Oregon St player Trips Referee Intentionally | Syracusefan.com

Oregon St player Trips Referee Intentionally

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
I was just watching the Oregon St - Utah game and some player called Reid, fell to the ground (thought he as fouled). So while on the ground as the ref passed by, he intentionally swung out his leg and tripped him.

Worst thing is Oregon St had the ball -- now they lost the ball, and 2 FT's in a tie ball game. What an idiot?

What should be the suspension for tripping an official? 6-8 Games?

I was just watching the Oregon St - Utah game and some player called Reid, fell to the ground (thought he as fouled). So while on the ground as the ref passed by, he intentionally swung out his leg and tripped him.

Worst thing is Oregon St had the ball -- now they lost the ball, and 2 FT's in a tie ball game. What an idiot?

Was it a ACC ref ?

Maybe not that high. I'd say two games max for tripping a ref, more for punching one.

Depends if the ref is a jerk or not haha. I mean if this ref is like Joey Crawford, which has to be impossible, tripping him should be celebrated instead of punished. Considering that's probably not the case, 2 or 3 games seems appropriate. There probably wasn't risk of serious harm (disclaimer: I haven't watched the play).

I'm half joking about the Crawford related stuff. I just hate that arrogant jerk.

Maybe not that high. I'd say two games max for tripping a ref, more for punching one.

Only two games? Wow, I personally think this is much more serious than that.

Tripping someone running full speed is very dangerous. I would suspend him for 10 games, at least. Doing it to a player would be bad enough, but officials are completely off limits.

Only two games? Wow, I personally think this is much more serious than that.

Tripping someone running full speed is very dangerous. I would suspend him for 10 games, at least. Doing it to a player would be bad enough, but officials are completely off limits.[/QUOTE

Perhaps two games is too few, but ten seems a lot if the ref isn't injured. So probably it should be on a sliding scale.

if only someone couldda gone WWF and slammed higgins face into a turnbuckle or come off the top ropes onto burr... then cue the folding chairs

If that ref blew out a knee or hit his head, etc. and was injured, I think assault charges against that player would be appropriate.

I saw that live. I was convinced it was an accident, because who the hell would do such a thing? Then on replay, it is clear, he looked up to see where the official was and sweep the leg! Crazy, bye bye for 5-7 games if you ask me.

And if a player actually punched a ref, I don't see how anything other than a lifetime ban from college sports would be appropriate.

If that ref blew out a knee or hit his head, etc. and was injured, I think assault charges against that player would be appropriate.

I believe its technically a battery. however, I think the kid should have to apologize in front of the entire crowd to the referee and serve two games, as long as the ref was not injured in any significant manner. I know morally it shouldn't matter much, but society does tend to base severity of punishment on the severity of injury inflicted.

I'd put it at five games minimum. Doing that to an official is so far beyond the line, you'd need binoculars to look back at it.

devils advocate here. let's not even pretend that all referees call every game neutral. sometimes even blatantly not. i can see where a young players frustration could boil over. didn't watch this match. don't know the history. but sometimes enuf is enuf. and a leg whip may be in order. just saying.

devils advocate here. let's not even pretend that all referees call every game neutral. sometimes even blatantly not. i can see where a young players frustration could boil over. didn't watch this match. don't know the history. but sometimes enuf is enuf. and a leg whip may be in order. just saying.
Ah, so if you're frustrated, it's OK in some circumstances to commit actions that could seriously injure someone. Got it.

In this instance, the perpetrator had just gotten away with a foul to shake the ball loose from the Ute player. If anything, he should have been high fiving the ref as it was he who got away with a hack and came away with it to start the break the other way, from his place on the floor. And his team stood to take control of the game late if they could make a play. The Beavers led all night, but couldn't shake the Utes, who came back to win spurred on by the technical foul. It was a total breakdown in composure, uncalled for no matter how you slice it.

I understand kids make mistakes, but, officials are becoming less and less reverent and one day someones gonna get hurt. We get so pissed when they call a quick t, flagrant, or ejection, but if you just step back, players in all sports are becoming more and more agressive towards ref's and all levels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom