OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers?

FYI for any Stumpies here: Don Leopold is hosting a Zoom talk on American whiskey next Friday. You can register through the alumni association; it's part of the virtual homecoming.

How old were you when you started to like brown liquors? I turned 30 yesterday and up to this point I cannot drink these on the rocks or neat. Just don't have the taste for it. Might never have it.

I made the switch about 20 yrs ago. It wasn't one thing over other, I just began to like slugging whisky and bourbon and plowed through as many as I could, most of which were at ridiculous prices, until I cut it down to a couple. It also helped that I don't liked mixed drinks.

Can I change this from OT to On-Topic. Folks should think about coming to Louisville for the SU game on 11/20. Make a week of it and hit the Bourbon Trail. Weather might be iffy but should be manageable. The school/state is allowing 20% capacity but by that time tickets should be easy to come by. Just a thought for a nice trip.

Can I change this from OT to On-Topic. Folks should think about coming to Louisville for the SU game on 11/20. Make a week of it and hit the Bourbon Trail. Weather might be iffy but should be manageable. The school/state is allowing 20% capacity but by that time tickets should be easy to come by. Just a thought for a nice trip.
My husband and I were just talking about that! Actually, we were thinking of a couple days. Not sure if I could survive a whole week of heavy Bourbon drinking.

My husband and I were just talking about that! Actually, we were thinking of a couple days. Not sure if I could survive a whole week of heavy Bourbon drinking.
Nothing like a bourbon tasting at 10am, bourbon with lunch (every restaurant has a wall of bourbon you can't get up north), another tasting at 3pm, then bourbon with dinner every day for four days to spice up a road trip!

Nothing like a bourbon tasting at 10am, bourbon with lunch (every restaurant has a wall of bourbon you can't get up north), another tasting at 3pm, then bourbon with dinner every day for four days to spice up a road trip!

when does the real drinking start?

Great thread here. Hoping I can lend a hand:

10+ years in the spirits industry
Certified spirits educator
Bartended at Micheline Star restaurants
Cuse ‘03

I have spent most of 2013-2020 as a spirits educator working for large brands and learning and teaching on categories, trends, spirits production, and the industry overall.

Happy to help answer any questions with regards to anything distilled.

Cuse ‘03

I have spent most of 2013-2020 as a spirits educator working for large brands and learning and teaching on categories, trends, spirits production, and the industry overall.

What’s your personal favorite drink?

cocktail wise :
New York sour , Lion’s Tail, Hemingway Daiquiri , and a classic Tom Collins are all at the top of my list

Negroni and Boulevardier are also amazing as well.
Wow I don't know half of them but sound tasty. Tom Collins is a gin drink correct? Buddy of mine is a huge gin fan, for some reason. I am a simpleton. As I have stated in here, I have not developed the taste for dark liquor straight up. I do enjoy gin and tonics, rum and diets, and beer (not the bitter stuff). Also a huge bloody mary guy. It's amazing how many different flavors and levels of spice you can get depending on who makes it.

Wow I don't know half of them but sound tasty. Tom Collins is a gin drink correct? Buddy of mine is a huge gin fan, for some reason. I am a simpleton. As I have stated in here, I have not developed the taste for dark liquor straight up. I do enjoy gin and tonics, rum and diets, and beer (not the bitter stuff). Also a huge bloody mary guy. It's amazing how many different flavors and levels of spice you can get depending on who makes it.

you make a lot of good points, here is some follow up:

there are literally 1 million cocktails (good and bad) get a few books , craft of the cocktail, the savoy, jerry Thomas, Gary Reagan, etc...and start from there

TomCollins basically = gin+ lemonade (however lemonade works with basically any spirit)

the word “simpleton” can be misgiving. I know many people who hate mixed drinks simply because they have never sat in front of a skilled bartender. Many people dislike a specific category because they have limited experience . I doubt you are a “simpleton” just maybe haven’t had the opportunity to expand your category and brand experiences.

I read you talked about a buddy that drank dewars...could have been me. I drank dewars in college because my grandmother did, and all I knew was dewars and Johnny walker...there are over 8k brands in the United States today (only 500 when I was at SU) so a lot of diversity per category today that wasn’t there 20 years ago.

Terminology:
Straight = no mixers (often used as neat)
Neat = in a glass , no ice, no mixers
Up= in a fancy glass (martini glass)
Straight up = (most confused term) 3 oz. chilled booze with no mixers (bitters or vermouth, etc.) strained into a fancy glass

you make a lot of good points, here is some follow up:

there are literally 1 million cocktails (good and bad) get a few books , craft of the cocktail, the savoy, jerry Thomas, Gary Reagan, etc...and start from there

TomCollins basically = gin+ lemonade (however lemonade works with basically any spirit)

the word “simpleton” can be misgiving. I know many people who hate mixed drinks simply because they have never sat in front of a skilled bartender. Many people dislike a specific category because they have limited experience . I doubt you are a “simpleton” just maybe haven’t had the opportunity to expand your category and brand experiences.

I read you talked about a buddy that drank dewars...could have been me. I drank dewars in college because my grandmother did, and all I knew was dewars and Johnny walker...there are over 8k brands in the United States today (only 500 when I was at SU) so a lot of diversity per category today that wasn’t there 20 years ago.

Terminology:
Straight = no mixers (often used as neat)
Neat = in a glass , no ice, no mixers
Up= in a fancy glass (martini glass)
Straight up = (most confused term) 3 oz. chilled booze with no mixers (bitters or vermouth, etc.) strained into a fancy glass
This thread could turn into a great one. Never know what people are into outside of their 'cuse love!

Anyway... perhaps simpleton not the word. I know what I like, and stick to it! I also try to be aware of what I am consuming, so I try to limit my sugar intact especially when it's from drinking. Diet tonic really helps with this.

I might have to look into one of those books. Not because I think I'm going to be bartending or anything, just out of curiosity. As you said... so many options out there. To that point, have you ever been asked for a drink that you had never heard of?

This thread could turn into a great one. Never know what people are into outside of their 'cuse love!

Anyway... perhaps simpleton not the word. I know what I like, and stick to it! I also try to be aware of what I am consuming, so I try to limit my sugar intact especially when it's from drinking. Diet tonic really helps with this.

I might have to look into one of those books. Not because I think I'm going to be bartending or anything, just out of curiosity. As you said... so many options out there. To that point, have you ever been asked for a drink that you had never heard of?
In terms of working your way up to drink the whiskey types, I had the same problem. Couldn't stand the stuff when I was younger. Then I tried Southern Comfort and ginger ale. Very sweet, super easy for a young guy to drink. Fast forward a few years and I traveled with guys who would buy a big bottle of whiskey and sit in the lounge at hotels, work, and drink a few. So I would add ginger ale (always available in a Marriott lounge) and imbibe with them. Eventually began using less and less ginger ale. Now I never use soda with the whiskey or bourbon.

Have tried scotch a bunch of times and just have resigned myself to the fact that I don't like the peaty style.

In terms of working your way up to drink the whiskey types, I had the same problem. Couldn't stand the stuff when I was younger. Then I tried Southern Comfort and ginger ale. Very sweet, super easy for a young guy to drink. Fast forward a few years and I traveled with guys who would buy a big bottle of whiskey and sit in the lounge at hotels, work, and drink a few. So I would add ginger ale (always available in a Marriott lounge) and imbibe with them. Eventually began using less and less ginger ale. Now I never use soda with the whiskey or bourbon.

Have tried scotch a bunch of times and just have resigned myself to the fact that I don't like the peaty style.
Oh, dear god. I'm 48 now but still get shivers when thinking of SoCo.. Oh, to be a teenager again... I wouldn't have eaten the pasta nor encouraged the driver to do more donuts in the parking lot.

Oh, dear god. I'm 48 now but still get shivers when thinking of SoCo.. Oh, to be a teenager again... I wouldn't have eaten the pasta nor encouraged the driver to do more donuts in the parking lot.
I think everyone has a SoCo story from their youth. Too funny. Jager and Goldschlagger cover the young adult "never need to have that again" drink.

Also a huge bloody mary guy. It's amazing how many different flavors and levels of spice you can get depending on who makes it.

Favorite/go to bloody mix? Had this Charleston Bloody Mary mix last weekend and it was unbelievable.

I think everyone has a SoCo story from their youth. Too funny. Jager and Goldschlagger cover the young adult "never need to have that again" drink.

Gallons of alabama slammers and quarters.

Good times

Cuse ‘03

If you were to select one bourbon or rye that is easily accessible in most liquor stores that's less than $60/bottle (750ml) what would you go with?

Back to the bourbon/whiskey topic

Picked up a bottle of Uncle Nearest a couple weeks ago. It seems like it is getting wider distribution. And enjoyed it very much
Yeah. Too high a price point but I enjoyed it.

Favorite/go to bloody mix? Had this Charleston Bloody Mary mix last weekend and it was unbelievable.
I’ve tried a lot of over the counter and some much better than others. There’s one at liquor city in Fayetteville, NY that’s a 5 pepper that’s good. I’ve had some good ones at restaurants too, but those are made on site.

I think everyone has a SoCo story from their youth. ...

Golf party, April 2005. It was a small apartment, so like 6 holes in a row were SoCo shots.

Never again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom