OT: Syracuse Parochial League | Syracusefan.com

OT: Syracuse Parochial League

My dad played for St. Anthony's in the mid 50's. First guy over half court who was open shot the ball.

A fascinating link here: http://www.floorburnsbook.com/

Click on the book link and read some of the stories from the mid 60's

Talks about the Parochial League of Syracuse...I know we have a few ex-parochial league guys here.
Anything about the Sacred Heart vs Oswego Catholic High School Diocesan Championship around 1963?

A fascinating link here: http://www.floorburnsbook.com/

Click on the book link and read some of the stories from the mid 60's

Talks about the Parochial League of Syracuse...I know we have a few ex-parochial league guys here.

There used to be a bar near Eastwood called the Old Parochial League. Lots of historical themed stuff, owned by a former SPL player.

There used to be a bar near Eastwood called the Old Parochial League. Lots of historical themed stuff, owned by a former SPL player.

It was on Burnet Ave owned by Rosary grad, Louie Snow, in the prior "Mrs O'Leary's" bar (which had been owned by SU's Lee Brothers etc). It was filled with old Parochial League paraphernalia including old player and cheerleader uniforms, varsity jackets, published box scores, All-Star pictures etc. It's been closed now for about 15 years. Our own Orangeyes loaned some of the displayed Parochial League themed athletic pictures, articles etc especially related to St John the Evangelist. About a year and a half ago, there was a Parochial league athletic reunion held at the Polish home near Sacred Heart. Each school had displays and many of the former Parochial League players, cheerleaders, fans etc attended. Good time.

i always thought vincents and assumption had the smallest of the gyms---albeit they were all small except hearts baptists and rosary. the original hearts gym was in the school before the built the new one. memory has faded. lucys had a decent gym as well---old style time clock

Rosary's old wooden gym burned down in the mid to late 40's.(way before me believe it or not - my mother's era) They had no home gym except borrowed neighborhood ones until they built the 2nd floor new gym in the parish center in 1959-1960. Sacred Heart had a newer gym also in the 60's/70's. St Vincents had columns and very low ceilings. To watch Assumption you had to ascend a long set of narrow steps in a stairway to get to their gym on an upper floor. To watch St Anthony's games you watched from a balcony to see the game played below. St John the Baptist and St Pat's had combo auditorium/ gyms with a stage along one baseline. Not unusual to see players on fastbreaks jump up on the stage finishing plays, then jumping back down to get down court again. I saw kids run straight into swinging doors behind baskets to the stairwell when completing plays on the north end of St Pat's gym. Many gyms like MHR had padding on the walls behind the baskets to help avoid impact injuries. The gyms were packed for games, kids were squished on buses, in private cars to get to standing room only contests and there were dances called "open houses" after many games. Games were fun, intense with creative cheers. After the games, restaurants like Danzers' Tino's , Smoral's, numerous area pizza joints were filled with kids/parents afterwards. Great memories.

I'm jealous reading these accounts. I think it would've been cool to play in this league back in the 60's...10 years too early and 7 miles away for me though...and not being Catholic too might have been a small issue ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom