Class of 2016 - OL Airon Servais (WI) SIGNED LOI | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OL Airon Servais (WI) SIGNED LOI

If this was a borderline kid, idk that they'd take him this early. Not like we've had a bunch of decommits and are scrambling to fill a class. He's probably a guy they really like.

Way back when we were discussing filling the rest of the class i was hoping for some more OLineman - tackles - and we're also really thin on the DLine.

PhatOrange said:
It's not unsettling at all for an offensive linemen. How they develop is completely unpredictable.

In my opinion offers are far more important for measuring the potential of skill players. Your lineman, not so much.

Unsettling was way too strong a word. I'm not worried at all. I trust Babers and love that the kid is tall and has ivy offers.

One other thing that I find interesting too: Servais lists himself as a long snapper, too. Might be able to handle that, so that we don't need to use scholarships on guys who do nothing but long snap from now on?

Don't think that people are criticizing blindly here. The tape is what it is. Can he be molded into a quality OL? Sure.

But his nimbleness and strength didn't jump out at me.

All that's really important, though, is can he succeed in Babers' system? If Babers thinks so, he gets the benefit of the doubt for now.

BTW, the Servais name aroused my curiosity, so I checked. Scott Servais (former MLB player and current GM for the Angels) was also a Wisconsin native. Related, perhaps?

Don't think that people are criticizing blindly here. The tape is what it is. Can he be molded into a quality OL? Sure.

But his nimbleness and strength didn't jump out at me.

All that's really important, though, is can he succeed in Babers' system? If Babers thinks so, he gets the benefit of the doubt for now.
Actually, they are criticizing blindly. Before 30 minutes ago, people had literally never heard this name, and now some are already saying he might not be good enough? That's pretty much the definition of blind criticism.

Smarts...check
Good frame...check
From Wisconsin...check
This kid is a good get. Watching linemen tape can be so misleading. Lots of lineman don't come into the potential they have until they are in a real S&C program for 2 years.

That doesn't mean he is good enough for a P5 offer maybe a BG offer. But P5 is a different animal. Does have Harvard and Yale offer so clearly a smart kid. Can only hope for the best.

A friend who has both college and NFL experience told me once that if he were to get a middle-of-the-road Big Ten job, he would actively recruit the top five recruits targeted by each MAC school.

He claims that that approach would yield a very strong class.

All of us can identify a number of very good to great NFL players who came from the MAC.

So, if Dino likes the guy, I like the guy.

If he is serviceable as a center and long snapper - awesome get. Regardless Dino is going to recruit kids that fit his system. Close your eyes, imagine a no huddle offense......

Oh Airon - if your reading this - welcome to the Cuse!

jekelish said:
Actually, they are criticizing blindly. Before 30 minutes ago, people had literally never heard this name, and now some are already saying he might not be good enough? That's pretty much the definition of blind criticism.

Please chilll. People are allowed to offer opinions off the cuff. We're a fan website - not a PR firm.

Not really out of line with what we were getting for OL commits under the old regime, so I'm good with it. Welcome aboard, big fella!

Please chilll. People are allowed to offer opinions off the cuff. We're a fan website - not a PR firm.
Also, "it's not a PR firm." Okay, so those other posters, they can offer opinions tearing down a kid. I can't offer mine about saying give him a chance? My opinion doesn't count, it's "PR firm" because I'm being supportive and want people to give a kid a chance before they turn on him? Really? Give me a freaking break.

jekelish said:
Also, "it's not a PR firm." Okay, so those other posters, they can offer opinions tearing down a kid. I can't offer mine about saying give him a chance? My opinion doesn't count, it's "PR firm" because I'm being supportive and want people to give a kid a chance before they turn on him? Really? Give me a freaking break.

I think you missed Jakes point. It's not about giving an option of a player. You gave your opinion on a poster. I really didn't think phils post was that bad. He questioned whether he was a P5 player with no offers and then said we'll just have to wait and see. Isn't really out of line.

I think you missed Jakes point. It's not about giving an option of a player. You gave your opinion on a poster. I really didn't think phils post was that bad. He questioned whether he was a P5 player with no offers and then said we'll just have to wait and see. Isn't really out of line.
The post of mine that Jake quoted wasn't in response to Phil. It was in response to a completely different post. So there goes that argument.

jekelish said:
The post of mine that Jake quoted wasn't in response to Phil. It was in response to a completely different post. So there goes that argument.

I'm sure he read the first one too which led to the whole thing.

I'm sure he read the first one too which led to the whole thing.
I'm sure he did too. Look, I'm not picking any fights with anyone here. I just wanted people to NOT immediately say a kid was no good, and frankly, I'm baffled and offended by the fact that somehow, Jake thought that warranted him basically calling me out. That's just ridiculous.

I'm with you in substance, Jek. I personally am of the opinion that we should trust the staff, who obviously has a deep understanding of the system they are trying to implement and how to recruit to it. I wish he had other P5 offers, but the lack of them doesn't sour me on this kid. I think we should trust the staff until there is a track record in the other direction.

However, there is another way of looking at it, and reasonable minds can differ. I don't agree, but this is a message board. I agree with what Jake/Bees are saying here. I guess I'm advocating for the message board version of the paraphrase of that famous quote usually misattributed to Voltaire - "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to my death your right to say it".

Group think sucks, especially on a message board. So long as opinions are respectful and grounded in facts and reason, they should be tolerated and interacted with respectfully.

I am with Jek the negativity with everything is just annoying and exhasuting. If your a fan just cheer for your team and hope they are great. What does ripping them apart going to do? Be a real fan and support your team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom