OK, is Cooney the golden child, or the whipping boy? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OK, is Cooney the golden child, or the whipping boy?

Cooney is going to be an excellent player coming off the bench nailing 3's.

Cooney is in for a beating. He is in the unfortunate role of starting in the worst 2g rotation SU has put out there in a decade.

JB saw it coming but it was too late, 2 other program rejects were not the answer. It looks like JB did find him a good young one but doesn't have the stones to develop him.

If Igor is right and JB is boeheiming BJ in order to pay back the redshirt, then I don't think we will see much more of BJ. According to igor, JB would not want to showcase the obvious, and the stat differential is already hard to ignore.

"If Igor is right" - he's not.

"According to Igor" - this is NEVER a good way to try to support an argument. Never.

I think it's pretty clear he's going to start at least until December. He'll have about 10 games to show us some consistency.

If BJ blows up in those 10 games, I'm still not sure that he would take over the starting role, just because he hasn't been here long enough yet to know how to play the zone well.

And I think JB has already settled on Silent G as his backup PG, in part because of his composure on the ball. Unless Patterson unseats Silent G at the point, Silent G is not really available to be our starting 2G, and I didn't see Patterson on the ball enough in Canada to think that's going to happen.

I think we already see our rotation at guard. The only questions are up front.

If Roberson plays as well as expected, we will likely see our 3 big men limited to playing center, as it should be. Except for maybe Florida State, Pitt and a few other games, we won't need 2 of our bigs on the floor at the same time for rebounding and defense. I think Fair, Grant and Roberson are going to make a fine rotation in the corners of the zone, and they will give us more offense, which we will certainly need with our questions at the 2.

"If Igor is right" - he's not.

"According to Igor" - this is NEVER a good way to try to support an argument. Never.

Let's clear something up. Igor is a huge SU fan, as dedicated as anybody here. Igor is also a notorious guy who liked to stir the pot, just to piss people off and provoke lively conversation.

Over time, Igor has toned down his anti-JB rant, telling all the young freshmen being "Boeheimed" that they ought to transfer. That last part used to drive me nuts.

Igor also used to be a HS coach, and was a good one. He's a good dude, and he doesn't really deserve to get kicked every time he posts on here. He and Dasher have some history, (as Igor has with many of us ...), but overall, just understand that he is a fan and supporter of the program, if a notable contrarian. He's like our version of "Eyeore", the grumbling, negative donkey from Winnie the Pooh.

If you grew up in Central New York, chances are you know somebody just like him, always complaining about the sports teams, that the coaches are not tough enough on the players, there's no discipline, etc. But you should understand that his comments are based on knowledge, not just being a crank. Back when practices were in Manley and were open to the public, Igor was the guy who went to practice several times a week - for MANY years, before it was popular - to watch what they do. His opinions are not without some basis in reality.

I think it's pretty clear he's going to start at least until December. He'll have about 10 games to show us some consistency.

If BJ blows up in those 10 games, I'm still not sure that he would take over the starting role, just because he hasn't been here long enough yet to know how to play the zone well.

And I think JB has already settled on Silent G as his backup PG, in part because of his composure on the ball. Unless Patterson unseats Silent G at the point, Silent G is not really available to be our starting 2G, and I didn't see Patterson on the ball enough in Canada to think that's going to happen.

I think we already see our rotation at guard. The only questions are up front.

If Roberson plays as well as expected, we will likely see our 3 big men limited to playing center, as it should be. Except for maybe Florida State, Pitt and a few other games, we won't need 2 of our bigs on the floor at the same time for rebounding and defense. I think Fair, Grant and Roberson are going to make a fine rotation in the corners of the zone, and they will give us more offense, which we will certainly need with our questions at the 2.
6'6" Gbinije atop the zone will be extremely effective. He many not have started on the Canadian tour, but first game of the season he will have earned his way into the starting role by then (not just a hunch). No knock on Cooney, I think he will be perfect coming off the bench and nailing shots in a very important role. Yes Cooney is the starter right now, but it's August. In all fairness to G he's been playing all over the place.

6'6" Gbinije atop the zone will be extremely effective. He many not have started on the Canadian tour, but first game of the season he will have earned his way into the starting role by then (not just a hunch). No knock on Cooney, I think he will be perfect coming off the bench and nailing shots in a very important role. Yes Cooney is the starter right now, but it's August. In all fairness to G he's been playing all over the place.
I would be more than happy to take your money on that statement.

Cooney never really had a chance.

First, it was the ESPN Top 100 ranking (#65) with a scouting report that begins with "Cooney is one of the elite shooters in the country."

Then GMac went on to say he could be one of the best shooters at SU, or something like that. Then there was the redshirt with the assumption that he would take a year, learn the system and shoot hundreds of three-pointers a day and hit the ground running. Like I've posted many, many times, he had a horrific year from outside the arc - horrific. Horrific as in one of the worst years in the last decade for any person who shoots a lot of three-pointers.

This summer, with two years under his belt, he comes into the exhibition games in Canada, in August but, nonetheless, against some pretty weak teams and does not shoot great - certainly not great enough to say last year was a total fluke.

Now we have two young and very promising guards who could replace Cooney.

They both can shoot very well and have other very desirable skills. The one that is 6-7 also happens to be three years younger than Cooney and has about 730 less days as a college basketball player. There's plenty of reason for people to be frustrated with Cooney.

What is Cooney?

He's one of our players, and an integral cog in our rotation this year. Our "fans" should probably quit choosing sides and actively rooting for / against him, and root for not just him but ALL of our players to do well so that the team excels and maximizes its potential.

Good luck with that. I've been on here since the early 2000's and it happens every year.

I agree with some of what you say - particularly the part that G has played 3 different positions. But it also appears clear that for this season, anyway, he is going to be the back-up point guard. Remember, he has had a season in the program already, so what he showed us in Canada (to me anyway) is a little disappointing compared to expectations. We had brand new freshman like Johnson play better than G did.

Let's clear something up. Igor is a huge SU fan, as dedicated as anybody here. Igor is also a notorious guy who liked to stir the pot, just to piss people off and provoke lively conversation.

Over time, Igor has toned down his anti-JB rant, telling all the young freshmen being "Boeheimed" that they ought to transfer. That last part used to drive me nuts.

Igor also used to be a HS coach, and was a good one. He's a good dude, and he doesn't really deserve to get kicked every time he posts on here. He and Dasher have some history, (as Igor has with many of us ...), but overall, just understand that he is a fan and supporter of the program, if a notable contrarian. He's like our version of "Eyeore", the grumbling, negative donkey from Winnie the Pooh.

If you grew up in Central New York, chances are you know somebody just like him, always complaining about the sports teams, that the coaches are not tough enough on the players, there's no discipline, etc. But you should understand that his comments are based on knowledge, not just being a crank. Back when practices were in Manley and were open to the public, Igor was the guy who went to practice several times a week - for MANY years, before it was popular - to watch what they do. His opinions are not without some basis in reality.
If that was true, he would post when the team us doing well. I don't recall having seen him on this board in the last three regular seasons.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I guess count me as thinking Cooney actually looked really good shooting the ball in Canada after the opening 30 minutes of the first game. I'm not really buying into the panic right now. There are a lot of good reasons to believe that Cooney will have a good year this year. He may not be Southerland en-fuego, but he looked reliable shooting the ball. As reliable as pretty much any 2 guard we have had in some time now.

If that was true, he would post when the team us doing well. I don't recall having seen him on this board in the last three regular seasons.

He had a stroke.

I guess count me as thinking Cooney actually looked really good shooting the ball in Canada after the opening 30 minutes of the first game. I'm not really buying into the panic right now. There are a lot of good reasons to believe that Cooney will have a good year this year. He may not be Southerland en-fuego, but he looked reliable shooting the ball. As reliable as pretty much any 2 guard we have had in some time now.

I agree. I think he's going to start at least until December. Only if he completely craps the bed does he lose his starting job.

Its a great thought if it happens. If he comes out thinking about it too much he will create rebounding opportunities. Southerland occasionally had that problem.Its gotta be a muscle memory thing not an aiming thing.;)

I think Cooney will be a good player for us. Some shooters are just streaky. I feel the more minutes he logs on the court the more comfortable and confident he will be and it will translate to baskets.

I remember Rautins jr year him coming off the bench and I wasn't terrible impressed and as his sr year started I thought we were in for a season without a good deep threat. I was wrong and Rautins played great on offense and defense and I personally believed it was being out there and knowing that if he missed a shot he had plenty of chances left.

No offense, but posts like this suggest you don't have a clue what you're talking about, Sarge.

Which I know from your posting history isn't the case.
My take is that the Sarge sometimes likes to stir the pot to "facilitate discussion" and then sits back and enjoys watching what follows. Nothing wrong with that, especially in August.

don't forget calling Julie a "gold digger" and JB a "racist"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom