OT: Bo Pelini to Youngstown St. | Syracusefan.com

OT: Bo Pelini to Youngstown St.

This is just stunning to me. I know he has his personality quirks but I figured Bo would be able to get a better job than this. I realize the Tressel connection but still find it surprising.

I also thought Tom Hermann would hold out for a better job than Houston. I think he could get one.

MSOrange said:
This is just stunning to me. I know he has his personality quirks but I figured Bo would be able to get a better job than this. I realize the Tressel connection but still find it surprising. I also thought Tom Hermann would hold out for a better job than Houston. I think he could get one.
good for Bo think he an do this thing in his hometown and be content. Husker buy out has him set for rest of his life anyway. Hermann will be at a P5 school in 2 years unless he's Bob diaco junior.

I honestly thought both Herman and Pelini could have been contenders for the Pitt job. I just hope Pitt doesn't hire Doc Holiday from Marshall if Chryst goes to Wisconsin.

Watching the Youngstown Boys 30 for 30 last year Tressel had YSU as a 1-AA power. Two of the best hires in sports were Ohio state hiring Tressel from YSU and Bo Ryan being hired at Wisconsin from UW-Whitewater.

This is just stunning to me. I know he has his personality quirks but I figured Bo would be able to get a better job than this. I realize the Tressel connection but still find it surprising.

I also thought Tom Hermann would hold out for a better job than Houston. I think he could get one.

I think Herman is going to a school where he thinks he can recruit and win right away, and land a much bigger job down the road.

My jaw dropped when i heard this earlier. At the same time...talk about no worries with job security. I wonder how he would have fared in Syracuse had he ventured out here.

Macky44 said:
My jaw dropped when i heard this earlier. At the same time...talk about no worries with job security. I wonder how he would have fared in Syracuse had he ventured out here.

Somebody mentioned it on here last week that Pelini was eyeing the YSU job.

Scott Shafer is basically Bo Pelini. (Not talking personality)

If the time comes where we need to make another hire it better be an offensive minded HC. YSU can have Pelini.

Full_Rebar said:
I think Herman is going to a school where he thinks he can recruit and win right away, and land a much bigger job down the road.

He has to recruit against all of the other bigger texas schools and the plethora of SEC/Big12 schools that hit texas. His task will not be easy.

He has to recruit against all of the other bigger texas schools and the plethora of SEC/Big12 schools that hit texas. His task will not be easy.

Enough talent in Texas to compete for the AAC title though, don't you think?

I'll bet Youngstown State is a powerhouse within 3 years, competing again for FCS National Championships.

On another note, Nebraska's offense has been very successful under OC Tim Beck, who took the position in 2011, in what is generally regarded to be a pretty good defensive conference:
Year Total Offensive Yards/gm FBS rank Total Offensive Pts/gm FBS rank
2014 33rd 13th
2013 58th 48th
2012 26th 28th
2011 66th 50th

Tim Beck is from Youngstown and undoubtedly will be offered the job of OC at Youngstown State by Pelini. Obviously, the pull of going home has to be great. At the same time, while Pelini is taken care of for the near future due to the large buyout, Tim Beck is not. I would think a significant monetary offer would be attractive. He's proven he is an effective OC. Granted his players were more highly regarded recruits, but they faced largely better defenses than the ACC offers.