Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft

Sure, but can we ever get a kid who weighs even 200 pounds?

Really, this 180 lb Dutch kid is better than Carrigan? Carrigan must not have made his grades, because he was very good defensively, his underwhelming JUCO year notwithstanding.
I haven’t gotten all the way down the thread yet but JBA is already 230 I believe.

So you’re saying Hop had mentally checked out the season before he left for Washington? Rumor or fact or own observation?
JB and Hop had disagreements about recruiting that last year.
Hop for a fact wanted to recruit a kid who would have helped him when he was going to take over. JB overruled him.
Hop was a good soldier.

These threads are hilarious.

One thread blaming Frank for our offensive woes. One thread trashing a kid who never Played here. And now one saying OB leaving is basically addition by subtraction.

We have a mediocre recruiting class. We have mediocre players. We have a mediocre coach (at this point).

And we’re hoping for another “the zone get us to the sweet 16” year.

Sure.
I said addition by substracfion because our coach doesn’t use the bench and because I want change and don’t want this year’s Brissett playing 30+ minutes per game next year.
He was a solid player here but I don’t want to see short rotations.

I think they're both going to be pretty good next year. Girard may find the game is too fast for him until about the middle of the season. I think his shooting range will get him his chances next year, but I'm not sure he's going to be good enough on defense yet to get too much run.

Goodine isn't quite as big as Malachai Richardson was in HS. He's a little better passer (Mali could sling it in HS pretty good, though ...), and has a better handle, I would say. I want to think that if you start Carey and Goodine next year, then you bring in Buddy at the first TV timeout, that would work best for everybody.

In a certain way, Goodine looks like a fitter version of Scoop, with better form on his jumper. He's not as fast as he could be. He has a bit of Ennis in his handle. Goodine can certainly jump, though. Carey plays faster - maybe too fast at times.

We won't start slow on defense by starting Goodine with Carey. It's kind of like Scoop with Triche, and then Andy Rautins comes in.

Don't forget, Buddy is still only a sophomore. Give him a little more time, or the kid could take a step back next year, if too much pressure is placed on him before he's ready for it. Let him improve to 10-12 points in 20-25 minutes a game next year. Really, that's all we should ask of him next year. He'll be a star player the 2 years after that.

Buddy won't get caught reaching or breaking up a fast break too early and get unnecessary early fouls. Let him watch how the game is being called, then come in for Goodine at the first TV timout, then bring Goodine right back in for Carey at the next dead ball (12 minutes left in 1H).

Then bring in Girard for Buddy, from around 6-7 minutes left in the first half, and he runs with Goodine until the next dead ball (You might need to bring Carey back in here with Girard when it comes to ACC games). Give Girard 2-4 minutes at first. Break him in slowly; don't let him get exposed on defense, or have to bring up the ball by himself at first.

Then it's Buddy and Carey to close out the half. I would like to see a guard rotation something like that. If Buddy is feeling it, he's going to play most of the second half. If he's having an inconsistent game, then Goodine will get more run with Carey, or maybe Hughes will swing up to 2G for a few minutes.
Sounds great, but will never happen. When has JB ever had a substitution pattern? He never develops a consistent rotation. He subs based on mistakes, unless your a senior, then you can do basically anything you want. It’s his biggest weakness. He only coaches for the moment and doesn’t try to develop his bench as the season develops.

Totally agree
From what I understand from meeting some of them, and let me know if I’m wrong, but I think the inner team chemistry issue is somewhat overblown. The tension may be more between the team and staff. Frank, Elijah, Oshae and Tyus all seemed fairly close as friends.

Also Guerrier seems like a more athletic K Jo to me, more bounce and young physicality

The ideal is a Rak Christmas/Fab Melo type that can handle the following:

1) alter shots from guys who get in the paint via their reach or making them think twice due to imposing presence. Defend without fouling

2) have the skill to catch passes from the perimeter and either quickly pass it back outside, or have a plan of what they’re doing with the ball before giving up the dribble and backing a man down. Dont catch the ball, be stumped, put it low, and have it stripped.

3) set solid screens and know where to slip/pop to free up space

4) find a man to lay your butt on when the shot goes up, and stop opposing offensive possessions by cleaning up the defensive boards

5) Being able to do enough with the ball off pick and roll to draw attention and free up space

Good post!

I haven’t gotten all the way down the thread yet but JBA is already 230 I believe.

Yes, I believe you are right. He might even be up to 240.
He's getting better, but he's not an interior kind of player.
He likes to play on the perimeter. He's not a banger.

Also Guerrier seems like a more athletic K Jo to me, more bounce and young physicality

Guerrier looks like a very good player.

One thing that bothered my about his play in the BioDiesel All Canada game last year was that his footwork wasn't that good on offense. I saw about 3 times in the game when he was going up for a dunk, he had to kind of look at his feet and get his steps just right. It was like a high school kid who hasn't dunked much before, or maybe like you see in all star games sometimes, where the player wants to do a reverse or a great looking dunk, but it just isn't smooth and natural, the way he jumps, because he's trying to get his steps just right.

That was my only quibble. Other than that, he did everything you could ask. He shot some threes and looked good doing it. He overpowered people on offense. He's athletic and really looks solidly built for a high school kid. There is a lot to like there. But he seemed just a bit mechanical on offense. That's kind of why he reminded me of C.J. more than Kris Joseph. C.J. was coming off an ACL and was a bit measured as a young player, not quite willing to place a lot of stress on his knee at first.

Kris Joseph was like a rocket running the floor, and he threw himself at the rim with almost reckless abandon on the break, until late in his junior year when he took a very bad fall, I think it may have been at the Garden His senior year, he never got out and ran like that again, literally flying to the hoop like he used to do as a junior. His senior year he actually turned into more of a complimentary player instead of turning into the star we thought he might be. I think that injury had everything to do with it.

I really liked Oshae and wish him the best if he decides to enter and remain in the draft and really hope he decides to come back. He's a very talented kid, but highly inefficient... similar to Battle in that respect. We most likely won't be able to replace the pure talent of Battle and Oshae, but they were very ball dominant. However, the team could actually improve even by replacing them with less talented players if everyone remaining and coming in plays within themselves and plays efficient. We can't afford to have a player take 30-40% of the shots, but shoot in the low 30's... that's a recipe for becoming mediocre.

I'd really like to see what Braswell can do. With the limited minutes he had he really impressed me. He can jump like a jack rabbit and is a good shooter. If Brissett leaves I think Braswell should start with Hughes

Guerrier looks like a very good player.

One thing that bothered my about his play in the BioDiesel All Canada game last year was that his footwork wasn't that good on offense. I saw about 3 times in the game when he was going up for a dunk, he had to kind of look at his feet and get his steps just right. It was like a high school kid who hasn't dunked much before, or maybe like you see in all star games sometimes, where the player wants to do a reverse or a great looking dunk, but it just isn't smooth and natural, the way he jumps, because he's trying to get his steps just right.

That was my only quibble. Other than that, he did everything you could ask. He shot some threes and looked good doing it. He overpowered people on offense. He's athletic and really looks solidly built for a high school kid. There is a lot to like there. But he seemed just a bit mechanical on offense. That's kind of why he reminded me of C.J. more than Kris Joseph. C.J. was coming off an ACL and was a bit measured as a young player, not quite willing to place a lot of stress on his knee at first.

Kris Joseph was like a rocket running the floor, and he threw himself at the rim with almost reckless abandon on the break, until late in his junior year when he took a very bad fall, I think it may have been at the Garden His senior year, he never got out and ran like that again, literally flying to the hoop like he used to do as a junior. His senior year he actually turned into more of a complimentary player instead of turning into the star we thought he might be. I think that injury had everything to do with it.

Forgot all about the fall for KJo. Hard to believe the 2011-12 team could improve short of a championship, but...

I'd really like to see what Braswell can do. With the limited minutes he had he really impressed me. He can jump like a jack rabbit and is a good shooter. If Brissett leaves I think Braswell should start with Hughes

I'm pretty interested to see Braswell get some run with the 10-15 lbs I expect him to add this offseason (though, I thought the same for Marek...)

I said addition by substracfion because our coach doesn’t use the bench and because I want change and don’t want this year’s Brissett playing 30+ minutes per game next year.
He was a solid player here but I don’t want to see short rotations.
That’s fair. I was generalizing too much in my post.

Sounds great, but will never happen. When has JB ever had a substitution pattern? He never develops a consistent rotation. He subs based on mistakes, unless your a senior, then you can do basically anything you want. It’s his biggest weakness. He only coaches for the moment and doesn’t try to develop his bench as the season develops.

While I think you are right, and mistakes give him the excuse to pull players at the four minute mark, it is kind of predictable, don't you think? I think there is a pattern to what he does. The deeper rotation guys usually get their chance in the first half, not the second, and it comes usually between the 12:00 minute mark and the 4:00 minutes left point. The game is not hanging in the balance and it's a relatively safe time to break in new players and give your starters a blow. He usually closes the half with his best players, absent foul trouble, and then anybody who played really well in the first half is going to get more run in the second half.

Just to add my two cents to this already fun thread...

If OB wants to test the waters and turn pro based on what the NBA scouts are telling him cool.

If OB wants to turn pro because he doesn't want to play for JB, the coach who recruited him then that's a problem.

I'm not an insider so I have no idea what the true story is but in my opinion if OB has issues with JB that's on OB, not JB. I'm not a JB loyalist by any means, but this year I saw a coach doing his utmost best to get the best out of his players and turning every dial he could. One of the things that I actually liked about this season was JB holding his stars accountable... he benched OB, Tyus and Frank when warranted and OB needed a lot of pine time this year since he spent the first half of the season trying to turn himself into an NBA three as opposed to what he is, which is a small ball college four. If OB wants to become a 3 he needs to spend a ton of time working on his handle and his shot and even then I'm not sure he has the feel to be a 3.

Canada is having their McD's ASG this week and he is weirdly not in it.

Not that prep number/star rankings influence my opinion on international guys that much, but OB was the MVP of that game and national prep PoTY. Seems odd QG wasn't even invited.

He's playing in the Tim Horton's one.

JB and Hop had disagreements about recruiting that last year.
Hop for a fact wanted to recruit a kid who would have helped him when he was going to take over. JB overruled him.
Hop was a good soldier.

And at about that point, Hop realized that JB wasn't going to leave, and it was time for Mike to go find a new job.

I think if Brissett decides to leave, Braswell is certainly good enough to get 10 minutes a game to see what he can do through January. Guerrier is a really good player, though. If Brissett leaves, I think Guerrier and Hughes are going to start at forward, but Braswell and Marek will also get time there.

While I think you are right, and mistakes give him the excuse to pull players at the four minute mark, it is kind of predictable, don't you think? I think there is a pattern to what he does. The deeper rotation guys usually get their chance in the first half, not the second, and it comes usually between the 12:00 minute mark and the 4:00 minutes left point. The game is not hanging in the balance and it's a relatively safe time to break in new players and give your starters a blow. He usually closes the half with his best players, absent foul trouble, and then anybody who played really well in the first half is going to get more run in the second half.

That makes it sound as if he knows what he is doing...:oops:

Just to add my two cents to this already fun thread...

If OB wants to test the waters and turn pro based on what the NBA scouts are telling him cool.

If OB wants to turn pro because he doesn't want to play for JB, the coach who recruited him then that's a problem.

I'm not an insider so I have no idea what the true story is but in my opinion if OB has issues with JB that's on OB, not JB. I'm not a JB loyalist by any means, but this year I saw a coach doing his utmost best to get the best out of his players and turning every dial he could. One of the things that I actually liked about this season was JB holding his stars accountable... he benched OB, Tyus and Frank when warranted and OB needed a lot of pine time this year since he spent the first half of the season trying to turn himself into an NBA three as opposed to what he is, which is a small ball college four. If OB wants to become a 3 he needs to spend a ton of time working on his handle and his shot and even then I'm not sure he has the feel to be a 3.

Great post and excellent imagery!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom