OT: Mo’ne Davis | Syracusefan.com

OT: Mo’ne Davis

Fireball Jr.

All American
Now, this is a cover girl! Love it! Youngest person on the cover of SI since LeBron was a high school junior?

image001.jpg

More impressive off the field. Poised, articulate, grateful, intelligent and gracious.
Exactly. As great as she is on the mound, she's equally, or more, impressive in front of the camera. Unbelievable poise and confidence for a 13-year-old suddenly thrust into the global spotlight.

Fireball Jr. said:
Exactly. As great as she is on the mound, she's equally, or more, impressive in front of the camera. Unbelievable poise and confidence for a 13-year-old suddenly thrust into the global spotlight.
YouTube Video

She's definitely more mature than I am. With so much depressing news in the world, it's great to have such a positive and uplifting story.

can somebody explain to me how 13 year olds get to play LL??

i thought it was 9-12 and if you turned 13 in the year you 'played' 12, it had to be after Oct or something.

can somebody explain to me how 13 year olds get to play LL??

i thought it was 9-12 and if you turned 13 in the year you 'played' 12, it had to be after Oct or something.
If your birthday is after May 1st, you can be eligible for LLWS as a 13 year old. All of these 13 year olds had their birthdays after the LL seasons ended and occur during LL state, regional, world series games.

From Wikipedia: In 2006, the age limit was changed such that players could turn 13 after May 1, not August 1, as had previously been the case. As the series takes place in August, many of the players have already turned 13 before the World Series.

If your birthday is after May 1st, you can be eligible for LLWS as a 13 year old. All of these 13 year olds had their birthdays after the LL seasons ended and occur during LL state, regional, world series games.
interesting.

no wonder the level of play seems to have increased. these are kids who likely have finished the 7th grade, not the just the 6th.

i got a boy born in june, so he gets that 'extra' year, where i was and still would now under these rules... moved up to the 'Babe Ruth' league.

interesting.

no wonder the level of play seems to have increased. these are kids who likely have finished the 7th grade, not the just the 6th.

i got a boy born in june, so he gets that 'extra' year, where i was and still would now under these rules... moved up to the 'Babe Ruth' league.

I suppose that could be part of the reason for an increased level of play, the oldest kids are technically 3 months older than the oldest kids were 10 years ago. (the change from a July 31 to an April 30 cutoff date occurred in 2005).

Personally I think the bigger reason for the increased level of play is more about the approach to the activity; (i) a huge percentage of these kids are playing year around, (ii) all of the better kids participate on multiple teams, (iii) many are participating in indoor workouts throughout the winter, (iv) many are getting professional academy training between team practices and in the offseason, (v) coaches are using professional techniques to train the kids e.g. using video analysis of their swings, (vi) Easton, DeMarini and others keep engineering better bats.

This season's 12 year olds had birthdays that occurred between 5/1/2001 and 4/30/2002. The kid born in May is going to have some advantage over the kid born in April competing with or against him. But ultimately I am not sure its any different than if the cutoff were still 7/31, the advantage would just fall to kids born in August rather than to those born in May. I guess people get funny about it because they're still called 12 year olds even though some have turned 13. But does it really make a difference, its kids whose birthday are before a particular date playing??

I suppose that could be part of the reason for an increased level of play, the oldest kids are technically 3 months older than the oldest kids were 10 years ago. (the change from a July 31 to an April 30 cutoff date occurred in 2005).

Personally I think the bigger reason for the increased level of play is more about the approach to the activity; (i) a huge percentage of these kids are playing year around, (ii) all of the better kids participate on multiple teams, (iii) many are participating in indoor workouts throughout the winter, (iv) many are getting professional academy training between team practices and in the offseason, (v) coaches are using professional techniques to train the kids e.g. using video analysis of their swings, (vi) Easton, DeMarini and others keep engineering better bats.

This season's 12 year olds had birthdays that occurred between 5/1/2001 and 4/30/2002. The kid born in May is going to have some advantage over the kid born in April competing with or against him. But ultimately I am not sure its any different than if the cutoff were still 7/31, the advantage would just fall to kids born in August rather than to those born in May. I guess people get funny about it because they're still called 12 year olds even though some have turned 13. But does it really make a difference, its kids whose birthday are before a particular date playing??
i think it makes a huge difference maturity and body wise.

i dont think most 6th graders are able to do the things most 7th graders can do.

And you could have a kid, who just played for his junior high team, on a regulation field, now back playing with kids on a puny diamond.

That's a huge advantage.

i think it makes a huge difference maturity and body wise.

i dont think most 6th graders are able to do the things most 7th graders can do.

And you could have a kid, who just played for his junior high team, on a regulation field, now back playing with kids on a puny diamond.

That's a huge advantage.

Exactly, huge jump from little league to regulation, I remember one hopping every throw from home to second base as a catcher, no one was confusing me with pudge Rodriguez as a 13 year old catcher. Then you get pulled up and are playing with 14-15 year old kids. I can say that I caught for a future major league pitcher when I was 13 though! That was a brutal year, tough transition

It's a travesty that she can't make money off her celebrity right now lest she give up any youth and high school and NCAA sports career.
no doubt ESPN made a good buck off of her celebrity but then again she wouldn't be a celebrity if not for ESPN. Double edged sword

Wow - I was 13 the first three months of my freshman year of high school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom