open mouth, insert soup...i mean foot | Syracusefan.com

open mouth, insert soup...i mean foot

i think you are right mad.

tiki broke the player code (Eli comments) and got rattled (youre a medal c*nt), i dont see that happening to mcnabb.

he doesnt give a flying F, hes just going all loosy goosy on this.

it takes a bit to get a good schtick.

not everybody walks into the studio/booth with 1 in place (Bradshaw), is a natural (Strahan) or is the straight man (Long).

theres a spot for a former (black) QB on tv.

he can fill it, he just needs to find himself before he blows himself up.

I'll always be a big fan of Donovan for his contributions at SU--both on the field and off as a trustee.

That said, I really think he needs to tone it down. For being such a likable guy, I'm still baffled by why he was such a lightning rod for controversy during his playing days. Really a shame, because that overshadows what was otherwise a pretty damn good career.

And I know that one "school" of sports commentary is to be controversial for the sake of being controversial, to drum up interest [positive and negative]. Many examples of personalities in both print and in front of the camera who fit into that category, I just don't get why McNabb wants to be one of them.

I caught some NFL network coverage this summer when McNabb was one of the in-studio analysts, and it seems like everything he says is designed to spark a controversy. I'm not saying that he has to be 100% vanilla, but I don't think this is the right approach for someone with his sense of humor and personality.

And given his history with Washington, I'm of the opinion that he probably needs to shut his trap when it comes to RGIII and Shanahan.

For years, Donovan took the "high road" on countless issues. Now that his career is over, it appears he is ready to cut loose and talk smack. Problem is, no one wants to hear it.

Donovan, please please please just shut up

The NFL is a meat market and McNabb knows it, the problem is if he opens his mouth he'll get crushed. RG3 will find this out soon enough when Shanahan uses him to save his own ass.

Oy, McNabb. He was just a great ambassador for so many things...then he's not a player any more and seemingly desperate to figure out his pedestal.

I have more hope for him than Tiki, however. Much more.

If McNabb wants to preserve the reputation he once had as a player, then he needs to remove himself from the NFL and get a college football analyst gig. I don't see any reason he couldn't be hired quickly for that.

Talking NFL is just going to continue to turn him into the person that it seemed like he never wanted to be.

Unless, of course, that's really who he wants to be. I hope not.