OT - Caleb White ( HS PG in AL) | Syracusefan.com

OT - Caleb White ( HS PG in AL)

Thorough enough physicals aren't being done. I was talking to someone about this the other day and he said he's asking for an echocardiogram this year for his son. It's typically been a genital check and blood work.

I'm sure someone else knows this, but what is the standard physical for HS sports now?

I barely remember mine from the 90s, but it sure seemed like it wasn't *that* thorough.

I get that the 90s were different, so genuinely asking. I once got a stage 3 concussion (lost memory, had to ride in an ambulance, tried to fight a doctor when I was being seen at the hospital), told to take two weeks off, found a doctor to re-instate after one week. Different time.

But seriously asking about the physicals thing.

I'm sure someone else knows this, but what is the standard physical for HS sports now?

I barely remember mine from the 90s, but it sure seemed like it wasn't *that* thorough.

I get that the 90s were different, so genuinely asking. I once got a stage 3 concussion (lost memory, had to ride in an ambulance, tried to fight a doctor when I was being seen at the hospital), told to take two weeks off, found a doctor to re-instate after one week. Different time.

My daughters yearly HS sports physicals are pretty basic. Vitals and heart/lung sounds are pretty much the extent of it.

From a concussion standpoint - it seems like they are handled more thoroughly than in the past. Longer protocols and multiple tests need to be passed before returning to play.

Undiagnosed medical issue presumably? Definitely a nightmare for that family and his friends. Sad.

JDHS does pre-season concussion protocol testing for contact sports; not optional. Establishes pre-concussion baseline. Not sure exactly what test entails

JDHS does pre-season concussion protocol testing for contact sports; not optional. Establishes pre-concussion baseline. Not sure exactly what test entails
Impressive. That certainly wasn’t Red Ram protocol in the 80s, I can assure you.

Here in PA, at least at the middle school level, they have a whole concussion requirement just to try out for ANY sport.

Athletes must complete the following two concussion items in order to participate in a sport or attend a tryout:

Please understand that there are 2 different requirements. Athletes need to complete both concussion requirements listed below. Both concussion items are good for ONE school year.

1. Online CCET Concussion-Education Program:

The concussion education program will be completed online from home by the athlete. This is an informational presentation designed to educate students on concussion prevention, symptoms and follow-up care. Each section will have questions that students will have to answer in order to complete the program. When you have completed the presentation and all the questions, it will show you your score. Your Athletic Director will be able to see who has completed this presentation and the score you receive on the questions.
*This education program should be completed by the athlete before taking the Impact Concussion Test
Please download the directions for the Online CCET Concussion-Education Program in order to complete the program.

2. Online Concussion Impact Test:

The ImPACT Test will also be completed online by the athlete. It consists of several cognitive questions which will provide a baseline for future impact testing in the event the student suffers a concussion during the Holland Middle School athletic season. The baseline can then be referenced to help determine an athlete’s readiness to return to practice and competitions. Concussion IMPACT testing and Concussion Education are MANDATORY for every student athlete. Athletes must have both the Concussion Education Program and the Impact Test completed before attending tryouts.

*If you are an 8th grade student who took the concussion test and concussion education program last year, you will still need to take both of them again this school year. Concussion tests are valid for one school year.

I had at least two concussions playing hockey. One of them I finished the game, went home, had dinner and went to bed.

I woke up with no memory of anything after the first period.

The past couple years in FL we have had to do a heart check now. I have heard of a couple kids where this test identified 'wolf's' something or other syndrome, which they then had to treat before they were allowed to compete.

The past couple years in FL we have had to do a heart check now. I have heard of a couple kids where this test identified 'wolf's' something or other syndrome, which they then had to treat before they were allowed to compete.
Likely Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. An arrhythmia that causes a fast heart rate

i couldn't qualify junior year because of an "anomaly" before an EKG/ECG.
It "cleared up" by senior year and never returned, but could have saved my life.
Compared to "cough."

I had at least two concussions playing hockey. One of them I finished the game, went home, had dinner and went to bed.

I woke up with no memory of anything after the first period.
I got a concussion walking out of the Chipotle on Marshall St, low freaking door, thought I got shot when I hit it.

Late 90s I remember going to my primary, doing a quick chit chat, turn my head and cough, and a few deep breaths

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom