OT: The one ring scam | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: The one ring scam

Actually...the scam calls only target cellphones.
If you call back from a landline you get a busy signal.
Yes, I tried it.

I guess this must be lucrative given the low overhead.
But unless you know someone in Antigua, Dominica, Grenada or Bayonne...why would anyone ever return the call?

And the bigger unanswered question is why cell service providers act as middlemen and collect the fees for these crooks.
Is Bayonne near Piscataway? Maybe that's what is happening to Rutgers recruiting class. The recruits see the area code and don't answer.

Col. Bleep said:
Yes, I tried it.

But unless you know someone in Antigua, Dominica, Grenada or Bayonne...why would anyone ever return the call?

And the bigger unanswered question is why cell service providers act as middlemen and collect the fees for these crooks.

Why you messing with Bayonne? :)

I'm very relieved after reading this. I thought it meant The One Ring from the Lord Of The Rings i was looking to buy was somehow a scam.

GLD-LOTR-2T.jpg

Only because...unless it's my dentist's office or Chuck Wepner...if I get a call from Bayonne there's probably a scam involved. But, come to think of it, that's probably true of any calls I get.
I'll have the Champ pay you a visit if you keep badmouthing his hometown....

I don't call back numbers I don't know. If it is really important, they will leave a message. My son got a ring from a strange number the other night. I forget the area code, but he ignored it anyway.

We should just nuke these island nations. ;)

Yes, I tried it.

Getting 2-3 of then them daily on TW landline, no caller name left and number says out of area, very strange as can't call back if I wanted to.

I've gotten 2 of them. Obviously my first thought was not only did I not know anyone in Antigua or Jamaica, but my cell plan probably does not cover there so I ain't picking it up. Also as a real estate agent I get so many calls from unrecognized numbers. But to those who use their phones for business I never pick up because I do not want to be caught unprepared by not remembering a customer. So I figure I can always call right back. Then I know WHO I am calling and can remember the details. And of course tell them I was on with another customer!!

I pick up every call I can because it could mean new business. That being said if they are from another country they probably aren't looking for a CPA in Nashville. :)