OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers?

Wegman's sells a nice set of 4 bourbon glasses for like $35. quality glass made in Germany or Poland if I remember correctly.

spiegelau single barrel bourbon, kind of shaped like the Glencairn glass but flat bottom Single-Barrel-Bourbon-Glass-1.jpg

I had the collectable whisky bug for a year or 2 and now have a large collection. If anyone is looking for a special bottle, pm me.

Great thread. My husband and I love bourbon and scotch. We trend towards the Highland style. He drinks it over ice and I drink it neat (for which he gets endless crap from his buddies). Our dogs (3 Vizslas+ 1 Boston Terrier) have been named after scotch's and our cats have been named after bourbons. The scotches/bourbons were chosen more for the names than the taste but we have come up with some winners. Bookers (Booker-RIP Ocicat) and Ezra Brooks (Ezra-current Maine Coon) are the cats. Bookers is still one of my favorites. Ezra Brooks is fine but better for mixing than sipping. Oban (Obi-RIP), Bunnahabhain (Boone-RIP), Auchentoshan (Tosh-current), and Shackleton (Shaq-current) are the dogs. Oban is great and Bunnahabhain is very good. Auchentoshan was a little too peaty for me so those of you who like Laphroag and Lagavulin might like that. Shackleton is decent too but not as interesting and I didn't mind using it in cocktails.

Buffalo Trace is my go to distillery also. Because of the great price I'll use Buffalo Trace in cocktails but I am perfectly happy drinking it neat. Eagle Rare is a slight step up, and any of the Pappy's are amazing. Other favorites already mentioned are Basil Hayden, Blantons, Woodfords Reserve, Highland Park, Jameson, Whistle Pig, and Angels Envy. Others not yet mentioned that I can pull off the top of my head are Knob Creek, Glenmorangie, and Jeffersons. Another peaty one than I'm struggling through is Cragganmore.

My preferred glass is the Glencairn since I like it neat and, because of the ice, my husband prefers a regular lowball. We've tried round cubes, square cubes, frozen granite stone cubes, and various size cubes. Because he likes some melt-off, my husband's favorites are uniform medium cubes. If you like it up, try the stones, and if you're somewhere in between, try the giant spheres or cubes.

Many, many years ago we took a tour of a whiskey distillery in PA. Michter's, it closed up in the 1980s. We purchased a decanter, a Christmas tree with an angel on top edition in 1978. I still have the decanter with whiskey. Every year when I unpack the Christmas ornaments, including the decanter, I get a whiff of the whiskey. Truly aged. ;)

He drinks it over ice and I drink it neat (for which he gets endless crap from his buddies).

Good on you, and your husband's buddies...lol. To each their own, of course.

Buddy from England says he knows many bartenders that will yell at you for ordering it on the rocks. A side of, "Yer f@gghing ruining it!" Can often be served along with your drink. :)

Last edited:
My favorite drink right now is a Washington state bourbon, Woodinville, that I just discovered.

Also really like Heaven's Door bourbon by Bob Dylan.

Favorite Scotch/Malt lately is Glenmorangie Signet (big splurge, for me) and their Sherry/wine cask expressions. For smoke, I've been going for several different Ardbegs. Have also been getting into a handful of different Indian malts.

Last edited:
I love everything Four Roses and Jefferson's, for the price. I am liking the wheated Bourbons, Weller and Larceny. I just picked up Michters bourbon and plan on opening today.

Many, many years ago we took a tour of a whiskey distillery in PA. Michter's, it closed up in the 1980s. We purchased a decanter, a Christmas tree with an angel on top edition in 1978. I still have the decanter with whiskey. Every year when I unpack the Christmas ornaments, including the decanter, I get a whiff of the whiskey. Truly aged. ;)
I wasn't aware of this as a PA Distillery so googled the history. Interesting if you care to read and like a little history mixed with your spirits: Legacy

It was because of the story behind it that we chose Shackleton for a dog's name. To bolster team spirit on his Antarctic expedition (Nimrod, 1907), Sir Ernest Shackleton personally ordered 25 cases of Mackinlay’s Rare Old Highland Malt Whisky. In 2007, a century after the expedition, three cases of the perfectly preserved whisky were discovered, frozen into the ice beneath Shackleton’s base camp at Cape Royds.
The whisky was excavated and flown to New Zealand where it was carefully thawed by the New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust in a purpose-built environment and public gallery at Canterbury Museum. Whytte & Mackay Distillery decided to try to recreate that Mackinlay's Scotch with a blend of Highland Scotches, resulting in Shackleton. You can read about it and the excursion to find the ship and Scotch here: The Legend

I wasn't aware of this as a PA Distillery so googled the history. Interesting if you care to read and like a little history mixed with your spirits: Legacy

It was because of the story behind it that we chose Shackleton for a dog's name. To bolster team spirit on his Antarctic expedition (Nimrod, 1907), Sir Ernest Shackleton personally ordered 25 cases of Mackinlay’s Rare Old Highland Malt Whisky. In 2007, a century after the expedition, three cases of the perfectly preserved whisky were discovered, frozen into the ice beneath Shackleton’s base camp at Cape Royds.
The whisky was excavated and flown to New Zealand where it was carefully thawed by the New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust in a purpose-built environment and public gallery at Canterbury Museum. Whytte & Mackay Distillery decided to try to recreate that Mackinlay's Scotch with a blend of Highland Scotches, resulting in Shackleton. You can read about it and the excursion to find the ship and Scotch here: The Legend
I knew the history of the distillery. Actually I have never imbibed any of the contents of that decanter. I'm more of a Vodka/Gin drinker.

Love my bourbon, but if you can find any outside o TX or maybe LA, try to get your hands on Rebecca Creek, a Texas whiskey

Eagle Rare is my favorite. Jefferson's (regular, not Ocean) is very good for its pricepoint of $25-27.

I rarely spend more than $40 on a bottle of anything (I spend tons of $$$ on expensive craft beer...when I want a bourbon its usually something safe and modestly priced). I used to love Angel's Envy but it went from being a $40 bottle to a $50+ bottle so nopes.

Great thread. My husband and I love bourbon and scotch. We trend towards the Highland style. He drinks it over ice and I drink it neat (for which he gets endless crap from his buddies). Our dogs (3 Vizslas+ 1 Boston Terrier) have been named after scotch's and our cats have been named after bourbons. The scotches/bourbons were chosen more for the names than the taste but we have come up with some winners. Bookers (Booker-RIP Ocicat) and Ezra Brooks (Ezra-current Maine Coon) are the cats. Bookers is still one of my favorites. Ezra Brooks is fine but better for mixing than sipping. Oban (Obi-RIP), Bunnahabhain (Boone-RIP), Auchentoshan (Tosh-current), and Shackleton (Shaq-current) are the dogs. Oban is great and Bunnahabhain is very good. Auchentoshan was a little too peaty for me so those of you who like Laphroag and Lagavulin might like that. Shackleton is decent too but not as interesting and I didn't mind using it in cocktails.

Buffalo Trace is my go to distillery also. Because of the great price I'll use Buffalo Trace in cocktails but I am perfectly happy drinking it neat. Eagle Rare is a slight step up, and any of the Pappy's are amazing. Other favorites already mentioned are Basil Hayden, Blantons, Woodfords Reserve, Highland Park, Jameson, Whistle Pig, and Angels Envy. Others not yet mentioned that I can pull off the top of my head are Knob Creek, Glenmorangie, and Jeffersons. Another peaty one than I'm struggling through is Cragganmore.

My preferred glass is the Glencairn since I like it neat and, because of the ice, my husband prefers a regular lowball. We've tried round cubes, square cubes, frozen granite stone cubes, and various size cubes. Because he likes some melt-off, my husband's favorites are uniform medium cubes. If you like it up, try the stones, and if you're somewhere in between, try the giant spheres or cubes.
So I did not think I would like the stones or the round cubes but now I use them exclusively. Usually its one round ball with whatever ever I drink except I like Blue Label and Eagle Rare neat.

I see 2 bottles of Four Roses small batch in the pic which is a favorite of mine. I would suggest Russell's 10 Year:View attachment 181710

Good value too.
Yes, there are two bottles, a couple guys who I would play regular card games with DAMN YOU COVID, loved it so we stock up. Its one of my favs for the price.

I am not sure I have ever had the Russell's 10 year, I will put it on the list of things to try!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom