OrangeEyes, a Nephews View | Syracusefan.com

OrangeEyes, a Nephews View

HighTop

Walk On
Good Morning Everyone,

I know TomCat introduced himself and said some excellent words. OrangeOnions did the rest. However, I could not sit here quiet and lay my Uncle Danny to rest without saying a few words myself.

Dan Johnson is a true legend. A pioneer of the game. A true Westhill Warrior. Craig Kuodla (sp?) brought my cousin Brian to many of State Championsips. I envied him. Bri grew up in the era of Eric B. and Rakim, Run DMC, and Dana Dane. I salute every piece of knowledge I ever learned about hip hop to him.

Nevermind that Kelly put me on to Onyx "Slam". She put me on to many more classic bands like "Four Non Blondes" etc.

Cousin Brian put me on the "Down With The King" and you know what is special about that? It is that Uncle Danny always taught us that we could beat anyone on any given day. Uncle Dan was special, he would show up at my little league games just to see what I was throwing and it was never D1 gas.

As I think back on it, either was my cousin Kelly, but she was just as beautiful as the day was long. My Uncle Danny knew that. So instead of restricting her from boys he just tried to get her to try out for the Westhill team. Guess what? She made it, she was a deadly free throw shooter. Much better than them boys in Nike's on the other side of the gym winning championships. I am not sure if Brian and Craig ever won a state championship. But that is besides the point.

I went to St. Rose growing up and we had janitor who was just as obsessed with highschool basketball as Uncle Danny. I will never forget being in the Manley Field House for section III title who made us feel like we were worthy to win. I am pretty sure Brian and Craig went on to many great things. One of which was winning titles. Mr #23 at Utica College was THE man. I may have skipped a few years here but one thing always remained.

I never once owned Men's basketball tickets nor did I intend to. I have a daughter who is 7 now. We absolutely love sitting court side at their games. What I will miss is seeing my uncle who would just show up and see Duke or Louisville standing along side because he got the seats from his season ticket ownership.

As we grow up and move along without our favorite Father, Uncle, Godfather, Comedian, one thing I have learned is that Brian still has the BEST pyramid joke from the 3 stooges that we will never hear.

The other great thing? is that Dizee and Danny will always live on in infamy. Their kids Brian and Kelly are the closest things I will ever sniff to being my brother and sister that my own daughter Alaya knows them as Auntie Kel and Uncle Brian.

My uncle Dan loved my daughter so much that is impossible to reciprocate his love. But best believe with the small family we have we need to stay together. I am so sad that I missed out on many points, but Brian I love you Bro. so hard to say in real life and Kelly I will be here for you til the day I die.

You may be my cousins but you guys are my true brothers and sisters and I wish I did a better job of being with you all.

Love,
Kevin Gregory

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom