OT: tv advice | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: tv advice

The Sonos sound bar is a very close second. Sonos sound is excellent, and the technology is great. KUEO and others: get a Sonos sound bar, and some Sonos wireless speakers for other spots in the same room and elsewhere in your home, then come back and thank me afterward. Guaranteed.

Sonos = Best. Thing. Ever.

The Sonos Sound Bar alone is $700. That's not counting any additional wireless speakers. The sound bar heavily processes sound in an attempt to make it sound like you have additional speakers. You can get a decent and real 5.1 system for $700.

Sorry gentleman had to be said... I got a cheap viewasonicwalmartiespecial... Possible envy talking here... Everything I own can fit in my car... ahh to be a debt ridden young teacher... I just make my students act out the gamecast of SU sports. What is really fun is when they act out movies like 300 or Gladiator for history class ;).

Last edited:
The Sonos Sound Bar alone is $700. That's not counting any additional wireless speakers. The sound bar heavily processes sound in an attempt to make it sound like you have additional speakers. You can get a decent and real 5.1 system for $700.
I just never felt the need to be surrounded by sound.

Me: Here.

TV sound: There.

Vizios ive alwAys felt is best bang for your buck. I dont see any difference in picture quality or overAll quality and the tvs are like half the price
I've been running my 40' Vizio LCD for 6 years now and never had a problem. In terms of value they're absolutely the way to go. My roommate just bought a 60 inch Sony smart TV and very impressed by this one as well. Got it from Best Buy for right around 1000.

Been said by others, but I agree the way to go is Panasonic for plasma (you can still find them if you look) and Samsung for LED. My Panasonic plasma is almost 10 years old and people are still amazed at the quality of the picture.

Reactions: 007
I have three tvs, primary is a Panasonic plasma, about two years old. The other two are LCD. Plasma pic is much better from angles, no loss of picture quality. About the same from straight on, but LCD less sharp from angle viewing. Those tvs are a bit older though, and tech may have improved.

Vizios ive alwAys felt is best bang for your buck. I dont see any difference in picture quality or overAll quality and the tvs are like half the price

I agree. I was a samsung guy from the time I grad Syracuse (2007) until this year.

I went with a 55 inch smart LED Vizio which was $100 cheaper than the Samsung. Everything else was the same. It was like $650 or $700 out the door. Love it.

Some prefer the girth as opposed to the length

Nah. Some prefer to let it go out on it's own terms since it's days are loooong gone. ;) Nintendo 64 games should be played on a tube.

My Kuro is 8 years old and is still considered the "refernce" model as far as widescreen flat TVs go (save 4k).

I also have a large Panasonic plasma VT60 which is excellent as well.

The Kuro is a power hog, but newer plasmas have gone a long way in reducing power consumption.

If I were buying again, I would find the last of the plasmas, but Panasonic/Samsung LCDs are good as well.

I have a 60" Samsung LED Smartv 240htz refresh and have friends with comparable products made by Vizio, Sony, Panasonic. They all claim my tv still has a better picture FWIW. I won't buy anything other than Samsung going fwd.

I also have a 46" and 40" Sharp Aquos w/ 600htz refresh rate tvs. These are Plasma. They perform well, but the picture and color spectrum on my Samsung has had me angling to replace these with Samsung LEDs for the last year. They're just not the same.

do you have the model # for the samsung 60" led smart tv?

do you have the model # for the samsung 60" led smart tv?

This is the tv I bought from Bestbuy. I bought in January 2012 and paid $2500, so I imagine it's cheaper now. This is a 60" 7000 series tv by samsung with the following details:

Samsung-60" Class / LED / 1080p / 240Hz / 3D / Smart HDTV-UN60D7000V
SKU:

This one is going for $1999.99 and is 8000 series (better than 7000) - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...20700050004_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=2

This one for $1897.99 and is 7100 series - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...ryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=3#tab=buyingOptions

Last edited:
Another option is a projector. I have an Epson 8350 with a 106 inch screen from Carada:

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-PowerLite-Home-Cinema-8350/dp/B0044UHJWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405486409&sr=8-1&keywords=epson 8350

http://www.carada.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PROJECTION-SCREEN-H106P

Watching sports on a truly big screen is fantastic! And movie watching is a real theater experience. My setup is in a dark room but there are projectors and screens today that can be used with lights on if desired or needed. Many people don't think of this option. But believe me, it's worth considering - I could never go back to a small screen and 70 inches is a small screen to me :)

And check out these speakers for your man cave:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...c=All+Categories&nrp=50&fs=saas&iht=n&seeAll=

These Andrew Jones designed models from Pioneer get great reviews everywhere. And sound is critical to the home theater experience - too many people skimp on the sound - it is important. Thrown in a good receiver in the $300-500 range and you'll be in man cave heaven! Definitely, spend some time at http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php
It's the best forum on the internet IMHO to get answers to your questions. Good luck!

Last edited:
This should be your first man cave purchase:

SUPERchexx.jpg

Hail SuperChexx...... I just bought one for my man cave.

I've also been eyeing the Classic Arcade setup that has the 60-100 classic 80's era arcade games.

that guy should start selling those, that is awesome!

A local video game shop by me had one of these when I was in there 6 month ago. It had something like 250 games on it. Galaga, Moon Patrol, Dig Dug, etc all the old time favs. It was a legit Galaga cabinet that it was in. It was $5000 but I got the feeling they would have negotiated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom