Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

Wonderful stuff and greatly appreciated. I've enjoyed your posts and hope his hard work translates into playing time. I love stories with a happy ending. Thanks to you and the parents of all the kids. I have close emotional ties with SU and am glad your kids chose to play in orange. Best wishes to all of you...
So I guess yesterday was the end of the whole process for Shy. We drove up saturday and dropped our stuff off at the hotel and ran over to the mall. We met up with the Duerigs, Byrnes, and clarks for dinner at the Brewery. All great people and great kids. We ate dinner then Shy went with the guys to campus for a couple hours before they all headed back to the hotel we and the duerigs stayed at to watch the fireworks. We had invited a few other families but alot of them had other plans already and some were not driving up until sunday. We had to head in before the fireworks finished the bugs were horrible and the baby was tired and getting eatin alive. Shy hung out with the guys for a while but headed in to get to bed early.

We got up early and headed over to the campus to get in line early. Womack was there and I got some time to talk with his dad and him a bit...great guys also. There was 200 kids in the summer start program and they all stay in the dorms for 6 weeks. All of the kids have 2 classes together Shy is the only football player taking 4 classes. The staff didnt know he had 4 and didnt want him taking the extra 2 but after meeting with the advisors they all agreed Shy taking these extra 2 classes is best for his getting goin in college so he will take the 4.

We had Shy get registered and got his room number. He is rooming with Troy this year. Troy came in late so we had Shy all moved in bed made clothes put away fan running and tv playing before he was in to start. We ate lunch in the cafe with Shy then had to run to meetings. We left Shy with the guys and they got to hang out for a few hours before his meetings started. We got a preview of what summer start is and how they run things then got to meet with the football staff for an over view of what they expect from us as parents going forward.

At the meeting and leading up to the meeting a bunch of parents of parents figured out who I was and came and said they have read the board and though they dont post here loved what I had written and dont post here but do read the board. A few even mentioned the twitter stuff we do and said they loved all the edits and movies we do. It was great to meet so many of the parents.

After the meetings we had about 10 minutes to find Shy and say good bye before he headed into his meetings for a few hours. Everyone got pretty emotional so it was kinda good we only had a few minutes to get through it before he had to run. Shy hung tough but i think saying good bye to JJ was hardest for him.

The coaches are on vacation for the next 4 weeks. They will take turns being available for the kids but Shafer wants them to leave the kids alone till Aug 1st. They start with coach hicks and the trainers I believe today at 3 or it may be tomorrow for physicals and testing to see we they are physically and lifting wise. Then they will get right into working out this week.

We are pretty excited to see where he ends up in this whole process. I found it funny that yesterday one of the reporters wrote an article that I read right as i left him. It was a list of all the kids that are on campus and kind of an over view of the players. Shy was the only kid in the article the writer went out of his way to say he wont play this year. Every other player was either said to be expected to play right away or had no mention. Shy was the only one they dont expect to play. I have seen on here A few people write posts saying what they think of the defense and a few dont mention Shy. You may think this upsets me but it doesnt. First off Shy is under no pressure except his own now. No body thinks he will make it so if he doesnt it wont be a surprise. I have said before I wonder how Shy will do on the next level. I have no idea. I will tell you as I have before Shy is in unbelievable shape. I have shared his weight room numbers and workout regiment. I honestly dont know how he will compare to kids he will play against. I know other colleges didnt offer because they worried about his grades. He over came it. I know people have questioned if he could turn it around. He did it. People questioned if he could put the work in to make it on time or if he would have to prep. He made it. There is a story coming out in the next week or so on Shy's life. You will get to see what he has overcome his whole life to be here today. Maybe he wont have the ability to play on the next level maybe he will. But i will guarantee you no one has worked harder or tried harder to be where he is. I hope he proves all the people saying he isnt as good as the other players wrong. I hope as he goes in as an under dog again he will shock them all. But we will see...

The line man have to run all the 110 yard sprints in under 18 seconds each with a 45 second break between each one. The linebackers are 16 and rb are 14 seconds
Ouch...good luck to them. I hated conditioning drills. Golf has a much more civilized training regimen...

Ouch...good luck to them. I hated conditioning drills. Golf has a much more civilized training regimen...
th

So I guess yesterday was the end of the whole process for Shy. We drove up saturday and dropped our stuff off at the hotel and ran over to the mall. We met up with the Duerigs, Byrnes, and clarks for dinner at the Brewery. All great people and great kids. We ate dinner then Shy went with the guys to campus for a couple hours before they all headed back to the hotel we and the duerigs stayed at to watch the fireworks. We had invited a few other families but alot of them had other plans already and some were not driving up until sunday. We had to head in before the fireworks finished the bugs were horrible and the baby was tired and getting eatin alive. Shy hung out with the guys for a while but headed in to get to bed early.

We got up early and headed over to the campus to get in line early. Womack was there and I got some time to talk with his dad and him a bit...great guys also. There was 200 kids in the summer start program and they all stay in the dorms for 6 weeks. All of the kids have 2 classes together Shy is the only football player taking 4 classes. The staff didnt know he had 4 and didnt want him taking the extra 2 but after meeting with the advisors they all agreed Shy taking these extra 2 classes is best for his getting goin in college so he will take the 4.

We had Shy get registered and got his room number. He is rooming with Troy this year. Troy came in late so we had Shy all moved in bed made clothes put away fan running and tv playing before he was in to start. We ate lunch in the cafe with Shy then had to run to meetings. We left Shy with the guys and they got to hang out for a few hours before his meetings started. We got a preview of what summer start is and how they run things then got to meet with the football staff for an over view of what they expect from us as parents going forward.

At the meeting and leading up to the meeting a bunch of parents of parents figured out who I was and came and said they have read the board and though they dont post here loved what I had written and dont post here but do read the board. A few even mentioned the twitter stuff we do and said they loved all the edits and movies we do. It was great to meet so many of the parents.

After the meetings we had about 10 minutes to find Shy and say good bye before he headed into his meetings for a few hours. Everyone got pretty emotional so it was kinda good we only had a few minutes to get through it before he had to run. Shy hung tough but i think saying good bye to JJ was hardest for him.

The coaches are on vacation for the next 4 weeks. They will take turns being available for the kids but Shafer wants them to leave the kids alone till Aug 1st. They start with coach hicks and the trainers I believe today at 3 or it may be tomorrow for physicals and testing to see we they are physically and lifting wise. Then they will get right into working out this week.

We are pretty excited to see where he ends up in this whole process. I found it funny that yesterday one of the reporters wrote an article that I read right as i left him. It was a list of all the kids that are on campus and kind of an over view of the players. Shy was the only kid in the article the writer went out of his way to say he wont play this year. Every other player was either said to be expected to play right away or had no mention. Shy was the only one they dont expect to play. I have seen on here A few people write posts saying what they think of the defense and a few dont mention Shy. You may think this upsets me but it doesnt. First off Shy is under no pressure except his own now. No body thinks he will make it so if he doesnt it wont be a surprise. I have said before I wonder how Shy will do on the next level. I have no idea. I will tell you as I have before Shy is in unbelievable shape. I have shared his weight room numbers and workout regiment. I honestly dont know how he will compare to kids he will play against. I know other colleges didnt offer because they worried about his grades. He over came it. I know people have questioned if he could turn it around. He did it. People questioned if he could put the work in to make it on time or if he would have to prep. He made it. There is a story coming out in the next week or so on Shy's life. You will get to see what he has overcome his whole life to be here today. Maybe he wont have the ability to play on the next level maybe he will. But i will guarantee you no one has worked harder or tried harder to be where he is. I hope he proves all the people saying he isnt as good as the other players wrong. I hope as he goes in as an under dog again he will shock them all. But we will see...

Bam, as many others have said above, thanks for the detailed write up. It is cool to get a sneak peek behind the curtain for what the incoming frosh are experiencing as they join the program.

I just have one thought I'd like to leave you with: redshirting isn't necessarily the worst thing, and certainly would NOT constitute failure for Shy this year. I know he's worked unbelievably hard to get to this point. And believe me--that work ethic will serve him well.

But not making his way onto the playing field this year has ZERO to do with his long term potential. In fact, it could be a blessing in disguise. It would enable Shy to:

• Get his feet firmly planted academically, with a whole year [plus two summer sessions] under his belt before he has to worry about the additional pressure of game prep / having to play
  • Learn the defensive system and what his assignments are
  • Have an extra year to get acclimated to the speed of the college game
  • Have an extra year to physically mature [not suggesting he isn't strong already] in a collegiate S&C program
  • Space him out a year eligibility-wise from some of the guys who are entrenched as starters ahead of him on the depth chart
So, while not seeing the field this year might seem like Shy not achieving his goal, it is far from it in actuality. I'd rather see him not play and have a great 5th season for us as an exerpienced senior than have him blow a year of eligibility for a handful of defensive snaps and some token special teams play this year.

Whatever happens, I hope that Shy maximizes his college experience both in the classroom and on the gridiron. Redshirting might be the ticket to doing so.

Last edited:
Thanks I appreciate the thoughts. I do understand the benefits of red shirting this year. What ever happens happens. I told him work hard listen to the coaches study hard and do good in athletics and academics. I know shy will be disappointed he does want to play true freshman. He looks at it as a badge of honor. He wants to be able to say he was ready his work did pay Off in more ways than one. I personally would like to see the redshirt used only if he Was to God forbid get hurt. But he and I both get where he is at coming in behind people. We will see where it ends up

Thanks I appreciate the thoughts. I do understand the benefits of red shirting this year. What ever happens happens. I told him work hard listen to the coaches study hard and do good in athletics and academics. I know shy will be disappointed he does want to play true freshman. He looks at it as a badge of honor. He wants to be able to say he was ready his work did pay Off in more ways than one. I personally would like to see the redshirt used only if he Was to God forbid get hurt. But he and I both get where he is at coming in behind people. We will see where it ends up

Looking at, and around Shy I see some of the best young linebackers in the ACC. He certainly has his work cut out for him, as do all other linebackers in his class. I think the amount of work Shy's put in has been extremely admirable and impressive. I'll be rooting for him all summer.

209 210 is the heaviest he has ever been I can't wait to see him August 15th hopefully he puts on another 2 or 3 by then. I told him to start eating more beef and less chicken and add more fat. He has been talking to me about muscle fatigue since he got there and I think seeing his bOdy fat so low is why. I'd like to see him 220 with 8 percent.

209 210 is the heaviest he has ever been I can't wait to see him August 15th hopefully he puts on another 2 or 3 by then. I told him to start eating more beef and less chicken and add more fat. He has been talking to me about muscle fatigue since he got there and I think seeing his bOdy fat so low is why. I'd like to see him 220 with 8 percent.

Moes =D

Anyways, is he taking advantage of the endless supply of Muscle Milk?