OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days?

Appreciate this thread. Haven't been in Syracuse since I graduated and hope to be up there for a few basketball games this season. Need a few places to eat in my time there.

No love for Spaghetti Warehouse? That's my favorite. Dominick's being a close 2nd

Very tough to find a good meal in Syracuse.

I know some will snicker but I have to put a word in for a place down the street from me which is very underrated. Avicollis. Best chicken riggies around.

No love for Spaghetti Warehouse? That's my favorite. Dominick's being a close 2nd

I used to LOVE SW. But I went to the Toledo one and it was just so gross.

Haven’t been back since.

Appreciate this thread. Haven't been in Syracuse since I graduated and hope to be up there for a few basketball games this season. Need a few places to eat in my time there.
No football games?

I am not a fancy restaurant kind of guy. Here are some unpretentious places and dishes I recommend:

Best gyro: Kosta’s in East Syracuse. Hole in the wall type place. Lunch and a show.
Best frittata: Mother’s in Eastwood
Best sub: Dibella’s on Bridge St. Try the Uncle Louie or the Chicken Philly and thank me later
Best plain burger: Trapper’s in East Syracuse.
Best fancy burger: Power Play Burger at Ale ‘n’ Angus Pub downtown
Best bacon, eggs and home fries: Gardenview Diner in Liverpool
Best chicken sandwich: Golden Spike in East Syracuse (get the crispy chicken sandwich)
Best pizza: Twin Trees (several locations)
Best Mexican food: Rio Grande in Liverpool
Best Chicken Alfredo: Avicolli’s in Liverpool

I used to LOVE SW. But I went to the Toledo one and it was just so gross.

Haven’t been back since.

Really? I typically go around every holiday they have a special feast for 4. Comes with 2 Lasagnas, 2 Chicken Parms, 2 spaghetti, 2 fettuccine Alfredo and 4 soup or salads. For just $30. Can't beat that deal.

I know some will snicker but I have to put a word in for a place down the street from me which is very underrated. Avicollis. Best chicken riggies around.
No snickering at all. It’s great. My neighbor owns the place. Great Italian food.

I am not a fancy restaurant kind of guy. Here are some unpretentious places and dishes I recommend:

Best gyro: Kosta’s in East Syracuse. Hole in the wall type place. Lunch and a show.
Best frittata: Mother’s in Eastwood
Best sub: Dibella’s on Bridge St. Try the Uncle Louie or the Chicken Philly and thank me later
Best plain burger: Trapper’s in East Syracuse.
Best fancy burger: Power Play Burger at Ale ‘n’ Angus Pub downtown
Best bacon, eggs and home fries: Gardenview Diner in Liverpool
Best chicken sandwich: Golden Spike in East Syracuse (get the crispy chicken sandwich)
Best pizza: Twin Trees (several locations)
Best Mexican food: Rio Grande in Liverpool
Best Chicken Alfredo: Avicolli’s in Liverpool

Golden Spike makes great food for an under-the-radar dive/locals kind of bar. I don't get there often enough, but it's a terrific lunch option if you're in the area. Burgers and chicken tenders are top-notch.

Heads-up for those who haven't been, your first two mentions are cash-only. Not a deal-breaker for some, but that kind of thing always catches me by surprise. (I only went to Kosta's once, didn't get the hype, but the owner's a real nice guy. Worth another try, I think.)

Those who understand these two words have been to the drunk culinary mountaintop:
Artemis, Westcott.

You're not the only one: Ranking The Dorian's Greek God Sandwiches

As the owner's gotten less involved, their quality control has gotten beyond inconsistent. That said, a few of us got pies and beers on the deck after the game on Saturday and the food was great.

Father Rooster also known as Papa Gallo in Fayetteville has good Mexican food.

Seinfeld.+Elaine.+English+Patient.+I+hate+it.+Mad.gif

(Sorry)

Golden Spike makes great food for an under-the-radar dive/locals kind of bar. I don't get there often enough, but it's a terrific lunch option if you're in the area. Burgers and chicken tenders are top-notch.
Fish sandwich on friday is pretty tasty.

I avoided Arad Evans for a long time because I thought it was pretentious, but I've been twice in the last few months and really enjoyed it. I hit Papa Gallo every few weeks. It's a quick stop and consistent food. Scotch & Sirloin is great on a cold night when they have the fire ripping and you want a few drinks, some peanuts, and maybe an app or small plate. Ray Brothers down near Hamilton is doing great. I know the owners (one's an SU alum). My secret dive bar with good food is the Blue Canoe out in Erieville - especially good on a warm summer night.

I'm looking foward to the opening of the new Wood Grill at the Craftsman. Avicollis and Bull & Bear in Fayetteville should be opening this winter/early spring.

Heads-up for those who haven't been, your first two mentions are cash-only. Not a deal-breaker for some, but that kind of thing always catches me by surprise. (I only went to Kosta's once, didn't get the hype, but the owner's a real nice guy. Worth another try, I think.)
FYI, the Spike was just ranked the #14 pub in upstate NY. I have tried most of their menu and specials and still haven't found anything to order there that wasn't excellent.

See the 3 Syracuse pubs that rank among Upstate NY's best

Not sure if I saw this on the list, but I think Otro Cinco is one of my favorites. Plus they take reservations, which makes things a lot easier. Also a big fan of:

Kitty Hoynes (sneaky good food)
Francesca's as has been said
Lots of deserved love for Apizza, I also like Peppino's downtown for a quick woodfire pizza usually for lunch
Blue Tusk for great atmosphere/beer/sandwiches
Modern Malt is a fun place
A little outside of downtown, Chophouse on Waring is really good

No football games?

Wanted to be there this weekend, but planned poorly. Travel and lodging are more than I was comfortable with spending. Looking at NC State, but hotels within reasonable distance from the University are hard to come by that weekend.