OT: For the Nancy Cantor Fans Out There | Syracusefan.com

OT: For the Nancy Cantor Fans Out There

Speaking from experience, the website that posted the article is exactly the type of organization that FCNC loved to fund and harbor. It's a lot of talk and little action.

How does one rise to become the Chancellor of any university? And once there, is it likely that one could just bounce around from one university to the next, dragging each one down in your wake?

How does one rise to become the Chancellor of any university? And once there, is it likely that one could just bounce around from one university to the next, dragging each one down in your wake?
She knows how to play the game.

Are there any?

She was an albatross.

From what I hear, there are still a good number of Cantor folks still at SU, although I think the pressure is on many of them to move along.

From what I hear, there are still a good number of Cantor folks still at SU, although I think the pressure is on many of them to move along.
The number was more than 200 managers with 1 or fewer employees reporting directly to them.

The organization I briefly worked at, which was technically an independent organization that "shared services" with the University, had four managers and two employees.

The number was more than 200 managers with 1 or fewer employees reporting directly to them.

The organization I briefly worked at, which was technically an independent organization that "shared services" with the University, had four managers and two employees.
That is one ugly, and non-productive, organizational chart.

LeMoyneCuse said:
The number was more than 200 managers with 1 or fewer employees reporting directly to them. The organization I briefly worked at, which was technically an independent organization that "shared services" with the University, had four managers and two employees.

Yep and Syverud has been flushing that out and weeding out unnecessary personnel. Several departments are taking cuts.

I have this natural gag reflex whenever I hear or read the phrase "social justice".
The organization I worked for was constructed vaguely around that... I think. The Co-Directors of this organization made $200k a year combined and had all of their travel covered. You know what they did? Sit on conference calls all day. And one of them once told me that he couldn't explain to his wife what the purpose of the organization was. And his wife is a state-level politican who is used to vagueness.

My first staff meeting, it went on for 3.5 hours and didn't even get through the agenda. I sat through a weekly staff meeting once where they spent an hour discussing who should sit next to who at a dinner meeting.

Their big purpose was to have a national conference that was supposed to insight a program of change for the next year. The directors spent most of their time planning for the next conference.

The organization I worked for was constructed vaguely around that... I think. The Co-Directors of this organization made $200k a year combined and had all of their travel covered. You know what they did? Sit on conference calls all day. And one of them once told me that he couldn't explain to his wife what the purpose of the organization was. And his wife is a state-level politican who is used to vagueness.

My first staff meeting, it went on for 3.5 hours and didn't even get through the agenda. I sat through a weekly staff meeting once where they spent an hour discussing who should sit next to who at a dinner meeting.

Their big purpose was to have a national conference that was supposed to insight a program of change for the next year. The directors spent most of their time planning for the next conference.

Reading stuff like this makes me feel so much better that I work with a company and group of people who spend the first 10 minutes of a meeting talking about the upcoming football season. I couldn't make it at the company you just described.

Reading stuff like this makes me feel so much better that I work with a company and group of people who spend the first 10 minutes of a meeting talking about the upcoming football season. I couldn't make it at the company you just described.
I lasted 2 months.

The thing is, there is nothing inherently wrong with making a school "economically and racially diverse" or forging "connections with the city". Institutions, be them schools, corporations, or non-profits, are better when they are more diverse. And schools should certainly avoid being isolated from the communities they're in.

But it's all in the execution.

Cantor executed poorly.

You forgot gender diversity

The thing is, there is nothing inherently wrong with making a school "economically and racially diverse" or forging "connections with the city". Institutions, be them schools, corporations, or non-profits, are better when they are more diverse. And schools should certainly avoid being isolated from the communities they're in.

But it's all in the execution.

Cantor executed poorly.

Well said. As a local resident, I want SU to be connected to the region. I just don't need SU paying 200k salaries to people to handle things like community outreach. Cantor's decision to remove merit awards was a disaster, and even programs that increased ethnic diversity failed because she increased financial aid, without increasing the support structures needed to allow those students to succeed.

Anyone on here work for the university?

I guess they are providing incentive to those who qualify (age and service to SU) to retire at the end of the year.

Likely part of the "clean" out.