OT: Baylor walk on declared ineligible basically for being homeless | Syracusefan.com

OT: Baylor walk on declared ineligible basically for being homeless

jekelish

Living Legend
http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/02/25/baylor-running-back-homeless-salsa-nacita

A walk on at Baylor was homeless, and a family friend gave him a place to stay while he pursued his studies at Baylor, since walk ons don't receive free places to live. The NCAA said that was an extra benefit and declared him ineligible, and instead of doing a good thing and just awarding him a scholarship, Baylor basically just booted him.

Unbelievable. Blow up the NCAA please.

Maybe Baylor declared him ineligible in order to stave off NCAA infractions while they investigated? :noidea:

Why wouldn't Baylor put him on athletic scholarship? Because as a "walk-on" with Academic Scholarships they can use the 85 towards other people??

I clearly remember a big name coach saying in a televised interview years ago that he provided a plane ticket to a player so he could fly home after the sudden death of a parent, and said he'd do it again regardless of the rules because IT WAS THE RIGHT AND DECENT THING TO DO!

I clearly remember a big name coach saying in a televised interview years ago that he provided a plane ticket to a player so he could fly home after the sudden death of a parent, and said he'd do it again regardless of the rules because IT WAS THE RIGHT AND DECENT THING TO DO!

Rick Majerus at Utah. He drove the kid to the airport and bought him a cheeseburger while he was waiting for his flight.

you would think someone in that situation would have no money and get a full need based scholie from a school like baylor

Anyone know this kids back story? I would love to know how/why he was homelss in the first place.

I had a feeling there was a lot more than met the eye here. As awful as the NCAA might be, and a fun as it is to pile on them, there are also many cases where a school or athlete uses them as a boogeyman to deflect blame from themselves.

Scooch said:
I had a feeling there was a lot more than met the eye here. As awful as the NCAA might be, and a fun as it is to pile on them, there are also many cases where a school or athlete uses them as a boogeyman to deflect blame from themselves.

Anything that makes the NCAA look bad, whether true or not, is a good thing.

The only way this kid should be ineligible is if Baylor funded his housing as a way to get around the scholarship limit. The apology is because Baylor has to basically beg the NCAA to reinstate him.

Maybe Baylor declared him ineligible in order to stave off NCAA infractions while they investigated? :noidea:
Why. The kid would be a grand parent by the time they ruled

Eh, it's probably still the NCAA. The only thing they care about is bad press and cashing paychecks. And they aren't good at avoiding that (bad press).