Orange Fan Sightings | Syracusefan.com

Orange Fan Sightings

HtownOrange

Living Legend
I stopped for gas and on the other side of the pump a woman asked if she was wearing g a Syracuse shirt. I gladly said that I was wearing a Syracuse shirt. She asked my connection to SU, I told her I grew up in Baldwins ille but was not able to attend SU. She said she grew up in Rochester, her father and grandfather attended SU, so she followed suit.

She said she's been in Texas for 25 years but misses the region. She still watches SU hoops and is excited for Adrian Autry, though she attended SU in the Boeheim era.

Anyway, just wanted to share a pleasant experience with a fellow SU fan. Please add any experiences you may have enjoyed meeting SU fans outside of CNY.

I stopped for gas and on the other side of the pump a woman asked if she was wearing g a Syracuse shirt. I gladly said that I was wearing a Syracuse shirt. She asked my connection to SU, I told her I grew up in Baldwins ille but was not able to attend SU. She said she grew up in Rochester, her father and grandfather attended SU, so she followed suit.

She said she's been in Texas for 25 years but misses the region. She still watches SU hoops and is excited for Adrian Autry, though she attended SU in the Boeheim era.

Anyway, just wanted to share a pleasant experience with a fellow SU fan. Please add any experiences you may have enjoyed meeting SU fans outside of CNY.
Well, that narrows it down!

i think every living alum attended SU in the Boeheim era. Give or take.

A few years ago, I was in the Bahamas on vacation. I came up to the poolside bar was wearing an SU hat. The older Bahamian gentleman who was bar tending said “Ah Syracuse! I used to love watching them when they had the General! You remember the General?” I told him I was at SU when Sherman was playing and we had a nice conversation which resulted in me getting a free Mai Tai.

A few years ago, I was in the Bahamas on vacation. I came up to the poolside bar was wearing an SU hat. The older Bahamian gentleman who was bar tending said “Ah Syracuse! I used to love watching them when they had the General! You remember the General?” I told him I was at SU when Sherman was playing and we had a nice conversation which resulted in me getting a free Mai Tai.
I liked your post and then changed it to love. Sherman is my all-time favorite Cuse player, and I'm a big fan of Mai Tais.

The Mai Tai wasn't the only drink I had...
1.jpg

Lots of SU fans in the Houston area ;)

Lots of SU fans in the Houston area ;)
Surprisingly, true. I see gear worn often when I am rambling around the area. There are even a few in Conroe, where I now live.

Surprisingly, true. I see gear worn often when I am rambling around the area. There are even a few in Conroe, where I now live.

I think I told you this story before: when SU played in their Final Four (against UNC) down here in Houston several years ago, I went to the game with my daughter. Going up the escalator at the Reliant Center, I turned behind me to see an older gentleman and his son both wearing SU gear. I struck up a quick conversation with them, assuming they were out-of-towners. Come to find out they lived just a few miles from me in Katy. Dad was a long-time SU fan.

On a side note: When I visit my daughter and son-in-law in Norman, OK, I will wear my Orange gear, especial orange colored shirts. In a town that hates Okie State and UT, orange is not a favored color. I receive many glaring looks until the Norman residents are close enough to see "Syracuse" or "Orange" of "SU"; then they smile, laugh and a few friendly conversations were started.

A few years ago I was in a restaurant/bar (Hudson Valley, NY) wearing an Orange SU cap on the night of the NCAA football championship game. A happy and inebriated couple came from behind and the woman slapped me hard on the back and yelled "Go Tigers". I turned around and they were all decked out in Clemson gear. I was momentarily stunned and very annoyed. After seeing the SU on my cap, they laughed and the woman apologized in a strong southern drawl.

A few years ago I was in a restaurant/bar (Hudson Valley, NY) wearing an Orange SU cap on the night of the NCAA football championship game. A happy and inebriated couple came from behind and the woman slapped me hard on the back and yelled "Go Tigers". I turned around and they were all decked out in Clemson gear. I was momentarily stunned and very annoyed. After seeing the SU on my cap, they laughed and the woman apologized in a strong southern drawl.
At least she had the right color...in part, anyway.

I am an annual pass holder to Universal Studios Orlando. I frequently wear Orange gear to two parks and CityWalk. Never fails each time, at least one and up to several people will give me a shout out, high five, fist bump, start a conversation or positively acknowledge my reppin' the Orange.

Last edited:
I wear SU shirts at least once a week while at the gym. Nobody ever says a thing. Lots of MSU attire and some UM stuff. A few other Michigan colleges.

So I’m walking in on Tuesday wearing a plain orange shirt and blue shorts…travelling uni I guess…and an old guy is walking out wearing an orange shirt with Syracuse University on it.

OK, older than me anyway, or at least he looked it. Anyway, I point to his shirt and say “ Go Orange! I’m Class of ‘73 plus grad school!”

He stops, looks down at his shirt, looks confused, and says “ I’m Michigan State. I guess we both must like the same color.” He still looked confused as he walked away.

So now I’m confused and literally had no idea what just happened there.

I enjoy wearing my Cuse gear when I attend Syracuse vs Virginia basketball games. My friend’s daughter works for uva and gets us tickets. It’s always fun seeing other Cuse fans at these games and there is usually a surprising number of them. Can’t wait to walk out of JPJ with a dub!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom