OT: UAB shutting down Football Program | Syracusefan.com

OT: UAB shutting down Football Program

Stern

All American
CBS Sports just broke the story that UAB fired their AD and will no longer have a football program.

Lots of kids probably looking to transfer to play football. Hope SU inquires about a few!

CBS Sports just broke the story that UAB fired their AD and will no longer have a football program.

Lots of kids probably looking to transfer to play football. Hope SU inquires about a few!

I forgot about the transfer aspect. That will be interesting if anything comes of that. I have a feeling anybody that is any good will probably find a home somewhere in the south but who knows?

Odd decision, they were actually a decent program this year.

I looked at their 2015 commit list, a couple of good Fla kids on there including the Livingstone kid we looked at. I need to look at their current roster for a QB! I assume all current players can play right away unless the NCAA is more deranged then I think

when I read that I thought it was a hoax, why would they do such a thing?

They have a sophomore stud RB who ran for about 1500 yards. That's about 1200 more than any of our RBs. Their QB passed for 2200 which is about 2100 yards better than any of our guys. Ok slight exaggeration

This provides good some insight into the reasoning. Really long though. Found this part interesting

"Simmering under the surface of this debate is the role of powerful trustees with Crimson Tide ties, including Paul Bryant Jr., the son of the legendary Alabama football coach. To UAB supporters, there is no doubt Bryant Jr. plans to finally kill UAB football before he leaves the board this year after a decades-old feud tied to Gene Bartow, the late founder of UAB athletics."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...f-trustees-finally-ready-to-kill-uab-football

I forgot about the transfer aspect. That will be interesting if anything comes of that. I have a feeling anybody that is any good will probably find a home somewhere in the south but who knows?
You might have Juniors and Seniors who just want a shot to play. If so they would probably go to the best opportunity to play rather than go to a school where they will sit their final year or two

Out of the 25 standard starting positions...I'd say 5-7 could come here and start next year.

Sad. Just another reason to despise the University of Alabama. I feel badly for UAB fans.

There have been a few articles out recently about this possibility. NFL alums even wrote a letter to the BOT. Seems the BOT wants to focus all the resources in the system on the Tide. Crazy. What more do they need?

There have been a few articles out recently about this possibility. NFL alums even wrote a letter to the BOT. Seems the BOT wants to focus all the resources in the system on the Tide. Crazy. What more do they need?
They need to lose to Mizzou in the SEC title game , that's what they need.

This is so strange. Football is religion down south and they've just killed one of it's pastors. Super shady and screwed up.

just the start of this trend as the handwritings on the wall for a myriad of reasons. Though I thought it would start at the div. 3 level as fewer and fewer play the sport. Think the ivys will go this route in our lifetimes as less and less "smart" kids submit to playing this crazy sport. The div. 3 Ivy League (NESCAC) will go the way of this likely down the road a bit...starting with my alma mater who are approaching a 30 game in a row losing streak with no end in sight. Sad times for the sport I love.

just the start of this trend as the handwritings on the wall for a myriad of reasons. Though I thought it would start at the div. 3 level as fewer and fewer play the sport. Think the ivys will go this route in our lifetimes as less and less "smart" kids submit to playing this crazy sport. The div. 3 Ivy League (NESCAC) will go the way of this likely down the road a bit...starting with my alma mater who are approaching a 30 game in a row losing streak with no end in sight. Sad times for the sport I love.
i think this one is a bit unusual, the whole setup of the u of alabama is so strange, UA trustees are killing this, it's not that UAB didn't want to keep going

This provides good some insight into the reasoning. Really long though. Found this part interesting

"Simmering under the surface of this debate is the role of powerful trustees with Crimson Tide ties, including Paul Bryant Jr., the son of the legendary Alabama football coach. To UAB supporters, there is no doubt Bryant Jr. plans to finally kill UAB football before he leaves the board this year after a decades-old feud tied to Gene Bartow, the late founder of UAB athletics."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...f-trustees-finally-ready-to-kill-uab-football
Wow, the definition of petty. I have to say my love for college sports erodes a little more everyday.

I think the handwriting is on the wall as well. Running a football program is a financial loser for most schools. Too much money goes out and not enough comes in. Now with the playoff and the money being eaten up by the big boys smaller schools with no shot to ever get a piece of that pie will just fold shop and get out of the red. I didn't think a school like UAB would be the first, but I think more schools will follow suit in time.

The bad blood between UAB and UA has been known down here for decades. UAB is pretty much the red-headed bastard step-child in the UA system, and it won't get any better until UAB is able to get out from under the thumb of the jack-holes at UA.