OK, minutes instead of lineup | Syracusefan.com

OK, minutes instead of lineup

jordoo

Living Legend
As has been stated over and over minutes played is a more important indicator than the starters. So what are the minute projections people have please list from highest to lowest. If you want to give minutes per position breakdown that would be interesting as well.

Minutes Per Game Last Year: (this should help everyone making their projections)
Gillon: 31.7
Roberson: 30.8
Lydon: 30.3
White: 29.7
Coleman: 17.5
Howard: 10.5
Chukwu: Redshirted (9.9 two seasons ago as a freshman at Providence)
Battle: Incoming freshman
Thompson: Incoming freshman
Moyer: Incoming freshman (foot injury to be reevaluated in about 6 weeks)

HERE IS WHAT I'M THINKING
Lydon: 34 (32f, 2c)
White: 28 (20f, 8g)
Battle: 27 (27g)
Gillon: 27 (27g)
Roberson: 24 (24f)
Chukwu: 20 (20c)
Coleman: 18 (18c)
Howard: 18 (18g)
Thompson: 4 (4f)
Moyer: Red Shirt
(unfortunately with already missing time, the 6 week time table and the loaded team this may wind up being the best option for him.)

Remember these are meant as averages. There will be plenty of games where because of matchups certain players and lineups get more run than usual.

upload_2016-8-31_10-45-17.png

THE GRAPH IS BACK

PG: Gillon (22), Howard (18)
SG: Battle (30), White (8), Howard (2) *Howard and Gillon will probably be on the court together for short stints, which one is the PG is semantics.
SF: White (22), Lydon (18)
PF: Roberson (26), Lydon (14)
C: Coleman (22), Chukwu (18)

Totals:
Gillon - 22
Howard - 20
Battle - 30
White - 30
Lydon - 32
Roberson - 26
Coleman - 22
Chukwu - 18

Once acc play starts:
Gillon - 25
Howard - 23
Battle - 28
White - 30
Lydon - 32
Roberson - 26
Coleman -14
Chukwu - 22

But some of Battles mins could easily go to Gillon/Howard and some of Robeys could easily go to Lydon/White. Some of Chukwus could easily go to DC...

As has been stated over and over minutes played is a more important indicator than the starters. So what are the minute projections people have please list from highest to lowest. If you want to give minutes per position breakdown that would be interesting as well.

Minutes Per Game Last Year: (this should help everyone making their projections)

(unfortunately with already missing time, the 6 week time table and the loaded team this may wind up being the best option for him.)

Remember these are meant as averages. There will be plenty of games where because of matchups certain players and lineups get more run than usual.

Pretty solid.
Id imagine Howard gets less minutes, which go to Battle, Gillon, and White, in some combo. More like 12-15 max, on average. IF he earns more than that, then that is a very "happy problem" for JB to have.
Probably flip Coleman and Chukwu's minutes, but that's splitting hairs.
Maybe Roberson gets a few more, but at whose expense?
TT and MM - totally agree.
Although TT may get token minutes at C also, in the non-con cupcake season.

But some of Battles mins could easily go to Gillon/Howard and some of Robeys could easily go to Lydon/White. Some of Chukwus could easily go to DC...

I think that they will from game to game match up to match up. It's funny for all the differing opinions on the starting line ups, so far, posters have been pretty close on the minutes, give or take a few here and there.

PG: Gillon (24) Howard (13) Battle (3)
SG: Battle (22) White (15) Howard (3)
SF: White (16) Lydon (15) Battle (9)
PF:Roberson (21) Lydon (14) Thompson (5)
C: Coleman (18) Chukwu (17) Lydon(5)

Lydon 34 mpg
Battle 34 mpg
White 31 mpg
Gillon 24 mpg
Roberson 21 mpg
Coleman 18 mpg
Chukwu 17 mpg
Howard 16 mpg
Thompson 5 mpg

Moyer Redshirts.

Last edited:
SG: Battle (30), White (8), Howard (2) *Howard and Gillon will probably be on the court together for short stints, which one is the PG is semantics.

Totals:
Gillon - 22
Howard - 20
Battle - 30
White - 30
Lydon - 32
Roberson - 26
Coleman - 22
Chukwu - 18
No TT?

PG: Gillon (24) Howard (13) Battle (3)
SG: Battle (22) White (15) Howard (3)
SF: White (14) Lydon (12) Battle (4)
PF:Roberson (21) Lydon (14) Thompson (5)
C: Coleman (18) Chukwu (17) Lydon(5)

Lydon 31 mpg
Battle 29 mpg
White 29 mpg
Gillon 24 mpg
Coleman 18 mpg
Chukwu 17 mpg
Howard 16 mpg
Thompson 5 mpg

Moyer Redshirts.

You are missing 10 min at the SF and Roby is not in the totals.

You are missing 10 min at the SF and Roby is not in the totals.
I caught the SF minutes just after posting. Can't believe I missed Roberson on my final list, thanks for the catch. I've made the proper adjustments.

Once we get to the stretch run, I'll go with :
Lydon - 34
Roberson - 28
Coleman - 18
Chukwu - 16
Battle - 31
Gillon - 29
White - 33
Howard - 11

Thompson will get minutes for much of the season, but come Feb/March I see DNP's as long as everyone is healthy. Lots of veteran depth at his spots.

Lydon - 34
Roberson - 28
Coleman - 18
Chukwu - 16
Battle - 31
Gillon - 29
White - 33
Howard - 11

Thompson will get minutes for much of the season, but come Feb/March I see DNP's as long as everyone is healthy. Lots of veteran depth at his spots.

This looks like the most likely scenario. I get that we have lots of depth, but Boeheim will tighten the rotation and ride his horses in ACC play and into the postseason.

Lydon - 34
Roberson - 28
Coleman - 18
Chukwu - 16
Battle - 31
Gillon - 29
White - 33
Howard - 11

29 seems high for Gillon and 11 seems low for Howard. I don' t think Gillon is 18 minutes better than Howard. With the other scoring options in Battle, White, and Lydon, the team needs a distributor which isn't Gillon's strength but is Howard's.

PG- Gillon (21), Howard (19)
SG - Battle (25), White (15)
C - Chukwu (17), Coleman (17), Lydon (6)
F - Lydon (28), Roberson (30), White (18), Thompson (4)

Totals:
Lydon - 34
White - 33
Roberson - 30
Battle - 25
Gillon - 21
Howard - 19
Coleman - 17
Chukwu - 17
Thompson - 4

Totals:
Gillon - 22
Howard - 20
Battle - 30
White - 30
Lydon - 32
Roberson - 26
Coleman - 22
Chukwu - 18

Very solid breakdown. The only thing I'd vary is that I see Lydon getting less time at 3, some time at the 5 [even though that is not what people want to hear]. Lydon at 5 reduces the minutes for Coleman / Chukwu a bit.

Otherwise, I see it very similarly to how you've laid it out.

Totals:
Gillon - 24
Howard - 18
Battle - 30
White - 30
Lydon - 35
Roberson - 24
Coleman - 23
Chukwu - 15

Quality depth provides the advantage of having most players in that 25-30 MPG range. It is going to be refreshing to have the players not playing 35+ and gassed at the end of most games.

Last edited:
I'm just glad we have a HOFer, and one of the all-time greats making the decisions. This is difficult to predict. Roberson may drop a good amount, but we need his rebounding. So hard to predict, plus with the early games bringing the average down. All I know is the best 5 will be out there at the end of the game.

Too many unknowns to make meaningful projections. The 5 biggest unknowns are:
1) Is Chewy foul prone? Many inexperienced bigs cannot stay on the court.
2) If Howard is shooting 25% during OCC he will not get many minutes in ACC. What a player does in practice does not always translate when it counts. Remember the practice reports, "Josh Pace has a jump shot"?
3) If White can't make the right pass his minutes will go down. He could be in JB's doghouse. He averaged less than 1 assist per game.
4) TT is an unknown. What will he show us during OCC?
5) If Roberson makes a senior leap by showing a mid-range jump shot his minutes will be very heavy. As a senior he will be motivated. His future is on the line. At the least, I expect him to be a monster on the boards.
I do not expect any surprises from Gillon. He will be as good as we expect; quick and heady. Battle will get heavy minutes. He is a creator. Lydon is not going to become a volume scorer. If he forced shots his percentage would decline. He is not going to force shots. It is not his personality.

Too many unknowns to make meaningful projections. The 5 biggest unknowns are:
1) Is Chewy foul prone? Many inexperienced bigs cannot stay on the court.
2) If Howard is shooting 25% during OCC he will not get many minutes in ACC. What a player does in practice does not always translate when it counts. Remember the practice reports, "Josh Pace has a jump shot"?
3) If White can't make the right pass his minutes will go down. He could be in JB's doghouse. He averaged less than 1 assist per game.
4) TT is an unknown. What will he show us during OCC?
5) If Roberson makes a senior leap by showing a mid-range jump shot his minutes will be very heavy. As a senior he will be motivated. His future is on the line. At the least, I expect him to be a monster on the boards.
I do not expect any surprises from Gillon. He will be as good as we expect; quick and heady. Battle will get heavy minutes. He is a creator. Lydon is not going to become a volume scorer. If he forced shots his percentage would decline. He is not going to force shots. It is not his personality.
Are we going with Chewy for a nickname? I could get behind that.

Totals:
Gillon - 22
Howard - 20
Battle - 30
White - 30
Lydon - 32
Roberson - 26
Coleman - 22
Chukwu - 18
Hey Brooky, Rob from rivals here. I think this is pretty dead on accurate. The only tweaking I might do is to go with Lydon getting a few more minutes at SF from White and at C in certain situations against certain teams to take advantage of mismatches. I don't see Lydon getting less than 34 or 35 minutes a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom