OT - A Nice Story From FSU | Syracusefan.com

OT - A Nice Story From FSU

fsu got me as new fan today. so nice that we get to read about guys like this and not always the thugs. kudos to mr rudolph and i hope he has a healthy year/life. i wish the press would focus more on these kinds of activities by the athletes rather than mostly negative stuff. i suspect there are more mr.rudolphs out there. one thing i like to read about su is the community involvement stuff that they do.

Young man is a class act, we need more of these young men. Good Luck to him this season with the exception of when we play them.

You know guys at FSU and Syracuse and every other program out there do stuff like this all they time, and you never hear about it, and never would have heard about this if someone didn't pick it up off Facebook or whatever.

When the bad news comes, it's difficult but important to keep it in perspective that not only are the majority of these guys not bad guys, but a significant percentage of them are actually good guys that do good stuff for people.

By the way, this is the receiver that torched you guys last year, so your kind thoughts are impressive. ;)

yeah, that's a tough one.

Kim Jones lost it multiple times on the FAN yesterday morning discussing this.

You know guys at FSU and Syracuse and every other program out there do stuff like this all they time, and you never hear about it, and never would have heard about this if someone didn't pick it up off Facebook or whatever.

When the bad news comes, it's difficult but important to keep it in perspective that not only are the majority of these guys not bad guys, but a significant percentage of them are actually good guys that do good stuff for people.

By the way, this is the receiver that torched you guys last year, so your kind thoughts are impressive. ;)
you need to be more specific...

fsu got me as new fan today. so nice that we get to read about guys like this and not always the thugs. kudos to mr rudolph and i hope he has a healthy year/life. i wish the press would focus more on these kinds of activities by the athletes rather than mostly negative stuff. i suspect there are more mr.rudolphs out there. one thing i like to read about su is the community involvement stuff that they do.

Yeah, I generally feel like most of the guys on these big-time teams aren't doing things like this. Not necessarily bad kids but just sort of the combination of the uber-focus on sports most of these programs demand, the fact that they're 18-22 (and none of us have a lot of perspective at that age), and the kind of abnormal world these guys inhabit where they've been made to feel like they are complete studs from the time they are like 12.

But having said that, I'm probably overly pessimistic about that. There really are probably more stories like this. What makes this one so cool is how organic it is -- no photo op, no huge team visiting one disabled and/or disadvantaged kid (not that that isn't cool too) -- just one guy noticing a kid who's having a rough time and being sensitive enough to that to make the effort to do whatever he can to help him out. Really cool story and, as a father of a child with down syndrome, it absolutely was a very, very emotional read for me.

Yeah, I generally feel like most of the guys on these big-time teams aren't doing things like this. Not necessarily bad kids but just sort of the combination of the uber-focus on sports most of these programs demand, the fact that they're 18-22 (and none of us have a lot of perspective at that age), and the kind of abnormal world these guys inhabit where they've been made to feel like they are complete studs from the time they are like 12.

But having said that, I'm probably overly pessimistic about that. There really are probably more stories like this. What makes this one so cool is how organic it is -- no photo op, no huge team visiting one disabled and/or disadvantaged kid (not that that isn't cool too) -- just one guy noticing a kid who's having a rough time and being sensitive enough to that to make the effort to do whatever he can to help him out. Really cool story and, as a father of a child with down syndrome, it absolutely was a very, very emotional read for me.
your post is the post of the year for me!!! no one ever knows what small victories are/and mean. i just had a granddaughter born a year ago with cystic fibrosis. she spent the first 8 mos of her life at upenn childrens hospital in philly. many mountains to climb, had 3 major surgeries in the first 2 mos of her life. she is home and for some reason is the happiest and easy going child i have ever seen.
god bless you and in particular your child . i do believe in lighting candles--consider it lt.

your post is the post of the year for me!!! no one ever knows what small victories are/and mean. i just had a granddaughter born a year ago with cystic fibrosis. she spent the first 8 mos of her life at upenn childrens hospital in philly. many mountains to climb, had 3 major surgeries in the first 2 mos of her life. she is home and for some reason is the happiest and easy going child i have ever seen.
god bless you and in particular your child . i do believe in lighting candles--consider it lt.

That's an awesome thing! Definitely makes you appreciate every milestone that much more.