OT- Skydiving | Syracusefan.com

OT- Skydiving

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
I went skydiving for the first time before the ND game this weekend. It was the most amazing experience of my life, and I'm a firm believer that I've done some pretty cool things in my day. I'm for sure hooked. I wont be able to jump again until after this long Alaskan winter, but my goal is to jump enough next summer to be able to jump solo.

If you have been putting skydiving off, stop it. Do it. You wont regret it!

10712743_10153204101198452_1090999468719096605_n.jpg

10685603_10153204095798452_932708964987636246_n.jpg

It really is an amazing experience. Back when I was in college, I started skydiving at an airstrip near Ithaca, in Ovid, New York [Finger Lakes Skydivers]. Really a lot of fun if you aren't afraid of heights.

I ended up doing 17 jumps over about a three year span, but haven't gone in a long time. Would definitely be interested in taking it up again.

Last edited:
CuseTroop said:
I went skydiving for the first time before the ND game this weekend. It was the most amazing experience of my life, and I'm a firm believer that I've done some pretty cool things in my day. I'm for sure hooked. I wont be able to jump again until after this long Alaskan winter, but my goal is to jump enough next summer to be able to jump solo. If you have been putting skydiving off, stop it. Do it. You wont regret it!

You took the easy route by using a parachute.

Free falling seems scary. What's it like, or do you even feel like you are falling that fast with no real frame of reference?

In college I made one jump. Broke my leg in three places. The positive of course was the coeds asking how I broke my leg. :D

SUintheVille said:
Free falling seems scary. What's it like, or do you even feel like you are falling that fast with no real frame of reference?

I was bummed out when the instructor said "it will feel like 5 seconds"... But it didn't. It felt like the whole 30 seconds. From 10,000 to 5,000 feet. It's hard to explain. It just felt amazing. I've done 193 on a motorcycle, and this was way more of a rush.

you guys are nutz. im pretty sure actuaries will tell you that this is one of the most dangerous things you can do. I get the rush. but I dont get the risk/ reward ratios...they are off.

If this is the jump site near Seneca Falls, they planted more than one in the ground several years ago.

I'd say it depends on how unnerved you get from heights, the sensation of falling. The cool thing about freefalling the way I did it [I did static line jumps first, and then "earned" my way to pulling my own ripcord, then steadily up to jumps from higher and higher elevations] was that by the time I got to where I was having longer free falls, I wasn't scared about the jump process itself, which enabled me to enjoy the free fall without worrying about what I was supposed to do and when.

Its a different process for people who do tandem jumps, with an experienced skydiver, who controls the 'chute and guides you in afterwards. This approach enables people to experieince a lengthy free fall the first time, and since most people who take the plunge only sky dive once, a lot of people choose this route because of the thrill factor.

If you find heights scary, then free falling is going to be scary. I found it to be exhilirating, but again--but the time I was having lengthier free falls, I was confident about knowing what I was supposed to do--which freed me up to just enjoy the experience. It's definitely not for everyone--especially those who might expereince stress / anxiety about falling.

It's difficult to describe. It is fast, fun, and quite a rush. You DEFINITELY have a frame of reference, especially if others are around you, and with the ground below [although it is difficult to gauge elevation unless you really know what you're doing]. It really all depends on what objects you can orient yourself to, how far up you're jumping from, and how comfortable you feel during the jump.

After the chute is deployed, I don't think there's a more serene experience you can have. Especially if you've got a nice view while you descend.

None of the above does adequately justice to the experience, for the record.

Last edited:
CuseTroop said:
I was bummed out when the instructor said "it will feel like 5 seconds"... But it didn't. It felt like the whole 30 seconds. From 10,000 to 5,000 feet. It's hard to explain. It just felt amazing. I've done 193 on a motorcycle, and this was way more of a rush.
You went 193 mph on a motorcycle? 1. Really? Almost seems impossible. 2. Why?

If this is the jump site near Seneca Falls, they planted more than one in the ground several years ago.

This was in Palmer, Alaska. The view coming down was amazing.

You went 193 mph on a motorcycle? 1. Really? Almost seems impossible. 2. Why?

One of my goals in life is to hit 200 mph on a motorcycle. My dad grew up racing drag bikes, NHRA stuff, and he's had me on bikes since I was 3. In 07 I bought a brand new Ninja zx10r. There was a stretch of road that was closed off for a few days. About 2 miles, straight, smooth, and after a little broom work, clean. I ran out of road at 193. My dad ran out of road at 198. Dealer said the bike would do 216, and I believe it.

I never got that bike on the drag strip, or a road course. My dad still has one of his drag bikes, but the last time we got it out to get it race ready, I snapped my collar bone in two, jumping 4 wheelers. The bike got pretty messed up in the floods they had in May. It's currently sitting in a bike shop, hopefully they can get her squared away

One of my goals in life is to hit 200 mph on a motorcycle. My dad grew up racing drag bikes, NHRA stuff, and he's had me on bikes since I was 3. In 07 I bought a brand new Ninja zx10r. There was a stretch of road that was closed off for a few days. About 2 miles, straight, smooth, and after a little broom work, clean. I ran out of road at 193. My dad ran out of road at 198. Dealer said the bike would do 216, and I believe it.

I never got that bike on the drag strip, or a road course. My dad still has one of his drag bikes, but the last time we got it out to get it race ready, I snapped my collar bone in two, jumping 4 wheelers. The bike got pretty messed up in the floods they had in May. It's currently sitting in a bike shop, hopefully they can get her squared away
Sounds dangerous - I would say 193 is close enough. Round up to 200 - easy peasy!

We won't tell anyone ;)

I'd know. My dad would know (even tho he shares your views on this) and my little brother would know, and brings it up every time we talk on the phone. I sold my ninja when I moved to Alaska, and he yells at me about it about once a week.

I'd know. My dad would know (even tho he shares your views on this) and my little brother would know, and brings it up every time we talk on the phone. I sold my ninja when I moved to Alaska, and he yells at me about it about once a week.

You do realize your brother would move up the inheritance chain, don't you? ;)

You do realize your brother would move up the inheritance chain, don't you? ;)

lol yeaaaa. He is just as crazy, if not more crazy then me. The fact that we havent hit 200 yet, bugs him more than it bugs me. I think if we can get that drag bike going again, it will help fill the void haha