OT: Miracle on ice Eruziones goal - never saw this one | Syracusefan.com

OT: Miracle on ice Eruziones goal - never saw this one

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
I was a kid when this game was played. What Carter described as a crisis of confidence was very real to me - the company my father owned was struggling, and my mother had fallen and injured her back and was bed-riden. For some reason the most vivid (and frankly almost the only) memory I have from then is of my father making us powdered milk to drink and realizing things had to be tough since we couldn't even afford "real" milk.

The 1980 Olympics was a godsend, since it was a total diversion from a grim reality. We'd moved the TV into my parent's bedroom since my mother was stuck there, so we all gathered around on chairs and on the bed to watch Eric Heiden and the hockey games. The last ten minutes of the US-USSR hockey game (after what was ultimately the game winning goal had been scored) I could barely breathe, and the explosion of joyous celebration in the bedroom as the clock struck zero is one of my happiest childhood memories.

Nelson Mandela gave a speech about sports once in which he said: "It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair." I know exactly what he was talking about; I lived it. (My immediate thoughts after the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup was that there were now a lot of people in Japan that were having the same experience I'd had 30 years earlier). The health of both my mother and my father's business improved dramatically in the early 80's - so much that the dark days of the late 70's almost feel like something I read about once or someone else's life entirely - but I know the memories, however faint, are real.

Part of why I follow sports to this day is because I want to feel something approximating the intense joy I felt when the US beat the Soviets in 1980; one of my biggest fears is that years have layered on so much cynicism that I'd no longer be able to regardless of circumstances or events. I am probably alone in this, but part of my experience of the 2003 National Championship is of disappointment, because after the game was over I was wondering why I didn't feel better, more like I did after the Miracle on Ice. But then I see highlights of the Miracle on Ice, 30 years melt away and I feel like a kid again...and when the clock hits zero it feels great because I know I STILL believe in miracles. Thanks for posting these videos, I enjoyed them a lot -

Great read. Whenever I see clips of this and/or watch the movie I sill get goosebumps.

I'm 56 yrs old, and the gold medal game was and is my all-time favorite sports moment. I got goosebumps walking into the arena in Lake Placid twenty years after the event. Amazed at how small the arena seemed, to house an event that turned out so huge. Also, remember that the match occurred live in the afternoon, to be shown on tv that night, and in the days before cable tv and internet, I had no info as to the result before the it started, would never be like that today

Was watching in Moscow - this was about a year before we were finally allowed to emigrate. The Soviets simply chose not to show the end of the game on TV. The American celebration would've been too offensive to "the people". But plenty of us were celebrating nonetheless.

I went to the US-Czech game in Lake Placid. The US won something like 7-3. It was an impressive performance but no one had any idea that just a few days later that the US would beat the Russies. Many great memories from that time. Still have my ticket from the game.

I was a kid when this game was played. What Carter described as a crisis of confidence was very real to me - the company my father owned was struggling, and my mother had fallen and injured her back and was bed-riden. For some reason the most vivid (and frankly almost the only) memory I have from then is of my father making us powdered milk to drink and realizing things had to be tough since we couldn't even afford "real" milk.

The 1980 Olympics was a godsend, since it was a total diversion from a grim reality. We'd moved the TV into my parent's bedroom since my mother was stuck there, so we all gathered around on chairs and on the bed to watch Eric Heiden and the hockey games. The last ten minutes of the US-USSR hockey game (after what was ultimately the game winning goal had been scored) I could barely breathe, and the explosion of joyous celebration in the bedroom as the clock struck zero is one of my happiest childhood memories.

Nelson Mandela gave a speech about sports once in which he said: "It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair." I know exactly what he was talking about; I lived it. (My immediate thoughts after the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup was that there were now a lot of people in Japan that were having the same experience I'd had 30 years earlier). The health of both my mother and my father's business improved dramatically in the early 80's - so much that the dark days of the late 70's almost feel like something I read about once or someone else's life entirely - but I know the memories, however faint, are real.

Part of why I follow sports to this day is because I want to feel something approximating the intense joy I felt when the US beat the Soviets in 1980; one of my biggest fears is that years have layered on so much cynicism that I'd no longer be able to regardless of circumstances or events. I am probably alone in this, but part of my experience of the 2003 National Championship is of disappointment, because after the game was over I was wondering why I didn't feel better, more like I did after the Miracle on Ice. But then I see highlights of the Miracle on Ice, 30 years melt away and I feel like a kid again...and when the clock hits zero it feels great because I know I STILL believe in miracles. Thanks for posting these videos, I enjoyed them a lot -
wow man, its hard to put into words my reaction to your story. It is why I spend so much time on these boards.

And it's a testament to the earth shaking event it was for so many of us and how it engenders such rich emotional reactions for all of us it seems. As it was on tape delay, and being a hockey nut and player at the time I was fully in tune during the game what was up. When a while later that night I went to my WGHS buds bball game I was the only one who knew what hapened and was telling everyone who'd listen. NO ONE believed me and there was no way to verify it easily.

Finally someone in power did and they relayed it the the PA announcer whereby they announced it to the crowd. I'll never ever forget the reaction of shock followed by triumphant sustained standing ovation. Seen nothing like it before or since. Still doesn't hold a candle to what you shared as for being "real". Wow, thanks for sharing that.

EDIT and addendum later on: Out to lunch with family and friends and took my ipad and read your post to them. All 8 of them were quiet as a mouse, moved and blown away by your story. As for your reaction to the 2003 NC you'd be interested to know you were'nt the only one who had a reaction that wasn't to the degree of euphoria I thought it would be, and rather, it was more a sense of relief I guess that we and JB finally did it (vs. this which was so unexpected).

I know it'll sound nuts but my most euphoric reaction in a long long time was the Mizzou game watching Lemon trot into the end zone. Huge moment for the program and represenative of the tangible reality of a program on the bounce back. Nothing like 1980 of course but theres been nothing like that before or since I don't think and can't imagine anything topping that......we'll maybe a repeat NC here in football might do the trick because that has about as much chance as the US beating the Russians...:)

I went to the US-Czech game in Lake Placid. The US won something like 7-3. It was an impressive performance but no one had any idea that just a few days later that the US would beat the Russies. Many great memories from that time. Still have my ticket from the game.
your kidding you were in Lake Placid during the '80 Olympics? Very cool. Need to hear more. We're you there the whole time including when this game was played? I heard the reaction in the streets especially right after, but also for hrs later was pretty wild.

I grew up playing hockey. I was 9 years old when this game was played and without a doubt that was the trigger that lit the fuse in making sports such an important part of my life. I remember actually crying when we won.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

your kidding you were in Lake Placid during the '80 Olympics? Very cool. Need to here more. We're you there the whole time including when this game was played? I heard the reaction in the streets especially right after, but also for hrs later was pretty wild.

I was going to college and working at the Boston Globe at the time. Went up to the Olympics with some Globe friends and stayed at a house the Globe rented in Lake Placid. We went back to Boston before the Russie game but I was working at the Globe the day of the Russie win. One of my colleagues at the Globe was asked to write the local sidebar after the game since many of the US players were from the Boston area. It was big story nationally but it was HUGE in Boston. I'll never forget the whole experience.

My gf's dad and her brother were at the game. At least that's what she says--still don't believe her. :)

It's America's greatest sporting triumph partly because it can never be duplicated. The U.S. winning a World Cup in soccer would be a similar level of awesomeness because it would have the "David v Goliath" storyline and be totally unlikely. But you can't get around the fact the 1980 hockey team was made up of college kids playing against professionals.

One thing I've found odd about the Miracle on Ice is no one has written a great book about it yet. There was one book about 10 years ago - I believe it was called "The Boys of Winter" - about the players and the game. It was OK but formulaic. No one has put together a complete well-written book about the players, the game, the international context and great stories like the one CuseFan95 wrote. Not sure why because there have been movies and a great ESPN documentary.

I grew up playing hockey. I was 9 years old when this game was played and without a doubt that was the trigger that lit the fuse in making sports such an important part of my life. I remember actually crying when we won.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Yeah I hear ya, check this one out I found that may do it all over again. It's an extended version of the first one that's 10 min long covering the significant points in the game with the same announcer (Curt Chaplin) who covered the game for the ABC radio network. It apparently was hidden away some where and was unearthed several years back.

Check it out it's almost like watching it all over again for the first time...listen to the emotion in his call not only for the eruzione goal but several other points, most especially as the clock hits zero. omg, freaking awesome stuff.

edit: for some reason it's not linking right here. To see it go to you tube and type in the search spot there "Miracle on ice, newly discovered original live call"

check this one out I found that may do it all over again. It's an extended version of the first one that's 10 min long covering the significant points in the game with the same announcer (Curt Chaplin) who covered the game for the ABC radio network. It apparently was hidden away some where and was unearthed several years back.

Check it out it's almost like watching it all over again for the first time...listen to the emotion in his call not only for the eruzione goal but several other points, most especially as the clock hits zero. omg, freaking awesome stuff.

edit: for some reason it's not linking right here. To see it go to you tube and type in the search spot there "Miracle on ice, newly discovered original live call"

That is awesome!

My wife and I took a trip to Lake Placid in 2009 and had these passport passes that got us access to all the olympic stuff. Well we took a tour of the Olympic center and it was given by a guy named James Rogers. He was one of the people who was responsible for the olympics actually happening in Lake Placid. Very influential person and is in the Lake Placid hall of fame.

Well we were the only people who took the tour so this guy gave us the VIP tour supreme. Took us into areas where I never thought I would be in and areas that were so not on the tour. Hall of fame room, locker rooms, saw memorabilia and actually got to wear an olympic gold medal that was donated by a hockey player. It was probably one of the top 5 sports moments of my life as he spent about 3 hours with us. (it was a one hour tour) I walked away literally numb. The stories he told us and moments this guy relived literally made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

That is awesome!

My wife and I took a trip to Lake Placid in 2009 and had these passport passes that got us access to all the olympic stuff. Well we took a tour of the Olympic center and it was given by a guy named James Rogers. He was one of the people who was responsible for the olympics actually happening in Lake Placid. Very influential person and is in the Lake Placid hall of fame.

Well we were the only people who took the tour so this guy gave us the VIP tour supreme. Took us into areas where I never thought I would be in and areas that were so not on the tour. Hall of fame room, locker rooms, saw memorabilia and actually got to wear an olympic gold medal that was donated by a hockey player. It was probably one of the top 5 sports moments of my life as he spent about 3 hours with us. (it was a one hour tour) I walked away literally numb. The stories he told us and moments this guy relived literally made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
One of my best friends lives in adjacent Saranac lake and was/is a big hockey guy. Similarly he go us into the arena in all areas and it was an amazing experience, but to hear stories from a first hand guy like that, well that had to be over the top cool.

One last one: a 9 min 2010 documentary piece on it with players, the referee, and people at the game.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=X6AwDJm4nsA

It's America's greatest sporting triumph partly because it can never be duplicated. The U.S. winning a World Cup in soccer would be a similar level of awesomeness because it would have the "David v Goliath" storyline and be totally unlikely. But you can't get around the fact the 1980 hockey team was made up of college kids playing against professionals.

One thing I've found odd about the Miracle on Ice is no one has written a great book about it yet. There was one book about 10 years ago - I believe it was called "The Boys of Winter" - about the players and the game. It was OK but formulaic. No one has put together a complete well-written book about the players, the game, the international context and great stories like the one CuseFan95 wrote. Not sure why because there have been movies and a great ESPN documentary.
if someone does end up writing about it a cool angle would be to get the input from this ABC radio guy whose spots are in this thread. really cannot believe theres a new part to the whole amazing story.

For some reason the most vivid (and frankly almost the only) memory I have from then is of my father making us powdered milk to drink and realizing things had to be tough since we couldn't even afford "real" milk.
My family went through that exact thing with the powdered milk.

Corny to say, but I think it built character as a kid to see how hard my parents were trying and that it was still a struggle. It's something I've tried to look back on as I've considered where my wife and I started in our marriage and the type of financial position we've been in now that we've had a child. I'd like to think my parent's (and grandparent's) sacrifices and struggles are providing generational benefits.

Btw, Kharlamov - the best Soviet player at the time - was killed in a motorcycle accident shortly thereafter. Their hockey was never the same since. Especially after the mass exodus.

Was watching in Moscow - this was about a year before we were finally allowed to emigrate. The Soviets simply chose not to show the end of the game on TV. The American celebration would've been too offensive to "the people". But plenty of us were celebrating nonetheless.

Wow

If you're looking for a great background article, the below will link you to 1980 Sportsmen of the Year from SI about the Miracle on Ice. Not quite a book but very well written...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1124069/index.htm
great article, thanks. I've saved 3 SI's over the years. That one, the one when they beat the Ruskies with only the picture on the cover and the 2003 NC one.

In that article the line that struck me the most was where it says Brooks was allowing the team to celebrate on their own not wanting to intrude on THEIR moment and as a result was more or less wandering in the hallways where all "the State Troopers where standing around and crying". Seriously? Wow. Theres been a lot of wows in this thread not the least of which was Yegoranges story from Yugoslavia.

My 3 year old has the Disney Cinderella DVD and one of the "extras" is a short documentary about this game and Villanova beating Georgetown. Funny in that it is so random that any kid who would watch Cinderella would actually care and that as a kid myself I viewed the USSR and Georgetown as exactly the same thing: looming, all-encompassing, evil enemies.

And it wasn't just "professionals". The Red Army team was arguably the best pro team in the world at the time. I recently saw a documentary about that team - they were amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom