OT - Investigative report re: Marvin Bagley's AAU team and Nike | Syracusefan.com

OT - Investigative report re: Marvin Bagley's AAU team and Nike

cuse10

All American

Marvin Bagley III and the loyalty game: How sneaker dollars transformed youth basketball

The Swoosh Effect: First in an occasional series

Jeff Manning and Brad Schmidt | The Oregonian/OregonLive

In a normal year, one of the biggest stories of the NCAA Tournament would be freshman sensation Marvin Bagley III.

The prospect of Bagley's last hurrah as a Duke Blue Devil and ascent to the NBA would be near-perfect fodder for the myth-makers at Nike. Bagley has been a part of the Nike system for nearly three years, starting when he was 16.

But this is far from a normal year. March Madness is overshadowed by an ongoing scandal that has toppled seven coaches and agents and cast a pall over two of Oregon's marquee companies, Nike and Adidas.

Adidas, which has its North American headquarters in Portland, found itself at ground zero after two company representatives were indicted on allegations they paid to steer recruits to Adidas-affiliated schools. Jim Gatto and Merl Code have pleaded not guilty to fraud and conspiracy charges.

It has been widely reported that Nike's Elite Youth Basketball League has been subpoenaed in connection with the federal investigation, but none of the footwear companies has been charged in the alleged conspiracy. Backed by Nike money, the league now competes with local high schools for the best players and coaches.

Read more

tenor.gif

I am shocked. Schocked.
Duke used to keep this stuff in house.

A 2003 New Orleans Times-Picayune investigation (not available online) revealed that former Duke guard Chris Duhon's mother landed a job in Raleigh/Durham working for a Duke booster; co-workers said the job opening was never posted and that Harper was overpaid and lacked qualifications. Mom was losing her house in Louisiana to foreclosure. The article makes it clear there was no job before Mom got hired. Chris also showed up on campus with a new car. As I recall, it was a 280Z.

I am shocked. Schocked.
Duke used to keep this stuff in house.

A 2003 New Orleans Times-Picayune investigation (not available online) revealed that former Duke guard Chris Duhon's mother landed a job in Raleigh/Durham working for a Duke booster; co-workers said the job opening was never posted and that Harper was overpaid and lacked qualifications. Mom was losing her house in Louisiana to foreclosure. The article makes it clear there was no job before Mom got hired. Chris also showed up on campus with a new car. As I recall, it was a 280Z.

And then there's Ohio State...

terrelle-pryor-corvette.jpg

Fake news. Duke told all of us that they performed an exhaustive investigation themselves to ensure that Bagley was good to go. You know...like how they once put the hammer down on Grayson Allen by suspending him indefinitely for his tripping incidents.

giphy.gif

Honestly, this is why college athletics stink. Just level the playing field already would you? and e ff Duke , kentucky, kansas and all these other schools that are blatant cheaters

Well said

Gee, I wonder why Duke landed the #1, #2, and #3 rated recruits for the class of 2018?

Programs like Duke cheat with impunity. I say "programs" instead of specifying Coach K, because they work through boosters so that the HC can maintain plausible deniability.

But I'm glad that this stuff is getting exposed, on the periphery of the broader FBI investigation / scandal. Enough is enough.

Good for the family...everyone else is cashing in on the kid.

Lets see what Emmerts A team comes up with for dealing with this stuff.

College basketball is a lot more enjoyable when you just acknowledge this stuff goes on and not care.

I just wish the basketball was actually better.
I agree - what is the schock? These AAU teams are shady? No way. Everyone is making money including the players and their families. Your point about the fact that the level of play goes down as the money goes up is depressing.

I agree - what is the schock? These AAU teams are shady? No way. Everyone is making money including the players and their families. Your point about the fact that the level of play goes down as the money goes up is depressing.

The "shock" is how many of these kids should be ineligible based upon NCAA rules, and yet are allowed to play. Meanwhile, at Pepperdine... the NCAA hammers a golf student athlete on partial scholarship for washing her car for free using a university hose, and she's forced to pay back $24 dollars toward the water bill, because they view that as an impermissible benefit.

Enforce the rules, or change them -- but at least dispense with the sham.

Fake news. Duke told all of us that they performed an exhaustive investigation themselves to ensure that Bagley was good to go. You know...like how they once put the hammer down on Grayson Allen by suspending him indefinitely for his tripping incidents.
I'm hearing Duke plans to suspend Bagley for the ENTIRE 2018-2019 season! Wow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom