OT-MNF Damar Hamlin emergency | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

OT-MNF Damar Hamlin emergency

Upstate is same. Actually it sounds like the Cincy Hospital he went to was about as close as Upstate is to the Dome.
Its not as close but likely quicker to get to. Hop on interstate and its a quick ride after that. What is puzzling to me is that they went to UC and not Christ Hospital which is the premier heart hospital in the region and a little closer to the stadium. Similar to "the Hill", there are about 7 hospitals on "Pill Hill" in Clifton by the University. The whole "level one trauma" center should go out the window if they knew it was heart related. ER and general "critical care" UC is great but the real heart pros work at Christ. I've been there done that to the point I ended up at Cleveland Clinic where the best of the best are at. I have no doubt that if I had been sent to UC I would not be here today. My wife had to fight the ambulance to take me to Christ as they thought I had the flu (she's a nurse and knew better). My guess is the NFL insists on the "level one trauma" center for legal cya reasons. I'm sure the difference in quality of care is negligible but why mess around when you're dealing with a heart.

Its not as close but likely quicker to get to. Hop on interstate and its a quick ride after that. What is puzzling to me is that they went to UC and not Christ Hospital which is the premier heart hospital in the region and a little closer to the stadium. Similar to "the Hill", there are about 7 hospitals on "Pill Hill" in Clifton by the University. The whole "level one trauma" center should go out the window if they knew it was heart related. ER and general "critical care" UC is great but the real heart pros work at Christ. I've been there done that to the point I ended up at Cleveland Clinic where the best of the best are at. I have no doubt that if I had been sent to UC I would not be here today. My wife had to fight the ambulance to take me to Christ as they thought I had the flu (she's a nurse and knew better). My guess is the NFL insists on the "level one trauma" center for legal cya reasons. I'm sure the difference in quality of care is negligible but why mess around when you're dealing with a heart.
Going to gather this is the hospital the Bengals work with. Each home team has a trauma center on standby whenever an NFL game is going on usually for concussion or spinal cord injuries. This came right from Dr. David Chao who’s a former team physician.

so the fact that the 5 min thing seems to have been completely made up? sounds like they were all just kinda wondering around wondering what to do..
Do you think Joe buck just made it up? Give me a break

listen to Troy Vincent say Frankly a hundred times and tell me you believe him

There are so many heart related issues that most people dont know they have. I have no idea what happened to him and have no medical background whatsoever but sometimes this crap happens for a reason. It happened to me. (and I am certainly not comparing this to what happened to me). Summer of 2020 I came down with a severe case of Lyme disease. Was bedridden and it went undetected for weeks. When I finally was tested it had gone so long that it affected my heart. My heart stopped "firing" normally and it resulted in me having to get a pacemaker to fix that issue. I was pretty upset and had a million questions as to why this happened, could it have been prevented had I been tested earlier, did someone drop the ball ,etc.

Fast forward to post surgery and my now cardiologist tells me that after this whole ordeal they found an aortic aneurysm that I had no clue I had that if it wasn't detected probably someday would have killed me in a NY minute. My point is sometimes this stuff happens for a reason and maybe this was his reason and maybe there was some underlying condition that ultimately will save this kids life.

Thoughts and prayers are with his family.
similar story. Though I don't think this will result in an undiscovered condition in this situation with Damar, sharing stories as we are can motivate others to go get checked out with a regular annual physical and then when the circumstances make sense to do it (family history or other individual personal medical history to get an early colonoscopy or early heart eval., etc.), also get advanced testing done.

Whatever the version of the coronavirus was 25 years ago, I got it, got it bad as a general flu and then it got serious serious involving the heart with a condition called pericarditis. I shared the story here back then. Landed in the hospital for a while, me at age 35 along with a bunch of people in their 60's and up with more "routine" heart problems, heart attacks and the like. Obviously sucked and happily mostly recovered (mostly), but the upside is what with all the advanced heart testing they do that they'd never otherwise do with a "healthy" person, subsequently in follow up evals they also found with me an upper/ascending aortic aneurysm (vs the lower abdominal aorta) that they've watched every 6-12 months for many years now, maybe maybe not related to the pericarditis they say.

Lucky for me its been a slow grower barely moving, but as you know at a certain point it's time to get a proactive surgery before a rupture can occur (5.5 cm for this one and I've been at 4.8cm for a while now), because once they do rupture survivabilty chances aren't good at all(think John Ritter at a young age).

Anyway point being here if anyone has a family history, has a history of a lot of exertional activities like a long weight lifting history, any weird one off heart issue like I had, go get checked out as it literally can be a life saver. In the case of the abdominal aorta just getting a simple x-ray of the lower back is enough, of which I send people for regularly and now after 30+ years can no longer count on my two hands how many I've had to send for further eval. and management when I find this.

Glad you're Ok, glad I'm ok, hope we're both Ok for the long haul and also hope and pray that this buffalo kid has a complete recovery and gets to live a long normal life with or without a return to football.

Last edited:
The 5 minute thing may not have come from the NFL office but rather people in charge in some capacity on site. However, it seemed to me watching last night that most of the players were not going to play. I would think the NFL might have had to clear some of these decisions through the players Union anyways.

I don't think the announcers made it up nor do I believe it came from the front office.

Sportscenter saying we likely won't hear an update for at least 24 hrs on Hamlin because it's likely they have him sedated and being cooled in order to preserve brain function and that they will likely start to wake him up after 24 hours and see what his brain function etc is

Sportscenter saying we likely won't hear an update for at least 24 hrs on Hamlin because it's likely they have him sedated and being cooled in order to preserve brain function and that they will likely start to wake him up after 24 hours and see what his brain function etc is
Absolutely incredible that there are medical pros and doctors doing life saving work like this, and others that can’t even put their grocery carts away or read frozen dinner instructions, and everything in between.

All considered the same species, too.

Does anyone else just kind of feel weird right now?

Despite last night's horrific event, I still really want the Bills to win the Super Bowl (no sense in pretending I don't). But every time I have a thought in my head like "hmm I wonder what will happen with that game since home-field advantage is at stake" I circle back to feeling like a POS because that shouldn't matter when a human life is hanging in the balance. Like I'm trying to force myself not to care about football, but it's hard because I still do.

Despite last night's horrific event, I still really want the Bills to win the Super Bowl (no sense in pretending I don't). But every time I have a thought in my head like "hmm I wonder what will happen with that game since home-field advantage is at stake" I circle back to feeling like a POS because that shouldn't matter when a human life is hanging in the balance. Like I'm trying to force myself not to care about football, but it's hard because I still do.
I mean yeah I of course want to win the SB but definitely don't really care that much at the moment. The other (extremely insignificant in grand scheme OBVIOUSLY) item that will eventually need to be figured out is fantasy football implications. This was the finals week. I know I have 2 leagues that were still undecided. Right now, irrelevant.

Absolutely incredible that there are medical pros and doctors doing life saving work like this, and others that can’t even put their grocery carts away or read frozen dinner instructions, and everything in between.

What do you call a person who graduated last in their class in med school?

Doctor.

Yep...We've seen sports join us all together after events like 9/11. Locally, Syracuse winning in '03 right as the war in Iraq started is another one that I was thinking of this AM.

But this feels, and is, different. The players are directly impacted infinitely times more than the fans. The players are usually are the ones with the "show must go on" mentality.

I think on this one, the NFL and the fans just need need to give this the proper time. I don't have an answer obviously, but if it takes weeks or whatever extreme outcome occurs, I think all we can do is accept it and hope for the best for everyone.

The league is in the refs ears two seconds after every bad call. But this time they couldn't say, hold up

And they have no way to tell Joe buck who said it four times

Come on

Yea those guys in the officials ears are rules types. Not the commissioner, VP, Troy Vincent and NFLPA.

The game has further reaching implications than just home-field advantage… many players have performance/incentive bonuses in their contracts that could be significantly impacted. So this creates a terrible mess that shouldn’t be important, but ultimately is.

I think what was most shocking to me last night that has remained was the raw emotion on all the players' faces.

I've obviously seen previous stuff happen on the field of play that have been bad, but this seemed raw to the point of arresting my usual stream of thought (that would obviously be worried about the player, what's happening next, etc).

This was more than 'I know bad things can happen during sporting events' and ventured into 'jim carrey realizing he was in a pretend life in The Truman Show' type level, ya know?

Like you, I'll still watch football... but this was one of those "I feel like I'm going to remember where I was when this happened" moments. It really broke the facade for me more than usual. It's almost like I feel like I'm grandfathered in to enjoying football like I had older family members watching/enjoying boxing no matter what they would see in the ring (they grew up with it being one of the biggest sports in America).

I know some doctors who probably don't put their grocery carts away. I also know some that probably can't prepare a frozen dinner, but are really good at what they do and probably do put their grocery carts away. Just FWIW.

I know some doctors who probably don't put their grocery carts away. I also know some that probably can't prepare a frozen dinner, but are really good at what they do and probably do put their grocery carts away. Just FWIW.
Agree. And every combination imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom