Class of 2016 - OT Sam Heckel (WI) SIGNED LOI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OT Sam Heckel (WI) SIGNED LOI

Ok perfect. Agreed then that we take 2 hybrid slot guys.

what do you guys define as the 2 hybrids? Is H-back considered a hybrid to you? I also think we take at least 1 more WR maybe 2.

No. Probably either 1WR or QB...but not both. And Hybrid would be where you would get the additional WR.

Yeah would not be surprised if it's Heckel. Great pick up if it is

Kastenhuber, Heckel, Simon, and the last spot is up in the air for me. Since Riggins is visiting today maybe him, but Dymelle Parker is also out there ready to decide at any time.

Good guess!

Absolutely perplexing. There's only one OL spot open, and we have another OL circling a decision (Chase Behrndt). Heckel just lost his spot at Northwestern because of the exact same situation. I'm surprised he's risking letting the same thing happen again, to be honest.

Absolutely perplexing. There's only one OL spot open, and we have another OL circling a decision (Chase Behrndt). Heckel just lost his spot at Northwestern because of the exact same situation. I'm surprised he's risking letting the same thing happen again, to be honest.

Or the staff is telling him he has to wait.

Maybe it's not his choice. Could it be a conditional offer?

Maybe it's not his choice. Could it be a conditional offer?
And Maybe he just wants to make sure he makes the right choice instead of rushing to make his decision?

That's all well and good, and I don't want kids to rush into decisions either if they aren't sure. Just saying, my understanding is that his offer is committable at any time, and he just lost a spot at Northwestern because he waited. I just don't want to see the kid have the same thing happen to him.

According to TOS, he wants to take a week or so and decide between SU and Northern Illinois. I'm guessing distance may be playing a factor in the decision, but that may be reading something between the lines that isn't really there.

Last edited:

Free Article...

Three-star Waukesha (Wisc.) West offensive guard Sam Heckel jumped onto the Syracuse radar over the last few weeks and the two sides quickly scheduled a visit. During the trip, he picked up an offer from the Orange, but did not commit. His previous leader, Northwestern, filled up with their offensive line slots, which forced Heckel to look elsewhere. That is when Syracuse got involved.
On Thursday and into Friday morning, Heckel checked out the Orange program. He toured the campus and the facilities, met with coaches, and got a feel for what it’s like to be a part of Syracuse football.
”Going into it, I thought it was a good comparison to Northwestern,” Heckel said. “That’s where I previously wanted to go. I thought it compared well and was even better facilities wise and with the coaches and stuff. I kind of knew coming in that Syracuse was a pretty prestigious school. I talked to an academic advisor. Their academic facilities are nice. I think it would be a challenge but good overall.”
Throughout the trip, Heckel spent a lot of time with Joe Adam, Syracuse’s offensive line coach, as well as head coach Scott Shafer. The message to the 6-foot-5 guard was simple. There is only one offensive line slot left, and despite their interest in several other prospects, the slot is Heckel’s if he wants it.
”They have a number of o-linemen that they want,” Heckel said. “I just happened to be found late. They didn’t know who I was, really, until a couple of weeks ago. They really want me to go there. Coach Adam said he thinks I would be a great fit and would do extremely well. I think I would to.
”They said there’s one spot. That’s why I’m kind of nervous whether or not someone else wants to commit in the next couple of days or week or so.”
Heckel said he down to Syracuse and Northern Illinois. He has visited the Huskies a few times, and now has taken in Syracuse. He likes both schools for different reasons, and is going to evaluate his options over the next week to find the best fit. He has no set decision date during that time, but believes he will come to a decision over the next several days that could come at any point.
His interest in Northern Illinois is the reason why the Orange did not receive a commitment before he left campus. Heckel wanted to go home, think about his options, and figure out the best fit by taking a look at both schools.

Last edited:
That's all well and good, and I don't want kids to rush into decisions either if they aren't sure. Just saying, my understanding is that his offer is committable at any time, and he just lost a spot at Northwestern because he waited. I just don't want to see the kid have the same thing happen to him.

From the previous articles I've read, I had the sense that he REALLY wants to play in the BiG 10. Then again, he loved "NW" but didn't pull the trigger. I'm going to guess that Wiscon is still in his ear.

Do you have anything on Chase Behrndt? Heckel mentioned him by name as someone who stood out to him at one of the camps they both attended.

From the previous articles I've read, I had the sense that he REALLY wants to play in the BiG 10. Then again, he loved "NW" but didn't pull the trigger. I'm going to guess that Wiscon is still in his ear.

Do you have anything on Chase Behrndt? Heckel mentioned him by name as someone who stood out to him at one of the camps they both attended.
All I know about Behrndt is what's been said in the recent articles...he's basically down to us and Kansas, it sounds like, and could decide at any time. Be interesting to see what happens if he suddenly decides he's ready.

Reactions: 007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom