OT - My dinner with President Obama | Syracusefan.com

OT - My dinner with President Obama

NYCSUGrad

All Conference
Yes you read that correctly. Yesterday I was privileged to spend about 45 minutes conversing with the President of the USA. How did this happen? I sent $5 to the DSCC and from25,000 entries was one of two winners. The president could not have been more down to earth or friendlier. He had brief bios of the four of us, asked us questions and answered ours. There were so many highlights it's hard to know where to begin, but one that stands out was his first night in NYC, when his sublet was unavailable and he couldn't reach a friend, and slept in the alley.

There are no selfies, but there was an official photographer, so at some point I should have pictures to share. I did get two or three hugs, as did the other women, and the man, a veteran, was handed a special commemorative coin. Suffice it to say it was the most outstanding day of my life and is unlikely to be topped.

Yes you read that correctly. Yesterday I was privileged to spend about 45 minutes conversing with the President of the USA. How did this happen? I sent $5 to the DSCC and from25,000 entries was one of two winners. The president could not have been more down to earth or friendlier. He had brief bios of the four of us, asked us questions and answered ours. There were so many highlights it's hard to know where to begin, but one that stands out was his first night in NYC, when his sublet was unavailable and he couldn't reach a friend, and slept in the alley.

There are no selfies, but there was an official photographer, so at some point I should have pictures to share. I did get two or three hugs, as did the other women, and the man, a veteran, was handed a special commemorative coin. Suffice it to say it was the most outstanding day of my life and is unlikely to be topped.

Whether you agree or disagree with his politics, Obama certainly seems like a cool guy to be around. And I think you could say that about most Presidents - you can't get to that level without having a magnetic and dynamic personality.

Crusty said:
Alyce didn't tell me it was only $5!! Did you tell him you went to HS with Kagan?

I did, Crusty.

Very... Cool

She will be too modest to tell you but she graduated with Associate Justice Elena Kagan. She now has two of the three branches of government covered. Who's next House or Senate?

Crusty said:
She will be too modest to tell you but she graduated with Associate Justice Elena Kagan. She now has two of the three branches of government covered. Who's next House or Senate?

Lol Crusty I was praying my college roommate Donald Williams, who just resigned from the position of president of the Connecticut state senate, (not due to a scandal!). would run for Joe Lieberman's seat but he didn't.

dasher said:
Did the Secret Service bother to attend?

Um, I really can't comment on that. They were there.

That's freakin' awesome.

I'd probably end up annoying any president with questions about conspiracies.

fox-mulder-profile.jpg

cto said:
Great story. Where was the dinner held? I sent a few bucks to the ornithological lab at Cornell... and I didn't even get to meet a snowy owl.

CTO the dinner was at Joe's, a very swanky steak and seafood restaurant two blocks from our hotel. We were told to order anything we wanted, as dinner was on the President. I wasn't about to drink before I met him so stuck with seltzer. As for the food, I've been a vegetarian since age 12, now vegan, but they made me some sort of exotic broiled fruit as an appetizer and a cauliflower dish as a main course. But food was the last thing on my mind. My companion and the other couple enjoyed the seafood specialties, especially the stone crab and king crab legs. But they made sure to eat those after the president had departed as eating those is indeed a messy task! He did not eat but stuck with a cup of tea. It was a very early hour, perhaps 4:30 we started, and he was headed to Chicago right after, so probably ate on the plane.

I did allow myself a Cosmo afterward.

Also for those who don't know I do stand up comedy. The president was aware of that, but he did not ask for a joke and I did not volunteer one, though I had one ready if he had asked.

And no this whole thread is not one giant "bit"!

Liar -- you just jumped the fence at 1600 PA didn't you?

Just Kidding -- that's one of the greatest things that an American can do... dinner with the most powerful person in the world. That is UNREAL!!! You may have even one-upped CTO!

CTO the dinner was at Joe's, a very swanky steak and seafood restaurant two blocks from our hotel. We were told to order anything we wanted, as dinner was on the President. I wasn't about to drink before I met him so stuck with seltzer. As for the food, I've been a vegetarian since age 12, now vegan, but they made me some sort of exotic broiled fruit as an appetizer and a cauliflower dish as a main course. But food was the last thing on my mind. My companion and the other couple enjoyed the seafood specialties, especially the stone crab and king crab legs. But they made sure to eat those after the president had departed as eating those is indeed a messy task! He did not eat but stuck with a cup of tea. It was a very early hour, perhaps 4:30 we started, and he was headed to Chicago right after, so probably ate on the plane.

I did allow myself a Cosmo afterward.

Also for those who don't know I do stand up comedy. The president was aware of that, but he did not ask for a joke and I did not volunteer one, though I had one ready if he had asked.

And no this whole thread is not one giant "bit"!
I'm in awe of you. Of this dinner. The stand up. Everything.

Great story. Where was the dinner held? I sent a few bucks to the ornithological lab at Cornell... and I didn't even get to meet a snowy owl.
They were probably afraid that you'd try to put an Otto hat on the bird.

Liar -- you just jumped the fence at 1600 PA didn't you?

Just Kidding -- that's one of the greatest things that an American can do... dinner with the most powerful person in the world. That is UNREAL!!! You may have even one-upped CTO!
But ... how do you know that I have NOT had dinner with a President?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom