Orangeyes had a surprise visitor today... | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes had a surprise visitor today...

cto

Administrator
Mike Hopkins visited Dan in the hospital early this afternoon. Mike says Dan is in great spirits and seems to be doing well. Mike remembers Dan from when he used to attend practices, and Mike is a big fan of his.

Last edited:
Mike Hopkins visited Dan early this afternoon. Mike says Dan is in great spirits and seems to be doing well. Mike remembers Dan from when he used to attend practices, and Mike is a big fan of his.

How wonderful of you to follow through with the suggestion from Jim and how great of Mike to take the time to visit one of the all time great Syracuse fans. You're a class act, Joyce (assuming you pulled some strings, of course).

How wonderful of you to follow through with the suggestion from Jim and how great of Mike to take the time to visit one of the all time great Syracuse fans. You're a class act, Joyce (assuming you pulled some strings, of course).
I didn't pull any strings. I simply asked Mike whether he would do it after Jarhead suggested it yesterday. Mike was happy to be asked... and even happier after seeing Dan and spending some time with him. Mike actually thanked me for suggesting the visit to him.

Knowing Dan, the nursing staff probably had to tie him to the bed to keep from floating away! I'm sure he was as thrilled to be thought of by JHJ and CTO as he was to receive the visit from Coach Hopkins. Well done, Jim, and well done Joyce. Thanks- it's stuff like this that make this a special community of die hard Orange whack-jobs! And Dan's the most die-hard and one of the biggest whack-jobs we've got!

I didn't pull any strings. I simply asked Mike whether he would do it after Jarhead suggested it yesterday. Mike was happy to be asked... and even happier after seeing Dan and spending some time with him. Mike actually thanked me for suggesting the visit to him.

When you did something that 99.9% of the rest of us can't do in order to make Dan's day (and maybe decade), I consider that pulling strings, even if it's just talking to someone or asking a question.

You might be too modest to look at it that way, but just face it. :)

WOW I have never met any of you folks but reading about the visit that CTO did not pull any strings for, gets me all weepy
I am sure Dan sure appreciated it
I start my day with coffee and Dans articles of the day
Hope you are on the road to recovery OE

Got to get back there to see the dome and meet some of you special folk

OO44

CTO I know you are saying you didn't pull strings and I understand that but you even asking just shows how great the people are here, for the most part. Someday hopefully when I make it back to cuse for a game I can run into you as you truly are a saint. The world needs more people like you.

hopefully it helps Dan get better even faster.

Thanks so much to jim for suggesting , joyce for asking and hop for going. Such a cool thing to read this afternoon. Appreciate the kind words from the hoo fan. Get well soon OE!!!

On a complete side note...Pulling for the hoos in light of their class and the swell former hoo hooper I work with.

Mike Hopkins visited Dan in the hospital early this afternoon. Mike says Dan is in great spirits and seems to be doing well. Mike remembers Dan from when he used to attend practices, and Mike is a big fan of his.

when you say he is a big fan of his... do you mean he is a big fan of his daily articles posts?

So, to sum up:

(1) Jarhead finds a way to spread the love to a most deserving recipient;

(2) Saint Joyce, the Supreme Benefactress, strikes again, finding yet another way to help a person in need;

(3) Coach Hop finds a way to completely elevate the spirits of a big fan who's recovering in the hospital;

(4) KaiserUEO writes his first post ever that does not include the Shaking Head and Head-Banging Emoticons; and

(5) Dan the Man receives instant Karmic payback (though just a small sliver of his due) for the incredibly persistent work he does that improves and abets the nutty fanaticism in every one of us. Especially the more far-flung in the SU diaspora, like me.

Just freaking spectacular. Hats off to everyone involved. I love this community.