One UConn Observation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One UConn Observation

Our starting OLine from Saturday:
Lasker - 6'5" 312
Roberts - 6'4" 280
Byrne - 6'5" 312
Adams - 6'6" 333
McGloster - 6'7" 328

There are several large men on that line.

As noted, the argument that our OL is somehow undersized is simply not true.

Here is ND's starting OL:

LT 6'7" 310
LG 6'5" 325
C 6'2" 310
RG 6'4" 310
RT 6'6" 320

With the exception of Roberts for now, we're right there.

As noted, the argument that our OL is somehow undersized is simply not true.

Here is ND's starting OL:

LT 6'7" 310
LG 6'5" 325
C 6'2" 310
RG 6'4" 310
RT 6'6" 320

With the exception of Roberts for now, we're right there.
I'm curious why we don't get better push then. If Dungey is reading the defense correctly, we should have the advantage and we should see more space for our RB's. If teams are stacking for the run in the plays we do run it, does that mean Dungey has made the wrong read and should've thrown it?

I'm curious why we don't get better push then. If Dungey is reading the defense correctly, we should have the advantage and we should see more space for our RB's. If teams are stacking for the run in the plays we do run it, does that mean Dungey has made the wrong read and should've thrown it?

as some OP's have noted, it looked like the OL went into pass protection a couple of times on running plays called by ED. It doesn't look like everyone is on the same page every play right now. I also think a lot of it has to do with our current RB's not hitting the hole fast enough and lacking the size to survive contact with the first defender. It's not all on the OL.

as some OP's have noted, it looked like the OL went into pass protection a couple of times on running plays called by ED. It doesn't look like everyone is on the same page every play right now. I also think a lot of it has to do with our current RB's not hitting the hole fast enough and lacking the size to survive contact with the first defender. It's not all on the OL.

Sometimes in this O, they block RPO's the same way regardless (at least Baylor did). But I'm 100% sure there are plays where a miscommunication plays a big part in it sucking.

Hopefully their body types allow them to fill out well. Height doesn't guarantee the ability to add weight. If it was, we'd see bulkier basketball players.
Ability, or lack thereof, to add weight isn't the main reason there aren't bulky basketball players. Basketball players aren't bulkier because it is a detriment in D1 or NBA to be built like an OL. See DCII, for example.

It comes down to specificity of training and fitness. Fitness is the ability to perform a certain function (not body composition or aerobic capacity as many think). Optimum training achieves optimal fitness for a given task. An OL's task is to move large bodies, so they are trained to be large and strong. You can be extremely strong without being large, but you likely won't be able to move a larger person around for very long unless you are large yourself. Sepcificity is the same reason you don't see soccer players or tennis players with big upper bodies - it's not important to their game.

Finally watching the game. OLine looks to be holding it's own for sure. Did anyone else notice the amount of closed fist and knees coming into Syracuse players bodies when they where getting tackled by UCONN? It's unreal that non have been called...

Ability, or lack thereof, to add weight isn't the main reason there aren't bulky basketball players. Basketball players aren't bulkier because it is a detriment in D1 or NBA to be built like an OL. See DCII, for example.

It comes down to specificity of training and fitness. Fitness is the ability to perform a certain function (not body composition or aerobic capacity as many think). Optimum training achieves optimal fitness for a given task. An OL's task is to move large bodies, so they are trained to be large and strong. You can be extremely strong without being large, but you likely won't be able to move a larger person around for very long unless you are large yourself. Sepcificity is the same reason you don't see soccer players or tennis players with big upper bodies - it's not important to their game.
I get all that, I used to be a personal trainer. You also have to factor in different body types: ectomorph, mesomorph, or endomorph. Basketball players tend to be ectomorphs. My point was that we can't assume a tall guy will fill out and be as big as the guys that are naturally big without having to add the weight.

What I wonder is how much of a difference there is between a guy that has a natural set point in the 300+ range versus a guy that has to work to add 40 lbs to get there. In my experience, the guys with the higher set point tend to be more powerful.

I'm guessing we know we're not going to beat out the factories for the naturally big guys that have the requisite athleticism, so we're doing the next best thing, getting athletic guys that we hope will fill out their frame and retain the athleticism.

Briles liked big olines at Baylor too. Can we eventually bring in bigger guys that are athletic enough?
Clark is already 6-8-305 in a few years he will be all you want at OT.

Briles liked big olines at Baylor too. Can we eventually bring in bigger guys that are athletic enough?

Yes, this system wants taller, leaner and longer O-Linemen that can keep up with the up-tempo, no-huddle offense. Additionally, the linemen are spread out wider than say a power running team like Wisconsin. It's all about creating a pocket for Dungey with clear running lanes in the event he wants to hand it off.

Based on the recruits he signed last year and the ones he's currently going after, that's exactly the look they're targeting.

Averages

UConn 6'6 310 pounds
Syracuse 6'5 313 pounds

Sounds like Cody Conway might be back at LT next week. He is listed at 6'6 287 pounds. If you use him instead of Lasker, UConn and Syracuse average 6'6 and the SU average weight goes to 308. They are very close, in large part because Byrne and Adams are bigger than Emerich and Palmer.

Conway SO
Roberts SO
Byrne RFR
Adams RFR
McGloster RJR

If you believe these players are going to improve (I do), the future is pretty bright at OL.

And that group is about a pound or two bigger than the world champion Denver Broncos.

I think we all have to remember this is not sumo wrestling. Height/weight does not indicate agility/feet...and talent.

And that group is about a pound or two bigger than the world champion Denver Broncos.

I think we all have to remember this is not sumo wrestling. Height/weight does not indicate agility/feet...and talent.

You were saying?

Meldrum.jpg

Agreed, it's about athleticism. Height and weight are one thing but pretty much a given, give or take a few inches and 15-20 pounds... You can find fat 300 pound lineman at Ithaca College. How well can they move?

These tall kids especially have to be able to move.. Some times they look like they need a years worth of squats and agility drills.. I don't really care about measurables, how athletic are you? The good ones are all athletic, bad ones cant get out of there own way and we have had more of one than the other..

Difference between SUNY Cortland and Syracuse lineman, some size? sure but athleticism is the biggest separator..

I get all that, I used to be a personal trainer. You also have to factor in different body types: ectomorph, mesomorph, or endomorph. Basketball players tend to be ectomorphs. My point was that we can't assume a tall guy will fill out and be as big as the guys that are naturally big without having to add the weight.

What I wonder is how much of a difference there is between a guy that has a natural set point in the 300+ range versus a guy that has to work to add 40 lbs to get there. In my experience, the guys with the higher set point tend to be more powerful.

I'm guessing we know we're not going to beat out the factories for the naturally big guys that have the requisite athleticism, so we're doing the next best thing, getting athletic guys that we hope will fill out their frame and retain the athleticism.

Agreed and that is the route they are taking, raw frames and hoping with 2 years of S&C they can have legit strength and size but retain athleticism. Easier said than done, they will whiff on a few for sure

Agreed, it's about athleticism. Height and weight are one thing but pretty much a given, give or take a few inches and 15-20 pounds... You can find fat 300 pound lineman at Ithaca College. How well can they move?

These tall kids especially have to be able to move.. Some times they look like they need a years worth of squats and agility drills.. I don't really care about measurables, how athletic are you? The good ones are all athletic, bad ones cant get out of there own way and we have had more of one than the other..

Difference between SUNY Cortland and Syracuse lineman, some size? sure but athleticism is the biggest separator..
Yep, and one very important trait not mentioned is flexibility. Huge factor particularly in pass protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom