OT: Arizona State to become 60th D1 Hockey Program | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Arizona State to become 60th D1 Hockey Program

College hockey is fantastic.

We have two excellent programs down here in CT with Quinnipiac and Yale. Both sellout their arenas almost every game (each hold about 4,000). UConn moved in to Hockey East this year and just drew 8K for their conference opener against BC.

If CNY can put 30K in the Dome for an AHL game there's no reason why an SU men's hockey team couldn't draw 3-4K regularly, if not much better.

SU would be a great fit in the ECAC, with aspirations of joining Hockey East.

Would love to see it.

College hockey is fantastic.

We have two excellent programs down here in CT with Quinnipiac and Yale. Both sellout their arenas almost every game (each hold about 4,000). UConn moved in to Hockey East this year and just drew 8K for their conference opener against BC.

Yes, hockey is big here in CT. Craziest thing was two years ago ... when Yale and Q played each other for the National Championship... in Pittsburgh of all places. The schools are 10 miles apart... and they go to Pittsburgh to play for the NC in the "Frozen Four."

tep624 said:
They could go D1 but isn't that rule still in effect that they can't offer scholarships unless they take all of their sports D1? If it is, then SU inherently has a huge advantage.

UAF hockey is D1, everything else is D2, hockey gives schollys

We are a well-known school in a great location for recruiting New York talent or Canadian talent. Obviously the main issue for a new program would be finding a donor.

I was actually a fairly good hockey player back in bantams / midgets...had Syracuse had a D1 men's hockey team, I know alot of guys from the area that did go D1 for clarkson or st. lawrence, rpi..etc...would totally jump at the chance to play at a school like syracuse.

cto said:
Yes, hockey is big here in CT. Craziest thing was two years ago ... when Yale and Q played each other for the National Championship... in Pittsburgh of all places. The schools are 10 miles apart... and they go to Pittsburgh to play for the NC in the "Frozen Four."

My 7 year old plays travel Mite travel hockey (as CTO knows well from my incessant Facebook posts from rinks around CT!) and has already informed me that his college choices are BC and Quinnipiac due to their hockey programs.

The kid loves all things SU but won't consider going there until we have a D-1 hockey team.

So you have 10 years to make it happen, SU!

;)

I was actually a fairly good hockey player back in bantams / midgets...had Syracuse had a D1 men's hockey team, I know alot of guys from the area that did go D1 for clarkson or st. lawrence, rpi..etc...would totally jump at the chance to play at a school like syracuse.

All the other Upstate ECAC schools hate the prospect of SU going Division I.

They know the recruiting disadvantage they'll face with the locals when that happens.

Money is the only obstacle right now (though I'm skeptical that the Syracuse market will support college basketball, college hockey, and an AHL team; the new team is bound to cannibalize the Crunch).

All the other Upstate ECAC schools hate the prospect of SU going Division I.

They know the recruiting disadvantage they'll face with the locals when that happens.

Money is the only obstacle right now (though I'm skeptical that the Syracuse market will support college basketball, college hockey, and an AHL team; the new team is bound to cannibalize the Crunch).
AHL teams relocate frequently. Something would have to give, and I agree having both in the same city would make it difficult for either one to grow.

AHL teams relocate frequently. Something would have to give, and I agree having both in the same city would make it difficult for either one to grow.

We have the D1 Nanooks, and a Junior A league Ice Dogs, and both teams sell out every night they play