Orange Madness | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Orange Madness

Here is the response I received from Pete, who also cc'd John Wildhack and Sue Edson as well. Hard to believe sometimes that Syracuse run such a top communications school.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We appreciate your interest in Syracuse men’s basketball.

Our production team did consider streaming this event. However, it was determined that the number of fan-interactive elements scheduled for the evenings would make it a difficult event to produce a quality stream.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

That's not your decision to make, Pete! Or maybe it is, ughh this is a bummer

I don't get the relevance of the different format as far as not streaming it. From a competitive disadvantage standpoint, our exhibition games are televised for opponents to see. I have no clue what Moore is getting at.
You don't get it because it's stupid and makes no sense. It is lazy and makes us look 2nd rate.

Gary and I will be there! Who else is going? I don’t care at all about the glitz and showmanship of past Madnesses, with the exception of the year the former players returned and did a scrimmage. That was awesome! So, this may turn out to be a dud, but we shall see. We may just love it!

2nd rate city. Honestly hard to believe.
I'm trying to figure out the money-saving angle. Clearly that was a factor, and I don't get it. I think ESPN -- which has covered Orange MM before -- would send a team here and provide coverage. Unless I'm mistaken, except for our production costs, that's FREE media exposure that we're turning down, while the competition hypes their events up and draws attention.

To those claiming that it doesn't help recruiting, my response is that you don't really know that. It's impossible to gauge. One recruit might not go or might say MM doesn't matter. But another might become interested in the program for the first time, start liking the Orange or even decide to visit here, because of MM or some other broadcast. That's the thing with branding .. you don't necessarily notice every reaction but it's there.

Now that we're in the ACC, we have the kind of revenue that should make MM a no-brainer. Or if it's that big an issue, charge $5 a ticket to support production costs. This scale-down/no broadcast decision baffles me.

Last edited:
Why is SU making it seem like live streaming the scrimmage is a monumental task of epic proportions? I'm a fan of the program and I want to see the players play in pre-season, I don't care if it's MM or not... just let me see them play. I live in Ohio, I'd pay a quick $5 bucks to get video streaming access...

Just got a response from Moore about a message I sent about the scrimmage:

Thanks for your correspondence. I appreciate your interest in Syracuse basketball.

Regardless of the background of our Director of Athletics, televising the event is not a simple proposition. A live television production would require a network interested in broadcasting it (no network expressed interest).

Another option is to “stream” the event through our website (cuse.com), which would require fans having a computer.

We have “streamed” Orange Madness in previous years. This year, we are trying a different type of event with a format very different from Orange Madness. Due to the number of fan interactive activities planned for the evening, it is not conducive to streaming. We feel strongly that if it is difficult to put together a quality production for fans to watch on their computers, it’s not beneficial to do it (a stream).

I’m sorry to hear you won’t be able to attend in person.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

aW1hZ2UwMDEuanBnQDAxRDM0OEVBLkJCNEIwNzgw;jsessionid=1218A0108179199DA4A406FD1861A2FC-n2.lxa02a

Pete Moore

Director of Athletic Communications

Syracuse University

Manley Field House

Syracuse, NY 13244

(315) 952-5011 (cell)

Go Orange!

At least the response was not canned, but very disappointing!

what is this, 1994? "Man, we could do this, but it would require fans to have one of those computer boxes. Only witches have computer boxes"

Listen. Take one camera, point it towards the court, and leave it there. We can deal with not knowing what's going on with the fan activities, heck, people who are actually at the dome will probably have trouble figuring out whats going on with the fan activities.

what is this, 1994? "Man, we could do this, but it would require fans to have one of those computer boxes. Only witches have computer boxes"
Right???? It's almost like it's April's Fools Day or that we have turned into Yukon. I don't even want to go see what they are doing. It's fricken depressing on a million levels.

I'm no fan of Pete Moore, not even a little bit. But that response was pretty thoughtful and without knowing more about the logistics I can't criticize the decision. If this reflects a newfound commitment to not doing streaming events if they're not prepared to do a great job (see: every cuse.com streaming event I watched from 2009 to 2015), all the better.

My guess is that they're moving around the building with some "interactive" stuff and can't manage having a dozen cameras, an experienced director, and a production crew turn that into watchable content.

I'm disappointed. This is an event I look forward to every year. Seeing a year-older JB, coaches, players, and the dome gets me pumped for Syracuse basketball and signifies the hopes we collectively have prior to each season.

In the past, even if espn doesn't pick it up SU Athletics/cuse.com will have it. If I still lived in Syracuse, I would certainly go just to see the team. I live in California, so I guess I'm missing this one.

I don't care about the fluff stuff. I just want to see the guys hoop for a bit. SU has to know this, right?

It is entirely laughable that they can't see the value in live streaming the event for their fans. Ugh.
It is especially frustrating this year because our team is such an unknown. Interest is very high in getting a glimpse of them. We might even say that some fans are DESPERATE.

I feel lucky that I live 3 miles from the Dome and therefore can easily attend tomorrow’s event. But this means less than nothing to the fans on this forum because I have no ability whatsoever to analyze what I see. I CAN address whether some player seemed particularly intense or handsome or did a good job shooting the 3. That is within my capability. Luckily, I am attending with Gary, my sports spouse, and his mind is much more bent towards observation and astute analysis. I will be happy to pass on his comments, such as they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom