well.
Whenever I think of Husker Du, for some reason, I always group them with Toad the Wet Sprocket and Guadalcanal Diary.

I like how you included Westerberg and Chilton. If only Alex had written a song about Paul.

Whenever I think of Husker Du, for some reason, I always group them with Toad the Wet Sprocket and Guadalcanal Diary.
I would say Hüsker Dü's Bob Mould and Grant Hart were the Lennon/McCartney of the punk/alternative rock world, with a similar creative growth in their relatively brief time together as a group.

I would say Hüsker Dü's Bob Mould and Grant Hart were the Lennon/McCartney of the punk/alternative rock world, with a similar creative growth in their relatively brief time together as a group.
I have a friend who was touring as the band's violinist when COVID stopped their tour in 2020. She said that it was a lot of fun.

don't feel so bad if you feel old and you like james taylor because there's two sides to this coin

i am 33 and I enjoy james taylor

my grandmother is 86 and loves james taylor

hopefully you're closer to me than to her!

don't feel so bad if you feel old and you like james taylor because there's two sides to this coin

i am 33 and I enjoy james taylor

my grandmother is 86 and loves james taylor

hopefully you're closer to me than to her!
I used to find that the dividing line between young and old was who do you think of if someone mentions the musician JT. If you say Justin Timberlake, you're young. If James Taylor springs to mind, you're old. Now that Timberlake is 43, I'm not sure that I can use that as a point of reference anymore.

I have a friend who was touring as the band's violinist when COVID stopped their tour in 2020. She said that it was a lot of fun.
Yes, she's very good. I'm sure Bob Mould must be an interesting character to be around.

Bob Mould
Paul Westerberg
Graham Parker
Dave Edmunds
Nick Lowe
Willy DeVille
Paul Weller
Phil Lynott
Alex Chilton
Husker Dü
The Replacements
The Jam
Badfinger
Big Star
Thin Lizzy

As more artists influenced by punk and post-punk get in, the doors will open to more pioneers.

As more artists influenced by punk and post-punk get in, the doors will open to more pioneers.
I don't think some of these artists are even on their radar. It should have happened long before now, so I hold out little hope of seeing it happen myself.

I'm with ya, I recognized 5 and I grew up in the 70's-80's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom