One area we "should" improve | Syracusefan.com

One area we "should" improve

anomander

Living Legend
I have been very disappointed with our defense so far. I pretty much accepted the fact that we would struggle offensively, especially shooting the ball, but I expected our defense to keep us in every single game. Right now we are seeing far too many slow rotations, poor close outs, and guard penetration. It's expected early in the season, with 2 Freshman starting, but we are far behind the last couple years on that end of the floor. We are really going to need to make some progress on that end of the floor if we want to have a decent season.

Good thing is that part of the game should be easier the fix. The offense were pretty much stuck with.

I have been very disappointed with our defense so far. I pretty much accepted the fact that we would struggle offensively, especially shooting the ball, but I expected our defense to keep us in every single game. Right now we are seeing far too many slow rotations, poor close outs, and guard penetration. It's expected early in the season, with 2 Freshman starting, but we are far behind the last couple years on that end of the floor. We are really going to need to make some progress on that end of the floor if we want to have a decent season.

Good thing is that part of the game should be easier the fix. The offense were pretty much stuck with.

I think we will cut down on the turnovers as well. We need to get used to playing as a unit. These guys haven't played together much. Playing as a team on offense will help us tremendously. We are making too many passes to guys in areas where it makes it more difficult for our guys to score.

Lots of new faces + several guys who haven't played before = defensive lapses.

I agree--some of that can get ironed out as these guys gain experience. There's no reason why a frontcourt of Rak / McCullough / Roberson can't be very good defensively, with their ability to cover ground.

Lots of new faces + several guys who haven't played before = defensive lapses.

I agree--some of that can get ironed out as these guys gain experience. There's no reason why a frontcourt of Rak / McCullough / Roberson can't be very good defensively, with their ability to cover ground.

Maybe it was just me, but the 1 area that was bothering me the most was I felt we weren't closing out hard enough...especially last night. We have the length, and athleticism, so I am sure JB will get into them on this, but you take for granted guys like BMK, who helped set the tone on that end of the floor.

Maybe it was just me, but the 1 area that was bothering me the most was I felt we weren't closing out hard enough...especially last night. We have the length, and athleticism, so I am sure JB will get into them on this, but you take for granted guys like BMK, who helped set the tone on that end of the floor.

The rotations are so important. If you're out of position, guys are open. And right now, we chase the ball and leave guys wide open--or guys even more wide open after a secondary pass. At some point, things will hopefully click a little more and we'll stop chasing / being out of position.

I think we've got the raw materials to be solid defensively--depends on how quickly they learn.

There have been periods of very good defense. I think they will come along. Kaleb needs to learn how to keep the entry pass from the top of the circle out of the lane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom