Orangeyes ...Sad news | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes ...Sad news

Along with many others, I never had the chance to meet Dan. But, I felt I knew him through his countless posts and daily contribution. He is on the Mount Rushmore of syracusefan.com. I have been coming to this forum for about 13 years and I can't say that I had ever read a post from Dan that wasn't positive. Many great posters have stopped posting because of the disrespect paid to valued posters and toward the very athletes we are fans of. Respectful discussion of Syracuse University athletics is the purpose of this board, perhaps in Dan's memory we can move forward with his spirit in mind. It would be great to have the great contributors of the past join the current contributors to make what is already the best message board anywhere, even better, albeit with a huge void.

Jake gave me the difficult news of Dan's passing Saturday morning but I haven't been able to make it to the board before now. After reading this entire thread as well as all the links and tributes it's just incredible how big of an impact this lovely man made in his community throughout his life.

Of all the times Dan and I crossed paths at tailgates and such, this is my favorite memory and will tell you something about the kind of guy he was. It was at one of Joyce's basketball tailgates at the Sheraton, this one before the Notre Dame game in February '05. I had had a fairly significant medical event a few weeks earlier and as a result arrived at the party in a wheelchair with my family. I felt very conspicuous and tentative about being back out in public and was content to just be parked in a corner and observe. Of course my board friends were very kind and surprised to see me there so soon, but Dan pulled up a chair and sat with me the entire time and chatted with me and my family in his usual sunny style. He made it a lot easier to jump back into that part of my regular life.

God bless and RIP Dan

It was amazing what Dan did. He took many ordinary Orange supporters and turned them into fanatics with the use of articles, the likes of which, many, including myself, had no idea how to access. The thirst for information other than what appeared in the PS was now being quenched by a man who, for no monetary gain, spent countless hours accumulating info. and dispersing it to the Orange masses. I was initially amazed at how he did this, and then just seemed to take him for granted. He was just always there. He could NOT have done a better job. I honestly believe he was the best poster of any fan board anywhere. How lucky we were.

Terrible news...Thoughts and Prayers to his family...

We should retire #12 and hang it from the rafters with his name on it...Because he was the true twelfth man...He will be missed by many.
This is a great idea. He could in himself become a legend and help revive a struggling Syracuse Football tradition.

He could be our Paddie Murphy

Haven't been on here in a bit. Shocking news. Thought he was recovering and even checked for his contribution. He will be sorely missed. The condensed information he provided on a daily basis was invaluable. No other school board came close.

No matter what they do formally in your memory Dan, this fan will never forget you.

I have only responded on this forum twice. My mornings at work are get the coffee brewing get a cup and read the new articles orangeyes worked to find so i could read. My name is Dan too and i cried when i read the news, at my desk at work, Dan touched more lives then he could imagine, My blood is orange, i love new york and i love my team and a morning wont go by that i wont remember another Dan who i was his fan. We really do have the best fans in the country!