OT: Veteran's Day | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Veteran's Day

I always feel a little sheepish when someone thanks me for my service. I almost want to say, "No, you've got it backwards".

To me it was an honor and privilege to serve. It taught me live-changing lessons that I could not have learned in any other place. I found I could endure things and accomplish things I had no idea I was capable of.

I met some of the best people and some of the worst people you can imagine. I've lived real up close and personal with black guys from Alabama and white guys from Texas and Mexican guys from California and depend upon them and trust them and they became my true friends. I got to go places and see things I would have never seen.

I'm sure you have all been in cemeteries and seen gravestones that have the persons name and dates of birth and death on them. And then sometimes there's some other information on them too like "US Army 1943 - 1945" or "U.S Navy 1954-1958". The guy lived a whole life. He probably had a wife, kids, grandkids. He worked some where doing something. He belonged to clubs, etc. But the gravestone seems to suggest that what he is most proud of is that period of service to the Country.

Thanking someone for their service is a nice gesture and it's appreciated. But I've been tempted to thank them back for allowing me to do it.

12239707_532372906928819_5906701866632420623_n.jpg

I always feel a little sheepish when someone thanks me for my service. I almost want to say, "No, you've got it backwards".

To me it was an honor and privilege to serve. It taught me live-changing lessons that I could not have learned in any other place. I found I could endure things and accomplish things I had no idea I was capable of.

I met some of the best people and some of the worst people you can imagine. I've lived real up close and personal with black guys from Alabama and white guys from Texas and Mexican guys from California and depend upon them and trust them and they became my true friends. I got to go places and see things I would have never seen.

I'm sure you have all been in cemeteries and seen gravestones that have the persons name and dates of birth and death on them. And then sometimes there's some other information on them too like "US Army 1943 - 1945" or "U.S Navy 1954-1958". The guy lived a whole life. He probably had a wife, kids, grandkids. He worked some where doing something. He belonged to clubs, etc. But the gravestone seems to suggest that what he is most proud of is that period of service to the Country.

Thanking someone for their service is a nice gesture and it's appreciated. But I've been tempted to thank them back for allowing me to do it.

Killer! You had me in tears, brother! What a great response. Thank you!

THIS!! Exactly how I feel...thank you for your words!!

Townie thanks for putting what I, and many other veterans feel. My 4 years were some of the best, and worst times of my life. But the perspective you learn about people, and life made it all worth while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom