One last Clemson thought before moving on to UM | Syracusefan.com

One last Clemson thought before moving on to UM

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

After seeing these images above on one of the ABC games a few years back with all the hype, pomp, etc., I at the time never thought in a million years given the state of our program and seeing the startlingly impressive nature of all of that above, I began to go down the rabbit hole and started thinking that we'd never get back to the point of competing with the likes of Clemson or the best in the country, let alone beating them.

I'm old enough to recall the good years here but the relentlessness of the soul crushing losses and resultant pounding down of the psyche the last 16 years, yes with the occassional bone of hope thrown our way to frankly make it all worse; well I started to think anything even approaching the glory days were gone for good.

Well thank God for HCDFB and all he represents and has brought here because I have news for the rest of country that Syracuse football is on its way back. It's tempting to say IS 100% back because the nature of the Clemson victory was so thorough and no fluke. If you had told me we'd beat them with getting no turnovers, overcoming bad refs, having little to no gimmick plays I'd not have believed it. But it did happen. Statistically speaking we dominated them. Physically speaking we dominated them. No fluke. Welcome back to relevancy Cuse nation and Cuse football.

The mountain top has not been reached yet, I know that, the mountain side still need be traversed as there a long way to go before becoming consistently good vs occassionally great as there's going to be many more soul shaking moments of doubt and concern. But the overall trend line is nothing but up my Cuse friends in the big picture perspective. Yes there will be peaks and valleys but we can realistically say, finally after all these years, that the future looks bright.

HCDFB has shown its possible once more, it's possible to be competitive with the best, it's possible to beat them once in a while, and just as importantly it's possible to be at least competitive with ANYBODY on the schedule. And that bring us to Miami. It's going to be a hurculean challenge this weekend no doubt, but after Friday can anybody bet against us having a shot? Guess what, no they can't.

That's because Syracuse football is back my friends.

Last edited:
Great post, Mike. Gave me the chills to be honest.

My obsession with Syracuse Football has truly led me on a rollercoaster ride for the last 15 years.

I really, really think Babers is our guy and he can be the one to right the ship. Every day, more and more of the Orange Nation, buy into his vision.

As he fills his cupboard with more and more of his players, the depth will be there and the foundation will be secure.

Thank you for picking Syracuse, Dino. We're damn lucky to have you and your staff.

There have been signs the last few games that something special was coming. This was the first game that I saw us ready to bring it right from the beginning. Not sure how the rest of the season falls, but finally feel that no matter who is on the other side of the ball we have a chance. Me thinks gone are the days other teams peg the Cuse as a gimme win game!

Great post. As Dino has said, our 1s are good, but we are short of quality depth. Keep those 1s healthy, get Strickland going as he was against Clemson, and this team can be consistently good.

I haven't been around much, but wanted to congratulate you on the awesome win, and this seems like as good a place as any. Spectacular performance, especially because for anyone who watched the game, Syracuse was the better team the whole night. This was not one of these mega upsets where the favorite just melts down. For one night at least, you guys just flat out played with them and handled them. I saw Washington State and Washington just totally fall apart in their losses, but you just flat beat a really good team.

Dino is a good one, like most people thought. I think you hold him for at least one more year, and maybe a lot more. At his age, I don't see him leaving for anything less than a big time, top-10 type job. And if Syracuse gets a rep as a place from where you can snag that type of job, you should have a lot of great choices (until Syracuse IS is that type of job).

I was really happy for your guys.

I haven't been around much, but wanted to congratulate you on the awesome win, and this seems like as good a place as any. Spectacular performance, especially because for anyone who watched the game, Syracuse was the better team the whole night. This was not one of these mega upsets where the favorite just melts down. For one night at least, you guys just flat out played with them and handled them. I saw Washington State and Washington just totally fall apart in their losses, but you just flat beat a really good team.

Dino is a good one, like most people thought. I think you hold him for at least one more year, and maybe a lot more. At his age, I don't see him leaving for anything less than a big time, top-10 type job. And if Syracuse gets a rep as a place from where you can snag that type of job, you should have a lot of great choices (until Syracuse IS is that type of job).

I was really happy for your guys.
I actually said that to a friend after the game. Normally a lot of crazy things have to happen for a huge upset like that but they won without forcing any turnovers and without using a bunch of trick plays. SU played them straight up and just beat them.

I actually said that to a friend after the game. Normally a lot of crazy things have to happen for a huge upset like that but they won without forcing any turnovers and without using a bunch of trick plays. SU played them straight up and just beat them.
If anything the fluke factor went Clemson's way with the TD called back immediately followed by the fumble / TD. A 14 point swing.

View attachment 113059 View attachment 113060 View attachment 113061 View attachment 113062
After seeing these images above on one of the ABC games a few years back with all the hype, pomp, etc., I at the time never thought in a million years given the state of our program and seeing the startlingly impressive nature of all of that above that we'd ever get back to the point of competing with the likes of Clemson or the best in the country, let alone beating them.

I'm old enough to recall the good years here but the relentlessness of the soul crushing losses and resultant pounding down of the psyche the last 16 years, yes with the occassional bone of hope thrown our way to frankly make it all worse; well I started to think anything even approaching the glory days were gone for good.

Well thank God for HCDFB and all he's represents and has brought here because I have news for the rest of country that Syracuse football is on its way back. It's tempting to say IS 100% back because the nature of the Clemson victory was so thorough and no fluke. If you had told me we'd beat them with getting no turnovers, overcoming bad refs, having little to no gimmick plays I'd not have believed it. But it did happen. Statistically speaking we dominated them. Physically speaking we dominated them. No fluke. Welcome back to relevancy Cuse nation and Cuse football.

The mountain top has not been reached yet, I know that, the mountain side still need be traversed as there a long way to go before becoming consistently good vs occassionally great as there's going to be many more soul shaking moments of doubt and concern. But the overall trend line is nothing but up my Cuse friends in the big picture perspective. Yes there will be peaks and valleys but we can realistically say, finally after all these years, that the future looks bright.

HCDFB has shown its possible once more, it's possible to be competitive with the best, it's possible to beat them once in a while, and just as importantly it's possible to be at least competitive with ANYBODY on the schedule. And that bring us to Miami. It's going to be a hurculean challenge this weekend no doubt, but after Friday can anybody bet against us having a shot? Guess what, no they can't.

That's because Syracuse football is back my friends.

Back in 1973 while I sat on the hard and rain-soaked concrete of Archbold Stadium through an awful loss to Tony Eason and the Illini in the Carrier Dome in I think 1982, I recall believing that I would never see the Orangemen make it back to a major bowl.

And, in 1987 I found myself watching Syracuse University take on the Auburn Tigers in the Sugar Bowl. And then I found myself watching my team in the Fiesta Bowl - etc.

The history of this football program is so strong that it can withstand tough years.

When the University decides to spend money and to invest in the Program - see Manley Field House - Carrier Dome - Ensley Center - we can win football games.

Now the Administration has to maintain the momentum and allow Coach Babers and his staff to truly compete with the rest of the ACC and the other power conferences through additional investments in staff and infrastructure.

It has been done before but it must be done better now.

P.S. Bring back the Coach Mac uniforms! (the obligatory comment for Mr. Cusian)

The Washington sports reporters talked about Dabo going into the SU locker room afterwards. Surprisingly they concluded it was something condescending and douchey that a Coach K would do.

Great post CR! I remember a couple posts you made during the low times about giving up your season tickets and just going to the lake if we didn't get it turned around by I think, 2020. Those even depressed me - we can't afford to lose fans like you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom