Opponent shooting %… | Syracusefan.com

Opponent shooting %…

Confused Agents Of Shield GIF by ABC Network

SU did not allow a single opponent to hit 60% of their field goals over eighteen years. This team has allowed three of our last four opponents to do that. Syracuse has allowed ACC opponents 79.2 points per game this season and has been outscored by seven points a game in conference play. We suffered blowout losses in recent years, but even the 2021-22 Cuse team that went 16-17 was able to score more points than our opponents overall in our ACC games. This is the worst defensive squad I have seen since I started following SU.

Kind of a miracle that we got back in it and even tied the game this stat and all the offensive rebounds we gave up.

I don’t.

But the D is awful.
I believe it is a function of not bigs other than Brown. Our forwards are too small our center is undersized, he can't contest too often because if he fouls out... We have some horses, but not enough to win and I doubt our current center can cover the wings and our forwards don't have enough length to get the job done. We play a 4 at the 5 a 3 at the 4 and 2 at the 3.

I miss the zone

Our man defense has been absolutely awful. Zone not much better. We are the third worst defensive team in the ACC and the worst rebounding team. These things were supposed to get better and we have gone in the opposite direction this year. Losing Jesse hurt but even when we had McLeod we were bad. Not a good 1st year showing at all

We have no offense or defense. Our guys don’t know how to play basketball. Either our coaching sucks or our players REFUSE to listen to the coaches.

Mintz going for a steal allowing JG3 to hit a 3 and his flop against him that gave Schefflin the wide open dagger sums up the defense he’s played all year. We get our share of steals, but when we miss we are playing 4 on 5.

Those two defensive miscues turned the tide of the game.

As did the two point blank layup misses when we were even with Clemson late.

But yeah -- for every good play Mintz makes, he seems to make a poor play that hurts the team.

All of our problems stem from the fact that our basketball IQ is low. Shot selection, steal attempts, flops, failure to attack bad defenders like Joe. Nobody knows how to play and our staff doesn't seem to be doing much educating thus far.
I will disagree a little bit; Starling doesn't normally go the rim like that in the halfcourt, it was pretty clear why he did.
If we were a football team we wouldn't be able to stop long drives, so knock yourself out going for steals as far as I'm concerned - it's the only way we can get stops. Either way the only half decent defender is playing out of position and the defense stinks.
The rebounding has just reached a comedic level of bad to the point where not much else matters if we don't improve (which obv isn't happening with the current roster). Is anyone coming in next year to help with that?

Thinking about this some more... remember how bad our team 2 years ago was at rebounding and defense due to athletic mismatches all over the place? It's actually shocking this stretch of opponent FG% is worse this year.

Thinking about this some more... remember how bad our team 2 years ago was at rebounding and defense due to athletic mismatches all over the place? It's actually shocking this stretch of opponent FG% is worse this year.
Yeah, you really have to want to be this bad at defense, and you really have to try.

And by golly, we do.

Syracuse is ranked 18th in the country in steals per game. Only 2 other teams in a P6 conference are higher: Iowa State and Houston. However, both of those teams are clearly better defensively. I actually just checked to confirm that statement and guess what? Both teams are top 3 in terms of opponent offensive rating. Syracuse is 156 (Michigan is 349!).

We are a perfect case of "stats" not always equaling good defense.

We play man 80% of the time and we still have a terrible 3 point defense. 39% against. Mintz and Starling are mostly to blame here. Too much 4 on 5 and too much ducking screens.

I believe it is a function of not bigs other than Brown. Our forwards are too small our center is undersized, he can't contest too often because if he fouls out... We have some horses, but not enough to win and I doubt our current center can cover the wings and our forwards don't have enough length to get the job done. We play a 4 at the 5 a 3 at the 4 and 2 at the 3.

Could not agree more with this!

Zone coaches teaching Man.
Guards teaching bigs.
Finesse forwards playing center.

Many peculiar formulas. These are not whiteboard formulas. These are scribbled in crayon on walls.

Outside of center, the players aren't really that undersized, they just cant stop anyone worth a damn. the amount of times a dribble drive is met with a cursory hand wave would take ages to count

I don't know, Bell as my 4 and Taylor as my three equates to being crushed on the boards in the ACC. They are, shorter, lighter and weaker than the players they match up with

We play man 80% of the time and we still have a terrible 3 point defense. 39% against. Mintz and Starling are mostly to blame here. Too much 4 on 5 and too much ducking screens.

Yeah, I've been hard on past players for D. The guys this year aren't getting it done. Period. End of story.

Maybe some of it is coaching, but you should have a functional defense by literally just trying and knowing where to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom