One of the least-informed posts ever ... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

One of the least-informed posts ever ...

CTO re: fan (donor support). Ive mentioned this in other posts but if there are specific things the athletic department or football team needs the we need to be a bit more organized in how we go after these funds. A donor outreach plan with a well articulated message on what the need is and how the money would be used would go a long way. Need to be more deliberate and proactive in asking for funding. My 2 cents as an alum and a lifelong fan of the program.

I responded to the post from chakka3421, but since mine was the 133rd response on the 9th page in a thread that already had nearly 5700 views, I doubt many have seen it. So I will repost it here...

"You have no clue as to what you are talking about (in stating that the Board of Trustees has refused to build a new football practice facility).

"The school/trustees would love to build a new football practice facility....as soon as the football program raises a certain percentage of the money needed for it.

"This is exactly how the Melo facility was built...and how Newhouse III was built ... and how the new law school is being built. The school committed to none of them ... until the money was raised.

"This is how athletic facilities on most campuses are built...they are mainly funded by substantial private donations. For an example close to home, look at the football facility and soon-to-be-built basketball facility at UConn -- both funded by private donations.

"When Doug talks about fan support ... he is in part talking about the extreme difficulty in raising the money that the program needs to build necessary facilities."

I have to believe that a percentage of the problem with contract negotiations and HCDM's demands lie in the fact that he was calling this his dream job.

It's hard to negotiate from that position. Have to think the BOT is thinking no way this guy leaves... Maybe this is DM way of letting them know he's serious.

Pay the man.

I have to believe that a percentage of the problem with contract negotiations and HCDM's demands lie in the fact that he was calling this his dream job.

It's hard to negotiate from that position. Have to think the BOT is thinking no way this guy leaves... Maybe this is DM way of letting them know he's serious.

Pay the man.
Pay is not an issue.

Pay is not an issue.

Interesting. If not pay, it has to be leverage for facilities and staff. It's the only thing that squares with his love of the university.

Or he just wants to be an NFL coach. I guess I can't fault either reason. Just seems like such a craptastic turn of events...

Pay is not an issue.

First thanks for your comments in helping us to better understand what is happening.

question about indoor practice facility:

1) my impression is that there had been significant improvements to the current indoor practice facility, which I believe provides an 80 yard field. Is this correct? For those who have seen the facility, is it so inadequate that a completely new facility is needed?

2) thoughts re timing:
with the bowl win against WVU, the late seasons wins against Big East teams, a feeling that recruiting has improved and players are showing improvements, combined with the move to the ACC this July, it would seem that coach DM and staff and DG have created the setting for greater fan interest, greater attendance and continued improvements in recruiting and greater ACC revenue to support the program.

Donors I would think don't make large contributions unless they see a program worth supporting. The next 2 years could be important in moving SU back to the next level. I would think, as an outsider, that Doug would want to put in another 2 years to secure the advances he has worked so hard to make and allow time for the momentum to create the donations and improved attendance he no doubt wants.

Perhas the most surprising part of all this is the feeling that if Doug takes another position and likely pulls key staff members with him, he will be undoing all he has worked for these last few years and putting the program back in jeoparty. Still trying to understand the motives at play.

Doug has a bit of a temper and doesnt like to be questioned. I wonder if this is a little bit of a conflict between him and some of the board members. This cant be just about the fans. I also wonder if he just simply wants to coach in the NFL

First thanks for your comments in helping us to better understand what is happening.

question about indoor practice facility:

1) my impression is that there had been significant improvements to the current indoor practice facility, which I believe provides an 80 yard field. Is this correct? For those who have seen the facility, is it so inadequate that a completely new facility is needed?

2) thoughts re timing:
with the bowl win against WVU, the late seasons wins against Big East teams, a feeling that recruiting has improved and players are showing improvements, combined with the move to the ACC this July, it would seem that coach DM and staff and DG have created the setting for greater fan interest, greater attendance and continued improvements in recruiting and greater ACC revenue to support the program.

Donors I would think don't make large contributions unless they see a program worth supporting. The next 2 years could be important in moving SU back to the next level. I would think, as an outsider, that Doug would want to put in another 2 years to secure the advances he has worked so hard to make and allow time for the momentum to create the donations and improved attendance he no doubt wants.

Perhas the most surprising part of all this is the feeling that if Doug takes another position and likely pulls key staff members with him, he will be undoing all he has worked for these last few years and putting the program back in jeoparty. Still trying to understand the motives at play.

Whether or not Manley is adequate is not the root of the issue IMHO its what Manley is vs what Marrone is competing against ... some of the practice facilities at other ACC schools, SEC schools and what not make Manley look like a carport up against a 5 story parking garage. Its more about gaining some recruiting leverage IMHO or at least leveling the playing field.

Holy crap! I had no idea that my classmate Danny, for that is what my friends & I called him when we frequently used to eat at the same table in SU dining halls, was connected to Calyle. I can tell you he came from a very working class family around Pittsburgh (father was a steel worker, I believe). He was just a regular Joe, a good guy. Wish I had kept in touch with him :)!
BTW - D'Aniello was a jock - on the SU Gymnastics team http://suathletics.syr.edu/sports/2002/10/17/gymnasticsletterwinners.aspx

Here is a picture of the groundbreaking for the Melo Center. Who in this picture can't you identify? Answer that...and you answer your own question.

9311410-essay.jpg

OMG it's Kennie's 2 Pennies

that guy is sandbagging us, a lot more than 2 pennies there

ktpn.jpg

Doug has a bit of a temper and doesnt like to be questioned. I wonder if this is a little bit of a conflict between him and some of the board members. This cant be just about the fans. I also wonder if he just simply wants to coach in the NFL

You do know a lot I see. It's not about fans it's about resources - coaches comp both his and assistants & facilities. Much of the upgrades besides the Dome upgrades are due to HCDMs persistence versus TGD & BoT saying to HCDM - "what do you need for us to do to help you win recruiting battles & games?" Attitudes need to quickly change - a Charlie Strong type offer needs to occur soon for both comp & commitment to the football program or we just lost our HC to the NFL.

First, CTO is one of the best posters of fact and universtiy position on this board. She has demonstrated along with Jake, Bees, Orangeyes, and others ...not only a love for 'Cuse but also taken substantitive positions that typically are supported by "insider" fact.

Interestingly, other universities (source) are indicating that this is a very important decision. Remember that the ACC has schools at opposite ends of the spectrum...rich such as UNC and VA and state supported like NCstate and FSU and private such as Wake Forest and Duke. The 'Cuse offer to join was made on many different levels but certainly because of a belief that football is important to SU...certainly tradition says it is...so now, with the availability of making 2X to 4X more conference dollars for TV contract etc, it really is time to demonstrate that 'Cuse is a football player. Afterall, Duke and Wake etc are being challanged to bring football up to a higher standard...which means spending more dollars.

The realignment issues at stake, demonstrate what happens to those universities and conferences that don't spend dollars on making football important...The BE comes to mind...just about gone. A university cannot be half in when it comes to football...if your desire is to make significant TV dollars than you must do so by spending signifcant dollars against the sport that is bringing in 80% of the TV dollars...otherwise, 'Cuse belongs with the 7 bball schools...half way will not hold water if and when conferences continue to realign based on football expenditures (Rutgers aside...unless 'Cuse has a B1g invite we don't know about).

Bottom line is we need to build the practice facility...need to pay Doug (and don't forget JB is not a top 10 bball coach in salary so he should get more too)...we should try and find a means to make this happen...how do we generate the dollars to do this...who is our Under Armour...and if not one, who are the many that will provide $100-$500 for the pledge...I am in...there has to be 10,000 of us and a few that will match...that would be a terrific way toward helping meet this obligation...lets do it!

So this CTO person and Arbitragegls have both cited the fans lack of support (financial) as contributing factors to the lack of resources needed to get this practice facility off the ground.

Let call this what it is and it is bullsh#t.

The money is there right now so please get off the soapbox. The best home football games (USC, Penn State, Notre Dame) have been moved out of town for $$$, the commitment from the school has been made to the NYC $$$ fan base not local groups, and basketball has been forever altered with the ACC $$$ move. BOT needs to pull their pants up and just get it done without blaming the fans which has become typical of just about everyone associated with the school. After a while it just gets old.

They do not need any money but if they want to fleece the sheep then at least have the decency to lift the veil and work cooperatively with the CNY community for once in their damned lives. They would have the money by the end of the week.

In General I've always thought the university did a less than stellar job with alumni.
aside from Harvard, Notre Dame (which some alums would argue the opposite), and a few other schools, I think that is the general sentiment of all alums

Pay is not an issue.

Respectfully disagree - pay & contract extension is a major issue. You know you have to disclose the most highly comp employees on the annual IRS form that non profits must file every year, so why not announce it publicly now? Both Comp & contract extension - or is this too another SU BoT policy?