OT - Attendance | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Attendance

the-game-is-too-damn-long.jpg

Close to a perfect storm...if you added 85 degrees and humid outside...then a perfect storm.

Smart Phones are killing college sports...that is why no cheering (i'm even guilty at times)

BTW, have I ever mentioned our students suck...student crowd down 50% from last week...close game and more than half of those that came were not in their seats to start the 3rd Q.
Not trying to stick up for the students...they full on suck...but I think the no re-entry policy has alot to do with it. Very well thought out policy and exemplary of everything SU.

With today's technology I think the game should be played in "real time" in the venue. For TV they can put in TV ads and breaks where they want to and rejoin the game where they left off. At half time they can cut out the talking heads and use that time to rejoin the second have live and repeat the process. I see NO reason for the fans in the stands to suffer at the hands of those who do not attend in person. If you think a 4 hour game is bad in the dome try sitting in Buffalo for a Bills game with rain/snow and 28 degrees.
I sent a similar statement off to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell but since I got no response I think $$$$$$ won out.
This! No reason for it to be held up. Do you think people will care (or even notice) if portions of the broadcast are on a 30 second delay? Unbelievable the tv guys can't figure this out.

I completely agree with all of this. At the same time, I wonder if this is the majority opinion on this Board, and even if so, if this sentiment is shared with fans of programs like Bama, OSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Clemson, etc.? I think we can all agree, Syracuse's football culture is quite different than that of the football factories, and its those football factories that drive revenue, and by extension, change.

I listen to college sports radio alot on SIRIUS/XM and fans around the country of numerous schools (Many good winning schools, other bad) complain the games are too long and they hate being "trapped" at the stadium for 4+ hours on Saturday's. I mean the games just never end at times. The reviewing of meaningless plays has to stop. It's 3rd and 11 guy throws a 3 yard pass, either its 4th and 11 if he dropped it or 3rd and 8 if he caught it...who cares they are gonna punt anyway why review it for 10 min?! Stuff like that has to stop.

First game was free for students. Saturday wasn't for anyone. Free stuff!
I can see admins point...cant let an opportunity to shake an extra 15 bucks out of a couple hundred students go to waste.

I agree with changing the clock rules. They should change to a running clock and revert to the current rules after the 2 min warning each half. The review timeouts have gotten ridiculous and it's turned the refs into a bunch of indecisive pansies. Reviews should be limited to 30 seconds per instance with a rolling clock of 5 mins per half. Once you've used up 5 mins of review time in a half, sorry not reviewable. I think for injuries they need to take the player off the field as soon as possible the way they do in soccer. Injuries are part of the game, so why do we have to stop playing so you can give med treatment in the middle of the damn field? The trainers should come out with a stretcher, assess that there is no critical neck or spine injury and then get the player off the field. Evaluate and treat off the field.

Attendance trends are a pretty fascinating thing to analyze. So many competing dynamics are at play. The average game crowd in MLB this season is 30,112. Fifteen years ago it was 28,133. For a sport that people have declared dead and buried 100X over, that may seem surprising.

In the case of Cleveland, between the cost of tickets, the length of games, transportation congestion, improvements in TV/streaming coverage, and the increasing inflexibility in people's schedule, it may be reasonable that fans are less likely to react to compelling in-season storylines by attending games. I suspect TV ratings, web traffic and social media interaction has increased a good amount. People express their interest differently than years ago.

Attendance talk is fascinating . Its tougher than ever to fill seats in any sport. 29k for a noon baseball game isnt awful even with the streak. Think about it, baseball plays every night, loval teams now have local tv deals putting every game on beautiful flat screen hd tvs. The multimedia age is having an impact.

The NFL is seeing it slowly creep into its attendance. Alot of factors opposing NFL attendance:
Cost
Logistics: parking travel, crowds, its a 10 hr day to attend a pro game.
HD tvs and seeing replays, commentary, the game as a whole.
Football in my opinion is one of the worst live sports. Yes, i get it, most of us here are diehards and i love live fb in the dome, love cfb live. However, the NFL is a tough sell. Sterile, large stadiums, very corporate feel. Most fans seeing their first NFL game live are shocked at how much of the game they miss compared to tv viewing. Add in the players sitting for the anthem, arrests, and constant PR hits the league takes and fans are getting fed up. Thank god for CFB. :)
GO CUSE.

I'll say this... I didn't grow up much of a hockey fan, but I've gotten into it the past few years because my son plays travel hockey. Not only is it a fantastic sport to attend, it generally takes 2 1/4 hours for a full regular season game to play out. Turn on the TV at 7 and it's done by 9:15, maybe 9:30 at worst. It's a beautiful thing.

I am not sure I have seen Syracuse fans turn out in droves in a long long long time. attendance vs MTSU 29,721, that is after a lot of hype and anticipation coming off a big win and the essential start to the season.

That's the point.

If the Orange were on a great winning streak the fans would turn out in droves.

When you win three or four games a year for a few years, the CNY fan will turn away.

I'll say this... I didn't grow up much of a hockey fan, but I've gotten into it the past few years because my son plays travel hockey. Not only is it a fantastic sport to attend, it generally takes 2 1/4 hours for a full regular season game to play out. Turn on the TV at 7 and it's done by 9:15, maybe 9:30 at worst. It's a beautiful thing.

This right here is 100% true. I have fallen back in love with the NHL the past 5 years or so. And pace of play in the game is a BIG factor as to why! The NBA is unwatchable as if you breath too hard on someone it's called a foul and you see nothing but guys standing at the foul line these days in NBA games. Combine that with the "flopping" and its a joke. College basketball is meaningless till mid-February. It's a sport with total meaningless games the first 3/4 of the season. The "big boy" schools are now judged on Final Fours and NCAA titles, no longer does winning your conference even matter in reality.

In the NHL the action is fast, very few commercial breaks, the athletes almost never "dog it" or give less than max effort and it is all that is right with sports. The NHL isn't perfect (how they seed the playoffs is bad) but its pretty damn close. Not to mention it has improved my vocabulary learning how to pronounce the last names of the Russian and French-Canadian players.

Four hours too long?

Of course, for all of you with the attention span of a gnat.

You'll spend an hour of that staring into an i-phone exchanging vital information with people you have been endlessly communicating with all week. And surfing the web and the rest of it.

Four hours too long?

You'll spend an hour of that staring into an i-phone exchanging vital information with people you have been endlessly communicating with all week. And surfing the web and the rest of it.

OK.

Close to a perfect storm...if you added 85 degrees and humid outside...then a perfect storm.

Smart Phones are killing college sports...that is why no cheering (i'm even guilty at times)

BTW, have I ever mentioned our students suck...student crowd down 50% from last week...close game and more than half of those that came were not in their seats to start the 3rd Q.

Totally agree mark. 330 start and they were late to arrive, quick to leave in a close game.Pathetic . Our fans are generally front runners. If we grab an early lead then the frontrunners generate some noise on D. If its close, tied or down by a score , it's crickets.

Four hours too long?

4 hrs is tedious and ridiculous. 4 hrs of no flow or rhythm.

Not trying to stick up for the students...they full on suck...but I think the no re-entry policy has alot to do with it. Very well thought out policy and exemplary of everything SU.

True, the reentry was crazy when you think about it. Scanned on the way in for security, after HT, just show a ticket for reentry???? Not very safe.

They need to figure something out, 4 hours is a killer for too many programs. The flopping stuff is terrible too.
Flopping could be easily stopped by a rule that if you are injured on a play, and the clock must stop for your injury, you are out of the game until there is a possesion change. Legitimate injuries you should be out at least that long anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: FAL
Four hours too long?

Thanks for the laugh Townie. Never fails

82 degrees and sunny in the 'Cuse tomorrow! My guess is under 30K and a whole lot of cramping going on for CMU. ;):)

True, the reentry was crazy when you think about it. Scanned on the way in for security, after HT, just show a ticket for reentry???? Not very safe.

That's not how it worked. Scan out and scan back in.

Four hours too long?

687474703a2f2f32352e6d656469612e74756d626c722e636f6d2f74756d626c725f6d367962736d6c7642483171617939346a6f315f313238302e706e67

I am your biggest fan here (since Zak got run off). I only want 4 hours of a Springsteen show

First of all, I don't know where four hours comes from. Is that from the time you drive onto the Hill and until leave it? The actual game takes far less than that.

Second, I have been to many, many games of all sorts. I can't remember ever thinking, "This is taking too long". I sometimes root for OT so I can see more of it, if it's a good game.

Third, complaining about the (purposely-inflated) length of a football game is just part of a pattern on here. Nothing escapes the wrath of the hyper-sensitive from the lack of AC to the crowded concourse to the shape of the urinals.

Fourth, whatever happened to Archbold Zak?

Fifth, If I was in DC today, I'd go to Prep v. Gonzaga (The War of the Upscale Catholics) and catch the end of the SU game on WatchESPN.

First of all, I don't know where four hours comes from. Is that from the time you drive onto the Hill and until leave it? The actual game takes far less than that.

Second, I have been to many, many games of all sorts. I can't remember ever thinking, "This is taking too long". I sometimes root for OT so I can see more of it, if it's a good game.

Third, complaining about the (purposely-inflated) length of a football game is just part of a pattern on here. Nothing escapes the wrath of the hyper-sensitive from the lack of AC to the crowded concourse to the shape of the urinals.

Fourth, whatever happened to Archbold Zak?

Fifth, If I was in DC today, I'd go to Prep v. Gonzaga (The War of the Upscale Catholics) and catch the end of the SU game on WatchESPN.
You would have to have been there to experience all the dead time that made the MTSU game stretch so badly. Four hours of bang-bang action it was not!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom