OT: Time for ND to join ACC? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Time for ND to join ACC?

That would be great if it plays out like that!! If they were to join who would be the 16th team?

I still think a one-loss Notre Dame team gets into the playoff in most seasons.

It would be a grave mistake for anyone connected to the ACC to pressure them. To most of their fans the end of their independence will seem like the End of Days. It will be that much worse if they feel that the ACC forced them to join. I'd much rather have them wail and gnash their teeth at the B1G, SEC, and the Big XII-2 than at us.

If the "No Need for Divisions" rule is in effect if and when they decide to join, we won't need a 16th mouth to feed if we adopt the 4-5-5 schedule. If everyone wants a 16th team, then I'd be in favor of the Navy/G'Town hybrid membership (Navy for football and G'Town for the other sports).

I'd prefer West Virginia but UCONN would seem to be more available.

It would be a grave mistake for anyone connected to the ACC to pressure them. To most of their fans the end of their independence will seem like the End of Days. It will be that much worse if they feel that the ACC forced them to join. I'd much rather have them wail and gnash their teeth at the B1G, SEC, and the Big XII-2 than at us.

If the "No Need for Divisions" rule is in effect if and when they decide to join, we won't need a 16th mouth to feed if we adopt the 4-5-5 schedule. If everyone wants a 16th team, then I'd be in favor of the Navy/G'Town hybrid membership (Navy for football and G'Town for the other sports).

If we have no divisions, do we have a title game?

I still like the idea of flexible divisions. Rank the teams 1-16 based on what they did in the previous year and make one division the 'odd' division: 1-3-5-7-9-11-13-15 and one the 'even division: 2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16. Play the other seven teams in your division and one team of your and their choice for 8 games. That would allow teams to retain the biggest annual rivalry.

I'd prefer West Virginia but UCONN would seem to be more available.

Seeming to be available isn't a good answer to the question.

West Virginia in the Big 12 is like Bermuda being in the ACC. I'd bet WVU is equally available if an invite went out.

First, think big. Then, think smaller. Then (hopefully never), think smallest. Which is UConn.

If we have no divisions, do we have a title game?

I still like the idea of flexible divisions. Rank the teams 1-16 based on what they did in the previous year and make one division the 'odd' division: 1-3-5-7-9-11-13-15 and one the 'even division: 2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16. Play the other seven teams in your division and one team of your and their choice for 8 games. That would allow teams to retain the biggest annual rivalry.
Yes. The rule change will allow conference championship games without requiring divisions. That odd and even setup is quite intriguing!

West Virginia in the Big 12 is like Bermuda being in the ACC. I'd bet WVU is equally available if an invite went out.

First, think big. Then, think smaller. Then (hopefully never), think smallest. Which is UConn.

You would have to think they get tired of the Big 12 at some point, and would prefer a better fit.

It might be harder for them to get away from a P5 conference.

a couple of 10-2 regular seasons followed up at the poulon weedeater bowl will set them straight...

0848124001430557727_filepicker.jpg

The only question to ask is what's in it for ND?

And by that I mean $$$$$$$$$.

Would joining the ACC, and forsaking "independence", be a big net positive in terms of revenue? If not, there's no need to do it.

donniesyracuse said:
I still think a one-loss Notre Dame team gets into the playoff in most seasons.

I don't. They'd be like Baylor and TCU - one marquee game short (conference championship). Easier to take a 1 loss team with that game under their belt + current reality is that if the SEC has 2 one loss teams - they are getting 2 in.

I don't. They'd be like Baylor and TCU - one marquee game short (conference championship). Easier to take a 1 loss team with that game under their belt + current reality is that if the SEC has 2 one loss teams - they are getting 2 in.

It all depends on their sos, if Notre Dame is a one loss team this year, they aren't getting in, their schedule isn't going to be very strong.

i always knew you were reading and learning from my posts...
:eek: ;)

:cool:

Assuming Notre Dame continues to schedule as they currently do, there SOS will be good enough to compensate for the lack of a championship game.

The only question to ask is what's in it for ND?

And by that I mean $$$$$$$$$.

Would joining the ACC, and forsaking "independence", be a big net positive in terms of revenue? If not, there's no need to do it.
They would have to weigh the benefit of $$$$ vs. a somewhat limited access to the CFP. A couple of 10-2/11-1 exclusions, and maybe it's a more difficult decision than would be currently. You know how those Domers love championships. ;)

They would have to weigh the benefit of $$$$ vs. a somewhat limited access to the CFP. A couple of 10-2/11-1 exclusions, and maybe it's a more difficult decision than would be currently. You know how those Domers love championships. ;)

Beat me to it, so I deleted my post. Either exclusions in years they feel they deserve to be in, or if they ultimately get muscled out altogether by those who want to force them to join a conference.

$ vs championships, that will always be the ND dilemma.

You would have to think they get tired of the Big 12 at some point, and would prefer a better fit.

I think they were tired of it from day 1, but it's all about survival. They'd kill to be in the ACC, especially the ACC that includes Pitt, Syracuse and BC. They'd get everything they want.

You think FSU and Clemson will ever go for 9 conference games?

KaiserUEO said:
i always knew you were reading and learning from my posts... :eek: ;) :cool:

I wouldn't go that far ;). We do agree on this though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom