OL Discussion | Syracusefan.com

OL Discussion

tep624

Living Legend
Can someone who is a lot smarter than me on OL grades plot out who we have as starters and 2 deep that are coming back that would translate over to a strong 2 deep and where are biggest gaps are right now? Hoeh just entered the portal but to be honest I'm surprised we haven't seen a few others.

Can someone who is a lot smarter than me on OL grades plot out who we have as starters and 2 deep that are coming back that would translate over to a strong 2 deep and where are biggest gaps are right now? Hoeh just entered the portal but to be honest I'm surprised we haven't seen a few others.
That may happen after the bowl game next week.

A guess off the top of my head

LT E Cruz/Petry
LG More/Bradford
C Reed/Ilaoa
RG J Cruz/Ellis
RT Wohlabaugh/Petry

This assumes all these guys will return.

We have a lot of players with playing experience. I think all of the players listed have started at least a game or two.

More is applying for a waiver from the NCAA for another redshirt year. It is a not a given he will be back.

I thought Petry was done.
He is listed as a redshirt junior on the roster.

He did do the senior walk, which signals he is graduating.

But if he wants to return, and the staff wants him to return, I believe he has another year of eligibility.

Pretty sure only Bleich has run out of eligibility.

A guess off the top of my head

LT E Cruz/Petry
LG More/Bradford
C Reed/Ilaoa
RG J Cruz/Ellis
RT Wohlabaugh/Petry

This assumes all these guys will return.

We have a lot of players with playing experience. I think all of the players listed have started at least a game or two.

More is applying for a waiver from the NCAA for another redshirt year. It is a not a given he will be back.
So if we’re being honest with ourselves here, at least 4-5 new faces on the 2 deep and probably at least 2 new starters from that list.

I figured
E.Cruz
Reed
Wohlenbaugh
Cruz
Ellis
Bass

Think the rest will move on.

I think this list is about right and then add 5 guys - 2 of which are starters to it.
Possibly I just do not think we are going to keep that many current players from the Oline.

I would like to get a portal LT, move Cruz to RT, and Wohlabaugh back to G.

So...

LT Xfer
LG J. Cruz/Bradford
C Reed/Illaoa
RG Wohlabaugh/Ellis
RT E. Cruz

I'd like to get more than that.

Bradford has to be 30 years old by now, right?

We have no idea if Bass (freshman) and Moeolo (inj redshirt transfer jr) and Mack (freshman) can play or not. They have the size.

Bliech and Hoe are gone. I’d imagine Austin K. will get the talk.

I'd like to get more than that.

Bradford has to be 30 years old by now, right?
Yeah I would think a starting LT and one other new starter and backfill with current roster. That would be reasonable.

I think this list is about right and then add 5 guys - 2 of which are starters to it.
Quality OL are a much less available commodity on the Portal with everyone looking for them with alot less of them available..so I think we'll sign less but they have t be starters. My guess is 2 but starters and we fill in around them with what we keep. I could be wrong...

Don’t know much about the first year guys other than Reed, but this group is pretty tight. Don’t think many leave unless the new staff instigates movement. With the new OLine coach just coming onboard it’s a pretty safe bet that this has been a big evaluation week. Probably what spurred the Hoeh move. The plan was definitely for More to apply for a medical redshirt right after the bowl and he meets all the criteria. No idea if the new staff has bought into that plan.
Won’t pretend to understand PFF grades, but if Coach Fran wants to run a power running based scheme the results from the last three games suggest the line performed pretty well. And that’s without Wohlabaugh, More and Ellis.
Certainly opportunities for upgrades via the portal. Didn’t see enough of Wohlabaugh at tackle to see if he had quick enough feet to play on the edge in pass protection. The fact that he passed More on the depth chart even before More’s ankle injury suggests the previous staff was convinced, but I am a bit skeptical. If he moves inside we need a game ready piece at tackle, even if it’s depth behind Petry who made a huge jump this year but still needs to step up to be a solid contributor. Ellis will always be a huge question mark, no pun intended. Was getting rave reviews early for his conditioning work but the foot injury set him back and we don’t know what kind of shape he will be in if he is back. The year of experience and a full spring and summer camp will work wonders for Reed. Thanks for setting him back in his development NCAA.
Enrique has all the physical tools of an NFL level player. Thought he played exceptionally well at times but missed assignments on inside stunts and left the LG out to dry with two men to block.
A healthy Shrader and his escapability certainly kept the sack numbers down at 28, especially when you consider 18 came in 3 games - 8 against VT! - but I don’t know that the line was as egregiously bad as some made it out to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom