OT: Jim Boeheim threatens to punch Jay Williams over basketball opinion | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Jim Boeheim threatens to punch Jay Williams over basketball opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
and Pete chose to play with floppy socks which also had to be a handicap. so clark's achievement is drastically inferior he said dripping with sarcasm

One has nothing to do with the other, and it's 100% fine.

All things being equal; since women use a smaller ball, however play with the same circumference rim as men, would women be in favor of playing with a rim that proportionately equates to the same ratio as the men? Asking for a friend. ;)

What's his total if he played against black people in the SEC in 1970? 1970!!!!

Anyways, This argument is so dumb. Both are legendary players.

I'll say it: Pete didn't play against women. Might as well put it all on the table. I agree the comparison isn't really relevant.

"many dispute the degree to which the contrast should play into Clark’s recognition."

Here's a relevant point for you - anyone who thinks Clark or any female athlete deserves less recognition bc they are not as good as their male counterparts is an idiot.
That is a relevant opinion. Also an ad hominem attack on those who might disagree with you. Here’s the truth. It has nothing to do with “deserving”. It has to do with the respective interest and attention each draws. Who is the all time leading scorer for girls HS in New York? No matter how much you decry the injustice, in 20 years more people will remember Maravich than Clark.

That is a relevant opinion. Also an ad hominem attack on those who might disagree with you. Here’s the truth. It has nothing to do with “deserving”. It has to do with the respective interest and attention each draws. Who is the all time leading scorer for girls HS in New York? No matter how much you decry the injustice, in 20 years more people will remember Maravich than Clark.
I would guess the numbers of players on the current Syracuse team who know who Pete Maravich is would be 0. But ok.

Not taking anything away from his greatness...just...time moves on.

I would guess the numbers of players on the current Syracuse team who know who Pete Maravich is would be 0. But ok.

Not taking anything away from his greatness...just...time moves on.
How many know whose record Clark broke?

My goodness. If you are arguing that men's sports are more popular than women's sports I agree with you. If you are arguing that female athletes accomplishments are less impressive than their male counterparts, that is idiotic. Completely and utterly idiotic.

Ummm...KELSEY PLUM? I'm guessing most of the players on team?

I would highly doubt any of the players on the team know who Kelsey Plumb is (or knew prior to her being mentioned alongside Caitlyn Clark). I just don’t know of any teenage boys plugged in to women’s sports. They might not know Maravich either, but I’d bet they’ve at least heard his name before. At the very least, he’s more relevant to them in their sport than Plum would be.

Which is not to say women don’t deserve recognition for their athletic accomplishments. They obviously do.

I don’t know who the all time goals leader is in soccer. That doesn’t take away from that dude’s accomplishment.

I would highly doubt any of the players on the team know who Kelsey Plumb is (or knew prior to her being mentioned alongside Caitlyn Clark). I just don’t know of any teenage boys plugged in to women’s sports. They might not know Maravich either, but I’d bet they’ve at least heard his name before. At the very least, he’s more relevant to them in their sport than Plum would be.

Which is not to say women don’t deserve recognition for their athletic accomplishments. They obviously do.

I don’t know who the all time goals leader is in soccer. That doesn’t take away from that dude’s accomplishment.
Yes a large portion of teenage boys are not likely plugged into women’s sports, but most of them know who Caitlin Clark is. Another nod to how GREAT she is.

Yes a large portion of teenage boys are not likely plugged into women’s sports, but most of them know who Caitlin Clark is. Another nod to how GREAT she is.
Kelsey Plum has 850k instagram followers

I’m assuming none are among the 50-80 year old crew we got here

Ummm...KELSEY PLUM? I'm guessing most of the players on team?

My goodness. If you are arguing that men's sports are more popular than women's sports I agree with you. If you are arguing that female athletes accomplishments are less impressive than their male counterparts, that is idiotic. Completely and utterly idiotic.
Slick! You changed the key word from “recognition” to “impressive”. Sleight of word, but not really honest debate.

Slick! You changed the key word from “recognition” to “impressive”. Sleight of word, but not really honest debate.
So you don't contend that female athletes accomplishments are less impressive, just that they are less deserving of recognition. Got it. Makes complete sense.

So you don't contend that female athletes accomplishments are less impressive, just that they are less deserving of recognition. Got it. Makes complete sense.
Did I say that? I thought I offered an explanation for why they RECEIVED less recognition? If I misspoke, well that’s on me. If you twisted my meaning, well that’s on you.

Did I say that? I thought I offered an explanation for why they RECEIVED less recognition? If I misspoke, well that’s on me. If you twisted my meaning, well that’s on you.
So after all of this...you agree that star female athletes' accomplishments are just as impressive and just as deserving of recognition as their male counterparts. Nice.

I didn’t say that either. I never addressed my belief relative to whether the accomplishment was just as deserving of recognition. I think your reading comprehension skills may not be peak? Read back over the exchange, correct your work, and have on my desk by the end of the week.

here's my issue. stop mentioning Pete Maravich. they played an entirely different sport. no comparison.
caitlin clark as good ( no great) as she is in the sport of Women's Basketball would not see court time for a men's team. all time Women's scorer fine. great accomplishment. but she wouldn't see the court in the men's game .or if she did she'd be an asterisk. kyle cuffe would score 40 a night easily playing women. so let's call it what it is . all time Women's bball scoring leader. leave pistol pete out of it.
She’d play better defense than JJ.

If I were an NBA exec, I'd take her with my last pick in the draft. Talk about being inclusive, let her make the team and hope she pops a three someday.
You’d print money doing this.

I agree, but Kyle Cuffe scoring 40? He would average a LOT more than that. Who stops him? At all? I don’t want to put a number on it. Your average men’s league player puts up 40.
Who stops Clark in a men’s league game?

Status
Not open for further replies.