Class of 2016 - OLB Solomon Manning (NJ) Verbal to Rutgers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OLB Solomon Manning (NJ) Verbal to Rutgers

if we're not offering or accepting a commitment then he either didn't blow the staff away or we're simply in a good spot with some other kids. nice to maybe recruiting from a position of strength for a change.

th

if we're not offering or accepting a commitment then he either didn't blow the staff away or we're simply in a good spot with some other kids. nice to maybe recruiting from a position of strength for a change.

This staff has the ability to recruit, I'll say what has been said a million times on here, if we could just win some freaking games, this thing could take off.

Agreed, and let's be honest, we wouldn't be hearing about this at all if not for the Rutgers ultimatum to the kid. He wanted to get in on Syracuse before Rutgers pulled their offer, but we weren't ready to take him (we've got some other LBs we have rated higher right now...he's pretty clearly a plan B option, which sucks for him but again, it's Rutgers putting him in this position).

We have some pretty good options ahead of him on our board. We'll see how it plays out.
But, but, he's 3 STARS. I don't need to know anything else about him, he is 3 STARS. And we have taken a couple prospects already who are TWO STARS. What the hell are we thinking?

[/rant off]

Periodic outburst at lazy headline writers who can't help themselves, gotta refer to everyone as "N STAR prospect yadayada". Heck, if a headline refers to someone as "2 STAR PROSPECT" I might as well not even read it!

But, but, he's 3 STARS. I don't need to know anything else about him, he is 3 STARS. And we have taken a couple prospects already who are TWO STARS. What the hell are we thinking?

[/rant off]

Periodic outburst at lazy headline writers who can't help themselves, gotta refer to everyone as "N STAR prospect yadayada". Heck, if a headline refers to someone as "2 STAR PROSPECT" I might as well not even read it!
Heck, Scoop Bradshaw is unrated by some services, and I think he's going to wind up being one of the best players in this class.

Heck, Scoop Bradshaw is unrated by some services, and I think he's going to wind up being one of the best players in this class.
I trust the staff. They can find talent, have good contacts feeding them leads, and are playing a delicate game with expectations of who we can reasonably get versus shooting for the stars. Is it my imagination or has the profile of our visitors taken a big jump up this recruiting cycle?

javadoc said:
But, but, he's 3 STARS. I don't need to know anything else about him, he is 3 STARS. And we have taken a couple prospects already who are TWO STARS. What the hell are we thinking? [/rant off] Periodic outburst at lazy headline writers who can't help themselves, gotta refer to everyone as "N STAR prospect yadayada". Heck, if a headline refers to someone as "2 STAR PROSPECT" I might as well not even read it!

Troll media hacks gotta troll...

I hope this young man doesn't get pressured into the business side of college recruiting and commit to a program that he will intimately regret. IMO this sucks and I feel for the kid. I remember this experience wish I could play the entire process over again. Follow your gut and be patient.

Scratching my head on this one...this kid can play. I wish him the best, seems like a hard worker with a good head on his shoulders.

I sure hope that SU pulls in the recruits they had rated higher than him.
So do I, but I also think this is one of the few positions where we have enough good young talents that we can afford to be a little picky and play a little more dangerously by holding out for those top kids.

So do I, but I also think this is one of the few positions where we have enough good young talents that we can afford to be a little picky and play a little more dangerously by holding out for those top kids.
True. We have a plethora of young, talented LBs. I hate to not take a talented kid, but would be much more upset if it was a lineman, or a DB.

IraSez said:
Seems like there is a piece or two of info we are missing with this one.

Yup, something not quite right.

Seems like there is a piece or two of info we are missing with this one.
Not really. Our coaching staff wasn't 100% convinced, so they weren't ready to take his commitment, especially since he's not at the top of their board and the guys who ARE at the top of the board are still strongly considering pledging to SU. So do you take his commit, because it's there, and risk losing out on one of your top guys? Or do you tell him you aren't ready to take him yet?

Seems pretty clear to me.

Not really. Our coaching staff wasn't 100% convinced, so they weren't ready to take his commitment, especially since he's not at the top of their board and the guys who ARE at the top of the board are still strongly considering pledging to SU. So do you take his commit, because it's there, and risk losing out on one of your top guys? Or do you tell him you aren't ready to take him yet?

Seems pretty clear to me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS.

why does something not seem quite right? he camped here and we wouldn't let him commit. that's called one of those non-commitable offers because you're down on the pecking order. I think this is really simply. If the kid blew the doors off the camp we would've happily accepted his commitment.

I'll put it another way: you don't take a Plan B just because he wants to commit when all of your Plan A's are still available and interested.

I did feel the need to write about this non-committable vs committable offer trend, though, which is older than people probably realize but no less unfortunate: http://.com/the-murky-waters-of-committable-offers/

jekelish said:
Not really. Our coaching staff wasn't 100% convinced, so they weren't ready to take his commitment, especially since he's not at the top of their board and the guys who ARE at the top of the board are still strongly considering pledging to SU. So do you take his commit, because it's there, and risk losing out on one of your top guys? Or do you tell him you aren't ready to take him yet? Seems pretty clear to me.

Yep. And he needed to know by today as his Rutgers ship was sailing. It's as simple as we were not ready, while Rutgers was applying pressure.

Kid will keep his options open I'd bet.

I'll put it another way: you don't take a Plan B just because he wants to commit when all of your Plan A's are still available and interested.

I did feel the need to write about this non-committable vs committable offer trend, though, which is older than people probably realize but no less unfortunate: http://.com/the-murky-waters-of-committable-offers/

Excellent article.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom