OT: Vikings stadium roof observation | Syracusefan.com

OT: Vikings stadium roof observation

Watching today's Vikings highlights, the game almost appeared to be outdoors. If the "New Carrier Dome" has a roof that's anything like the new Vikings' stadium it would very cool.

The game probably has that feel because one end of the stadium is designed to let in nearly 100% natural light. That's also the side that they can open to give the arena the feel of being open air when the weather is conducive. The roof itself also has translucent properties, but the main reason for the natural light is the wall, not the roof.

9d7502-20160719-vikings-stadium01.jpg

but the main reason for the natural light is the wall, not the roof.
"Mr. Syverud, tear down this wall!"... and/or put up at least a partial translucent wall.

Anywho, I thought the lighting at the US Bank Stadium looked great.

Coolest looking stadium ever. I hope we can do something somewhat similar...
And in the end, I think it is smart not to have a retractable roof. I think it cut down on cost and potential leaks/mechanical issues/maint. . With windows, the stadium can get that fresh air without it.

And in the end, I think it is smart not to have a retractable roof. I think it cut down on cost and potential leaks/mechanical issues/maint. . With windows, the stadium can get that fresh air without it.
Agree, retractable roofs also don't mix with heavy snow. That is a no brainer to nix.

I would be fine with no doors that open to allow fresh air in too. Just want extensive use of EFTE on the roof to allow in natural light and provide the best of both worlds: sunlight and the perception of openness with a solid roof that can withstand our worst snow storms without the need for extraordinary manual steps to clear snow and keep the roof from collapsing.

I'm really going to miss the literal rush of exiting the Dome through the emergency exits after a game. It brings me back to being 5 years old everytime I do it and there is no way to replicate that exhilarating feeling of jumping like Superman and flying out on the ice after a big win.

I'm really going to miss the literal rush of exiting the Dome through the emergency exits after a game. It brings me back to being 5 years old everytime I do it and there is no way to replicate that exhilarating feeling of jumping like Superman and flying out on the ice after a big win.

The Louisville game was the first time I was back in the Dome in 30 years. They kept letting the wheechairs in those doors one at a time and we're being really careful about it. It didn't occur to me what was going on until I thought about it later. I missed out on all the fun of getting the full effect!

I'm really going to miss the literal rush of exiting the Dome after a game. It brings me back to being 5 years old every time I do it and there is no way to replicate that exhilarating feeling like Superman and flying out after a big win.
ZAJUrPdEpG3Ru.gif

Exiting Gate A...

That place is what we should strive for. Money will obviously limit us but if we can get something 50 percent as good as the Vikings new place it will do wonders for this program.

You are all absolutely correct. I am an SU season ticket holder for both football and basketball and a HUGE Vikings fan. I took my family out to Minnesota this weekend to see the game against Houston. Wanted to make sure we were there in the innaugural season of US Bank Stadium.

It is, in a word, amazing. The glass on the side of the stadium which contains the massive pivoting doors gives a complete open feeling to the stadium particularly when the doors were open like yesterday. The ETFE roof is unlike anything I have ever seen. Definitely allows all the natural light in but really seemed to prevent glare (at least where I was sitting).

I specifically got tickets under the side of the stadium with the roof and on the opposite side of the pivoting doors. I wanted to have the full effect of being under that portion of the roof and being able to look out to see Minneapolis. It is awesome.

During the early stages of the process, people questioned whether it would be as loud as the Metrodome. I am sure you know the Metrodome was basically the same construct as the Carrier Dome. I have been fortunate enough to attend hundreds of games in the Carrier Dome, a Vikings game in the Metrodome, the 2003 Final Four, a Saints game in the Superdome, multiple bowls, road games at Michigan, Tennessee, Notre Dame, the ArenaBowl in Albany, etc. Yesterday's game which is the first regular season afternoon game at US Bank was as loud as any event I have ever been to.

The amenities including the interactive Vikings Voyage, the wi-fi, team store, etc. are all state of the art. The metro transit which basically can take you all the way from Target Field to US Bank Stadium to Mall of America worked like clockwork.

Although I am impatiently waiting the final design and more details on the Dome renovations, if they take their time and get it right the ETFE will allow so many options. I really do like the design that has never been actually confirmed by SU. If they can add some more of an open air feel in other areas aside the roof I think everyone will be really happy.

SUOrange44

Plus I honestly can't see us ever really using it, or at least not using it enough to merit such costs.

I can only imagine how cool it is in person. A buddy living there sent me pics during the preseason when they had an 'open house' to the public to tour and checkout. It's by far the nicest and coolest stadium I have seen on TV to date. I heard or read somewhere that the fans are closer to the field there than anywhere else.

I can only imagine how cool it is in person. A buddy living there sent me pics during the preseason when they had an 'open house' to the public to tour and checkout. It's by far the nicest and coolest stadium I have seen on TV to date. I heard or read somewhere that the fans are closer to the field there than anywhere else.

That is correct. My seats were 2nd row on about the 10-15 yard line. It really is extremely close and the field suites which were beneath us are actually on the field though I suspect their view may be screened due to the people/players on the sideline. If you ever get a chance to go, even if you are not a Vikings fan (and I can't understand why you would not be ;)), you have to go.

I tried to upload a picture but it is telling me that it is too large for the server to process. If anyone can help me out there...I would be happy to try again.

SUOrange44

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom