OT- San Fransisco Tips? | Syracusefan.com

OT- San Fransisco Tips?

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
Making a last minute weekend trip to San Fransisco a week from today with another couple. Land Friday morning at 8am, fly out 6pm Sunday.

Wont be enough time to catch a baseball game :/

Any tips on a couple nice restaurants? We don't have many chances to get the girls dressed up for a nice night on the town here in Alaska, so we'd like to do that Friday and Saturday night.

Things to see? Golden Gate is a must, and the trolley. Anything else?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the OT.

CuseTroop said:
Making a last minute weekend trip to San Fransisco a week from today with another couple. Land Friday morning at 8am, fly out 6pm Sunday. Wont be enough time to catch a baseball game :/ Any tips on a couple nice restaurants? We don't have many chances to get the girls dressed up for a nice night on the town here in Alaska, so we'd like to do that Friday and Saturday night. Things to see? Golden Gate is a must, and the trolley. Anything else? Thanks for the help, and sorry for the OT.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/san-francisco/the-20-best-restaurants-in-sf-right-now-eat-seeker

I'd also recommend spending some time walking the piers and going to Alcatraz

Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Park
Fishermans Wharf (Pier 39)
Lombard Street
Alcatraz if you have time
Chinatown is pretty cool
Academy of Sciences
Yerba Buena Gardens
Union Square (shopping?)

Making a last minute weekend trip to San Fransisco a week from today with another couple. Land Friday morning at 8am, fly out 6pm Sunday.

Any tips on a couple nice restaurants? We don't have many chances to get the girls dressed up for a nice night on the town here in Alaska, so we'd like to do that Friday and Saturday night.

Alcatraz is damn cool.
At night, between 9pm-Midnight, go to the Buena Vista for Irish Coffee. Famous spot there. Take the trolly up the hill.

You guys rock.

and speaking of rock...

Alcatraz might be a no-go, based on how short on time we are. I'm a huge History guy, but if we have enough time to go to Alcatraz, why the heck aren't we going to a Giants game lol.

CuseTroop said:
You guys rock. and speaking of rock... Alcatraz might be a no-go, based on how short on time we are. I'm a huge History guy, but if we have enough time to go to Alcatraz, why the heck aren't we going to a Giants game lol.
Alcatraz trip was only a couple hours by my recollection (maybe even less)

If you do make it to Union Square and need a beer try out Johnny Foley's. My favorite little Irish Pub. Also Union Square has a nice little lunch spot. The CheeseCake Factory is on top floor of Macys. Every time I got there excellent food.

I went for the first time last summer. The Muir Woods are amazing. I really wanted to go to the Russian River brewery but I didn't have enough time.

I'm a local and, as with any major city, how the locals do it is far different than the tourists.

If you want to do the tourist thing, depending on your tastes, all the obvious choices are well-worth the visit--Golden Gate Park, a boat ride around the Bay, Fisherman's Wharf, the cable cars (packed but fun), Chinatown (small but cool), Alcatraz (weird), Ghiardelli Square, the Marina, etc. Within the park, if you're into cool museums, there's the De Young and the California Academy of Sciences. People like the SF Moma but it's not much compared to NYC's. The Palace of Fine Arts is definitely worth seeing as is the Exploratorium.

For eating, SF is more about the neighborhood than it is the individual restaurants. Here's a link to the various neighborhoods in the City that will help you. If I had to pick one neighborhood not to miss for dining, it would be North Beach.

As for the GGB, if you can take walking on a suspension bridge, the coolest part is hoofing it across. Unreal views of the Golden Gate. If you're into a short ride to eat or hang out, Sausalito and Tiburon are just over the bridge and absolutely worth the trip.

One thing to keep firmly in mind...SF can be chilly, damp and foggy this time of year. But that shouldn't bother you frozen tundra dudes. Spring on the coast here is far different than inland, where it can be 20 - 30 degrees warmer and sunny.

And one final thing...don't know where you're staying but SF has no shortage of great boutique hotels and Airbnb spots to stay...

Oh, one other thing...stay away from the Tenderloin unless you like to live dangerously.

Go up to twin peaks, its free and bring the Camera, you won't be disappointed.

A couple of pieces of advice...the line to head out to Alcatraz can be two hours long so if you're time tight it's a good one to skip.
Also, unless you like to get stuck in traffic with no place to park, or you love to be one of a billion people walking around in the same place, stay away from Union Square.
Lombard Street is very popular, and quirky, blah, blah, but the lines to actually drive or walk down it are single file and it can be more of a march than a stroll, especially on a weekend.
Oh, and the neighborhood (SOMA) around the ballpark once was dicey but now is renovated and hopping.

More...tourists generally don't do this but by far the best thing to do when visiting the City is to see a few things and then leave. Rent a car and drive south on Skyline Drive (Hwy 35) towards Santa Cruz (a very cool place and surfing's ground zero), pick up Hwy 1 south towards Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur. If you didn't want to go that far south, just taking Skyline to the 1 to Santa Cruz is, as Dr. Evil said, breathtaking, even for people who've been here for decades. It's nature (and history) at its best.

And yet another thing...don't ever, under any circumstances, no matter what, refer to the City as Frisco. We kill for less than that out here.

More...tourists generally don't do this but by far the best thing to do when visiting the City is to see a few things and then leave. Rent a car and drive south on Skyline Drive (Hwy 35) towards Santa Cruz (a very cool place and surfing's ground zero), pick up Hwy 1 south towards Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur. If you didn't want to go that far south, just taking Skyline to the 1 to Santa Cruz is, as Dr. Evil said, breathtaking, even for people who've been here for decades. It's nature (and history) at its best.
Okay, I have to ask...

I thought Dr Evil considered a shorn scrotum breaktaking. He considers a drive on Highway 1 from SF to Santa Cruz a similar thrill?

It must be amazing!

...Friday and Saturday night.

Don't ask how I happen to know this...but if you're looking for something late Friday or Saturday...check out Biscuits and Blues in Union Square area...Wayne Baker Brooks is doing 10PM shows both nights. The man can play. I made a special trip to Syracuse a few years ago to see a rare show with him, his brother and their dad, 80-something axeman Lonnie Brooks.

http://biscuitsandblues.com/waynebakerbrooks

And by the way, don't understand the fascination with Fisherman's Wharf.
Especially with all the other things to do and places to go.

Okay, I have to ask...

I thought Dr Evil considered a shorn scrotum breaktaking. He considers a drive on Highway 1 from SF to Santa Cruz a similar thrill?

It must be amazing!

It was the hot pockets Dr. Evil considered breathtaking.

I'm a local and, as with any major city, how the locals do it is far different than the tourists.

If you want to do the tourist thing, depending on your tastes, all the obvious choices are well-worth the visit--Golden Gate Park, a boat ride around the Bay, Fisherman's Wharf, the cable cars (packed but fun), Chinatown (small but cool), Alcatraz (weird), Ghiardelli Square, the Marina, etc. Within the park, if you're into cool museums, there's the De Young and the California Academy of Sciences. People like the SF Moma but it's not much compared to NYC's. The Palace of Fine Arts is definitely worth seeing as is the Exploratorium.

For eating, SF is more about the neighborhood than it is the individual restaurants. Here's a link to the various neighborhoods in the City that will help you. If I had to pick one neighborhood not to miss for dining, it would be North Beach.

As for the GGB, if you can take walking on a suspension bridge, the coolest part is hoofing it across. Unreal views of the Golden Gate. If you're into a short ride to eat or hang out, Sausalito and Tiburon are just over the bridge and absolutely worth the trip.

One thing to keep firmly in mind...SF can be chilly, damp and foggy this time of year. But that shouldn't bother you frozen tundra dudes. Spring on the coast here is far different than inland, where it can be 20 - 30 degrees warmer and sunny.

And one final thing...don't know where you're staying but SF has no shortage of great boutique hotels and Airbnb spots to stay...

Oh, one other thing...stay away from the Tenderloin unless you like to live dangerously.

Agree with all the above. We went to SF about 3 years ago, stayed a few blocks off Union Square where much was within walking distance. Also the ENO wine bar. We also used the Hop-On, Hop-Off (upper deck & a jacket is a must). We walked the GGB, then down into Sausalito, took the water taxi back over to FW, nice afternoon. Not much for local beers - surely nothing like Portland, anyway. The neighborhood idea is quite correct. There was a nice little strip on Chestnut a block north of Lombard with a really nice cafe spot - The Grove Chestnut- at Avila, don't know whether it's still there - just Google mapped it, it's gone, but there are other Grove locations in SF.

It was the hot pockets Dr. Evil considered breathtaking.
I think both were considered breathtaking...

But I could be wrong.

I think both were considered breathtaking...

But I could be wrong.

Or you could be right. At least now I have a good reason to go back and watch all three APs for the zillionth time. Can't get enough of AP and Dr. Evil, even though I'm not quite evil enough, the diet coke of evil.