On The Block no more | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

I'm appalled. I began listening to his old show on 1260 when I retired in 2009 and found him friendly and intelligent as well as passionate about Syracuse sports. His takes seemed right on target 90% of the time and I found him very entertaining to listen to. I missed him when he was just doing his Suracuse.com work and was glad when he came back. He's been a staple of my day ever since and now there's a hole in it.

I don't listen to the national shows because they know next to nothing about Syracuse sports and the local shows cover national issues as well as they do with a lot less 'attitude'.

Brian Higgins show is a good one and I hope he'll get that spot. It's certainly not going to be JB. That would be the last thing he'd ever do.

I’m begging for a good Syracuse sports show that I could listen to daily. Brent was unfunny and talked way too much non SU for me.

I listened to Higgins briefly the past couple weeks, he didn’t do it for me. We got spoiled with Schein and Parkins

Music? Podcasts about history and current events?

I'll talk about sports with my friends but I couldn't care less about the opinions of Brent Axe or Stephen A Smith or any other random talking head.

I grew up listening to sports talk radio and my life got better when I stopped caring it.
funny because thinking about podcasts on “current events” make me break out in hives.

funny because thinking about podcasts on “current events” make me break out in hives.
Music podcasts(?uestlove Supreme) and Devendorf’s podcast would be the only ones I could listen to.

Years ago, Jalen and Jacoby’s podcast was a must for me.

“Currents events” wouldn’t do it for me….just like they didn’t do it for me when I had to cut some BS out of the newspaper and talk about it to the class in 8th grade Social Studies.

I'm appalled. I began listening to his old show on 1260 when I retired in 2009 and found him friendly and intelligent as well as passionate about Syracuse sports. His takes seemed right on target 90% of the time and I found him very entertaining to listen to. I missed him when he was just doing his Suracuse.com work and was glad when he came back. He's been a staple of my day ever since and now there's a hole in it.

I don't listen to the national shows because they know next to nothing about Syracuse sports and the local shows cover national issues as well as they do with a lot less 'attitude'.

Brian Higgins show is a good one and I hope he'll get that spot. It's certainly not going to be JB. That would be the last thing he'd ever do.
I think you may have hit on something. This was probably a cost-cutting decision. Brent was probably their highest paid host. They eliminated him, just slot Higgins to drive time. That 2-4 slot is probably the least listened to. Just plug in ESPN national programming those 2 hours. 2-4 has always been inconsistent with them. On Twitch, they had the Utica guys lead in to Brent's show for a long time, they stopped that and I think Matt Park had a show in that slot too but that was discontinued too. Get rid of the highest paid guy and just shift Higgins two hours later. But it means 2 hours less of local programming. Keep on chiseling away the local stuff for national and you won't have a radio station anymore, there would be no reason to listen to ESPN Syracuse.

I don’t think we’d get anyone better be realistic.

I liked him overall this isn’t a good thing.
That’s a defeatist attitude. There’s tons of people better - I dealt with him when I was a student covering the team and he was an embarrassment. He hasn’t gotten much better.

Higgins is fine but he won't push on the Syracuse admin like Brent did. Brent had a loud megaphone and wasn't afraid to speak for the fan when needed. It's a big big loss for Syracuse fans who want the ability to push back on the narrative when it is needed.

Music podcasts(?uestlove Supreme) and Devendorf’s podcast would be the only ones I could listen to.

Years ago, Jalen and Jacoby’s podcast was a must for me.

“Currents events” wouldn’t do it for me….just like they didn’t do it for me when I had to cut some BS out of the newspaper and talk about it to the class in 8th grade Social Studies.

One Shining Podcast is back on The Ringer with Tate Frazier if your looking for college ball coverage. He talked Boeheim a bit last episode.

I listen to Plain English with Derek Thompson, Simmons’ podcast when he’s talking NBA and doing nfl guess the lines, and whatever Rob Mahoney is on. He’s slotted into my Zach Lowe spot (not that I won’t listen to Zach Lowe).

Also. 60 Songs That Explain the 90s is really good, imo.

Bring back Julian Whigham. Currently a reporter for the Palm Beach Post.

Whigham works in Finance in the NYC area last I knew - doesnt work for the Palm Beach Post.

Word. The 2 best we’ve had.
Definitely. Schein and Parkins were pros and it was immediately obvious from day one. Which is why they quickly moved to bigger markets. I'm sure Brent is a nice guy. He seemed passionate about his show and Syracuse sports. His coverage was topical, which made it interesting in that respect. But...for me his knowledge was superficial at best. All the cliches and "H0T Takes" could not cover up that fundamental flaw.

I really enjoyed Brent. Seems like a good guy too. Hope he lands a new radio gig soon.

Maybe he'll go back to "The Score 1260". That's where is listened to him from 2009 to the middle of the last decade. He's a radio guy, not Red Smith.

Music? Podcasts about history and current events?

I'll talk about sports with my friends but I couldn't care less about the opinions of Brent Axe or Stephen A Smith or any other random talking head.

I grew up listening to sports talk radio and my life got better when I stopped caring it.
ESPN Syracuse makes these shows into podcast form. It is the only way I am able to get content centric to SU sports in the Philadelphia area, whenever I want.

You have your preferences, that is fine. My life would get very marginally worse, and have a lot less SU in it, if ESPN Syracuse stopped doing sports radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom