OT: Chris Mullin Means Business | Syracusefan.com

OT: Chris Mullin Means Business

Without doubt, this will be a big shot in the arm for St. John's. Every high school kid knows that lottery pick # is part talent and part hype. NYC press will be fawning over all of Mullin's pursuits with a level of hype that can only be obtained in the world's media capital.

The other side of the coin is Carnesecca Arena holds 5,600. It will be a decade before the school can obtain a decent facility and who can afford MSG rental prices.

I like Chris Mullin and I generally support the Johnnies -- but I really do not believe this is going to do much for that program other than get some more headlines in the local news for the first two years or so.

He's never coached before, not saying he can't do a good job there, but they aren't going to just become St John's again because Chris Mullin is there.

Weren't people saying generally these same things when Lavin took over?

I want St. Johns to be good - I think a strong SJU is good for college basketball.

I'd rather beat St. Johns 7 or 8 out of 10 times when they're a Top 40 program than 10 out of 10 times when they're a doormat.

I want St. Johns to be good - I think a strong SJU is good for college basketball.

I'd rather beat St. Johns 7 or 8 out of 10 times when they're a Top 40 program than 10 out of 10 times when they're a doormat.

I care more about the strength of SU basketball than the state of college basketball in general. I want to beat St. John's 10 times out of 10. I want them weak so that they are not a threat to SU's recruiting.

I care more about the strength of SU basketball than the state of college basketball in general. I want to beat St. John's 10 times out of 10. I want them weak so that they are not a threat to SU's recruiting.

I just think it would be fun to be in the Garden and have consistent Top 25 SU/SJU matchups for entertainment value. I don't think we have any reason to be threatened by them.

I think St. John's can be better than they have been but their days as a consistent top 20 team may be gone. I think they can be a ranked team every so often but I just can't see them becoming a major player regularly on 5 star type kids. It was a big mistake to build the dorms so they could house players, they basically gave away the huge advantage they had in keeping local kids.

I think St. John's can be better than they have been but their days as a consistent top 20 team may be gone. I think they can be a ranked team every so often but I just can't see them becoming a major player regularly on 5 star type kids. It was a big mistake to build the dorms so they could house players, they basically gave away the huge advantage they had in keeping local kids.

Sounds like you are describing SU football.

Under the old rules you could live at home and receive a StJohns housing allowance.