OT: Best pickup games vs CBB/Pro athlete stories... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Best pickup games vs CBB/Pro athlete stories...

Jason Stackhouse. He went to Corcoran. He was a year ahead of me. We played against him (I had a front row seat on the bench) as I only saw minutes in garbage time that year. He could really play. Their entire starting 5 that year was extremely talented.
YES, that's the name I was thinking of... good look, thanks for clarifying

Edit: Jason was the name I always had in mind, but every time I did a quick google search for him I could never find a thing on him, anywhere

OK, here is another one. Roosevelt Bouie still lives in Kendall, NY, not far from Brockport. A few years ago, a couple of my grad students would go to the college gym to play full-court pick-up bball around lunchtime. Rosie often came to play. So, one day, I went over with them (not to play), met Rosie, talked Orange basketball a while, and watched them play. He was old enough to be slowed down, but was still BIG. I seriously considered going to play the next time just so I could say, "I boxed out Roosevelt Bouie." Luckily, my knees told my brain, "DON'T DO IT." I did make friends with Rosie, however, and visited with him when he was doing color commentary at an SU game later that year.

I played a pick up game with Lazarus Sims after his senior season. He did whatever he wanted. No crazy stories about it. I just remember the day because I lost my wallet that day.
I played against Laz at Schiller Park back when he was on the team but before he cracked the rotation. It was like he was toying with the ball.

2003. During the Mike Hart/OCS dynasty. OCS was up on us by 28 and Hart was still in the game in the 3rd quarter. He was returning a punt and I was filling my lane. Hart juked to the left to avoid a teammate, right into me fitting him up. Huge hit. I still remember the crowd gasping. Hart got up, tapped me on the helmet, ran to the sideline; and didn't play another snap in the game. I could tell a funny "bounty-gate story" from that game as well, but I'll keep quiet to avoid a fine.

Other story (not a pro-athlete) but another amusing OCS story. Played them in basketball the same year. Hart wore goggles so he would not hurt his vision. They had a player named Hodges Sneed. Unbelievable athlete. I tried to take a charge against him. Was absolutely posterized. Hakim's texas dunk on steroids. OCS gym went nuts. Was the low point of my basketball career.
Don't F w OCS

I played against Don Foote, father of Jeff Foote who played at Cornell about 12 years ago. Don played at Niagara and was 6'11, probably about 40 at the time and hadn't been playing much based on his apparent conditioning. It was a tournament in a small church gym and his team pressed full court with him parked under the basket, blocking everything in sight.

We met in the championship and surprisingly we kept it pretty close. With about 8 minutes left we broke the press and I got the ball foul line extended at the 3 point line. I pump faked hoping to get him to come out to contest so I could drive around him. He said "shoot it" so I went up for the apparent uncontested jumper. He took 3 steps and blocked my shot off the wall of the gym. As a 6'2 pf who could leap he blocked 5 or 6 of my shots. Pump faking didn't work because he really didn't need to jump. You can't teach 6'11

Here's my story:

The morning after the Knicks acquired Tracy McGrady (February 2010), I happened to be playing in a pre-arranged pickup game at the NY Knicks training facility in Tarrytown, NY. Since the Knicks had basically traded multiple players to acquire McGrady (in order to make the salary cap numbers work), I joked with my buddy that had invited me to play that we could technically consider this a tryout (since the Knicks technically had open roster spots to fill).

On my team were Allan Houston and Basketball Hall-of-Famer Carol Blazejowski (she was President of the WNBA New York Liberty at the time). On the other team was my buddy, his brother (MSG Executive), a player on the Liberty (wish I could remember her name) and a really good D-III player.

First possession of the game, the Liberty gal is guarding me - and I back-cut along the baseline and get free for a lefty layup to start the scoring. So I'm feeling pretty good. But I quickly realized that with Allan Houston and Blaze on my squad, my role would be setting screens and grabbing rebounds - and then getting out of the way. Houston's jumper from 25+ feet out was effortless... and he had no problem getting his shot up even when he was double and triple teamed.

Blaze was a real piece of work. She was screaming at me to hedge when my guy was setting screens - and then she screamed at me more when my guy knocked down an open jumper (after I helped on the screen, just like she asked/screamed at me to do). About half way through the game, Blaze apparently had enough - and when we got the ball back, she posted the crap out of my buddy and screamed for the ball, "MISMATCH!" - it was hysterical.

Late in the game - after all of the Knick coaches and players had arrived at the facility and began to warm up - Houston had the ball again 28 feet from the basket with 3 guys draped all over him. I cut to the basket - (to position myself for an offensive rebound) and this time, he surprised me with a pass... I caught it, fumbled it, steadied myself with a dribble - and then went up for the layup... and the Liberty gal literally blocked my $ h!t off of the back wall.

My buddy sidled up to me and quietly said, "I don't think the Knicks are signing either one of us." My NBA dream died that day...

I thought Josh wright was better than Paulus in high school

Actually I thought Terry Smith of Ludden was better than Paulus. Paulus was a poor defender hidden in high school by playing the middle in a 1-3-1 zone. Paulus’s foot speed was suspect as a point guard, good shooter though but too short to be a D1 shooting guard unfortunately. Terry Smith the last I heard was still making a good living overseas playing basketball. Josh Wright was very fast but had the advantage of having Will Smith on his team but Wright’s shooting other from his fast breaking ability never impressed me.

Basketball - 3 main ones...

1) Bill Wennington - I was young, he was big. I scored, but got swatted around pretty good.

2) Malik Rose - I was a little older, but still young. He was also big. I scored twice but was swatted around equally as bad.

3) Adonal Foyle - dated one of my childhood best friend’s cousins. Smoked his @ $ $ from deep... lol. I hit like 2 bombs and he then dominated me very badly.

All three were great human beings. Very fond memories.

Also played with Laz and some other guys from the Rochester Razor Sharks days.

Here's my story:

The morning after the Knicks acquired Tracy McGrady (February 2010), I happened to be playing in a pre-arranged pickup game at the NY Knicks training facility in Tarrytown, NY. Since the Knicks had basically traded multiple players to acquire McGrady (in order to make the salary cap numbers work), I joked with my buddy that had invited me to play that we could technically consider this a tryout (since the Knicks technically had open roster spots to fill).

On my team were Allan Houston and Basketball Hall-of-Famer Carol Blazejowski (she was President of the WNBA New York Liberty at the time). On the other team was my buddy, his brother (MSG Executive), a player on the Liberty (wish I could remember her name) and a really good D-III player.

First possession of the game, the Liberty gal is guarding me - and I back-cut along the baseline and get free for a lefty layup to start the scoring. So I'm feeling pretty good. But I quickly realized that with Allan Houston and Blaze on my squad, my role would be setting screens and grabbing rebounds - and then getting out of the way. Houston's jumper from 25+ feet out was effortless... and he had no problem getting his shot up even when he was double and triple teamed.

Blaze was a real piece of work. She was screaming at me to hedge when my guy was setting screens - and then she screamed at me more when my guy knocked down an open jumper (after I helped on the screen, just like she asked/screamed at me to do). About half way through the game, Blaze apparently had enough - and when we got the ball back, she posted the crap out of my buddy and screamed for the ball, "MISMATCH!" - it was hysterical.

Late in the game - after all of the Knick coaches and players had arrived at the facility and began to warm up - Houston had the ball again 28 feet from the basket with 3 guys draped all over him. I cut to the basket - (to position myself for an offensive rebound) and this time, he surprised me with a pass... I caught it, fumbled it, steadied myself with a dribble - and then went up for the layup... and the Liberty gal literally blocked my $ h!t off of the back wall.

My buddy sidled up to me and quietly said, "I don't think the Knicks are signing either one of us." My NBA dream died that day...
my wife thinks i'm the biggest loser for remembering every detail of every game i've ever played - our son will do something playing soccer and i'll say that happened to me at hilton sophomore year in the rain and she'll say that she just doesn't care to remember anything from playing sports in high school. this happens often

i love the detail of these stories. the embarrassment still stings for all of us ha

I remember giving up at least 50 to Craig Kowadla from Westhill in summer league game out in Skaneateles when I was I think a year or two out of high school. A few years earlier I was dunked on bad by Dorsey Levens in some summer league stuff. ( Great guy though)

Played pick up hoop one day in Eugene, OR probably 20 years ago with Danny Ainge ( I think he had been retired 4-5 years or so) and one his buddies that he played with at BYU, they were both fantastic and their shots were ridiculous from anywhere on the court. You forget how good an athlete Danny Ainge really was. I was in awe. They played on separate teams and it was actually a ton of fun.

was in LA visiting my buddy and his family, played pick up with Adam Sandler and that was fun super nice guy. His game is old guy esque and scrappy. Couple other Hollywood guys were playing that I should have known but didn't.

Thats' all I got

when Adrian Dantley went awol back in the day, he turned up at my college (AU in DC) and I shot hoops with him a couple of times. the 2nd time I saw him in the gym, we were about to play our arch rival fraternity so we got AD one of our jerseys and had him warm up with us before the game. the look on their faces when they saw AD in our layup line was priceless

~

when I lived on Comstock near East Genny I played a bunch of pick up games in Thorndon. One day we had a pretty good run going and the next group up had some girl who was going to ball with them. Of course, I get the no-win situation of D'ing her up. She starts throwing elbows and boxing out like a madwoman, making dead on passes and lighting me up with her shot. I get demolished.

I'm no stud hoops player. Just another average white boy who once blocked the shiznit out of a Dave Siock shot, but I was flat out mortified that day I first met Felisha Legette.

I remember giving up at least 50 to Craig Kowadla from Westhill in summer league game out in Skaneateles when I was I think a year or two out of high school. A few years earlier I was dunked on bad by Dorsey Levens in some summer league stuff. ( Great guy though)

Played pick up hoop one day in Eugene, OR probably 20 years ago with Danny Ainge ( I think he had been retired 4-5 years or so) and one his buddies that he played with at BYU, they were both fantastic and their shots were ridiculous from anywhere on the court. You forget how good an athlete Danny Ainge really was. I was in awe. They played on separate teams and it was actually a ton of fun.

was in LA visiting my buddy and his family, played pick up with Adam Sandler and that was fun super nice guy. His game is old guy esque and scrappy. Couple other Hollywood guys were playing that I should have known but didn't.

Thats' all I got
i met sandler at chucks in 94 or 95 - agree, he was a nice regular guy

Nothing that involves me but I got to watch Andray Blatche in highscool as he was two years ahead of me maybe or when I was a freshman he was a senior.

In football I played agaisint some good players here and there, I did get the chance to watch from sidelines(I didn’t play much) when we played shading CBA and that was the year they won states with Paulus, Williams, Lobdell, and a bunch of other talented kids. We lost of course but it was like 38-29 I think. Still think that if we beat cba we either would’ve won states or lost in the finals to Ray Rice and new Rochelle.

I was a grade below Paulus. That year against New Rochelle, Rice got injured. I don't remember how much of the game he missed but I'm not sure we win if that doesn't happen. I can't remember at all how the game went. Wasn't interested in riding pine or sideline standing with other friends so I never played. Was in the stands, probably distracted lol.

A little OT. Played some hockey against current Detroit Red Wing goalie Jimmy Howard. He’s from our town. Kid was a sieve. Guess things turned out ok for him though. Oh, and he was 12 years old at the time, and we were in our late 30’s. Lol

Small world, one my best friends used to go out with his sister for years and Jimmy always took em on these awesome trips. Nice guy

Thats' all I got

Has played pickup ball with Danny Ainge and Adam Sandler ... "that's all I've got".
That's awesome.

I was a grade below Paulus. That year against New Rochelle, Rice got injured. I don't remember how much of the game he missed but I'm not sure we win if that doesn't happen. I can't remember at all how the game went. Wasn't interested in riding pine or sideline standing with other friends so I never played. Was in the stands, probably distracted lol.
was at the game and CBA was great but if Rice hadn't gone down New Rochelle was going to win.

was at the game and CBA was great but if Rice hadn't gone down New Rochelle was going to win.

New Rochelle had 3 really good players, best pure athlete on the field that day was their QB, Geoff McDermott who went to on to play hoops at Providence and the other two went to Rutgers to play football. Rice and who was the other guy? think he went to the NFL as well. Safety or DB right?

And I agree no way CBA wins if Rice doesn't go out

New Rochelle had 3 really good players, best pure athlete on the field that day was their QB, Geoff McDermott who went to on to play hoops at Providence and the other two went to Rutgers to play football. Rice and who was the other guy? think he went to the NFL as well. Safety or DB right?

And I agree no way CBA wins if Rice doesn't go out
Kid was a safety at Rutgers - was his last name Green?

Yeah that's how my fuzzy memory remembers it.
I just won't tell that to my friends who were on that team.

Spent quite a bit of time balling with the Cuse guys in the offseason in early 2000s. Played against and with them all. Some guys were great (hak, McNeil...he had a nickname that I can’t remember...”hammer” maybe?!). Ronneil was always there. Really great and SMART dude. I probably played with Deshaun 100 times. He was so classically awesome. Melo and Gmac were rarities. Fun times.

Spent quite a bit of time balling with the Cuse guys in the offseason in early 2000s. Played against and with them all. Some guys were great (hak, McNeil...he had a nickname that I can’t remember...”hammer” maybe?!). Ronneil was always there. Really great and SMART dude. I probably played with Deshaun 100 times. He was so classically awesome. Melo and Gmac were rarities. Fun times.

Big Perm

I seem to rmember there was a 2 or 3 td lead and then he got injured and then cba made the comeback and won by a td...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom