OT: What are your five favorite American cities? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

OT: What are your five favorite American cities?

Bring your Winter jacket. And don't think I'm kidding.

Of course, you'll only need it for the 7x7 that is SF, it'll be 85-87 with almost no humidity just about everywhere else you go.

And as for that drive...it's amazingly beautiful. But, it's longer than it is beautiful. Plan better. Figure out a way to mix highway 1 with the 101 and 5. You'll thank me for it.

44cuse

I've been out there a couple of times previously right around the same time of year as this trip. The jacket part is the truth. I'll take a closer look at my drive. What route I decide on depends on whether I want to make a couple of stops, scenic (The Bixby Bridge), food, whatever. I haven't gotten that far yet in planning. Any suggestions?

I've been out there a couple of times previously right around the same time of year as this trip. The jacket part is the truth. I'll take a closer look at my drive. What route I decide on depends on whether I want to make a couple of stops, scenic (The Bixby Bridge), food, whatever. I haven't gotten that far yet in planning. Any suggestions?

Well, I would echo what the others said here. IMO, Big Sur is a must. Whether you are an outdoorsy type or not, it's an amazingly beautiful place. San Simeon is a pretty amazing place. I was literally against going there but did it based on family and really glad I did. First off...it's beautiful in terms of the setting. But ultimately, the grandeur of the place is crazy. Kind of that: "Wow...if I could through a ridiculous party...that lasted for days...it would be here."

Here is the down side, I generally find the coast to be very much the same all the way down. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing. From the Oregon boarder to the Mexican boarder...it's incredible. But it's a lot of hours of incredible. As others have mentioned, stopping in Santa Barbara is a great call as well.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with whatever you pick. Whether you go the whole way or partially and cut in, you're going to love it. The West Coast is so dramatic, it's just a completely different ball game.

As your trip comes closer, feel free to PM and I can give you some more ideas.

44cuse

Favorite U.S. cities:

Boston
New York
San Francisco
Charleston (South Carolina, of course)
Washington

Favorite North American city:

Montreal

plus, the lack of space, forces one to be social. your apt becomes a place to just shlit, shower, shave, sleep and have six. everything else you do in public (unfortunetly, some of the above list gets done in public too, but we will move on).

The public wants to know: how many of those five things has the Kaiser done on the streets of NYC? Sports-books have the early over/under at 2.5.

The public wants to know: how many of those five things has the Kaiser done on the streets of NYC? Sports-books have the early over/under at 2.5.
I'm going under. Only one if any.

Oh Lord

Don't forget Nepenthe (avatar photo is looking from their restaurant deck). It's 29 miles south of Carmel, 63 miles north of San Simeon, and just past the Big Sur Post Office if you're driving south on Route 1. Plan to get there for lunch and you can sit eyeball to eyeball with the Steller's Jays in the trees. We expect a full report when you get back.-VBOF

it's been beat to death but I have traveled the eastern half of the US for work purposes, one city I really like that hasn't been listed is Columbus, OH. small city, easy to get around, but a pretty lively and interesting local nightlife. I liked it there a lot.

it's been beat to death but I have traveled the eastern half of the US for work purposes, one city I really like that hasn't been listed is Columbus, OH. small city, easy to get around, but a pretty lively and interesting local nightlife. I liked it there a lot.

I've been in Columbus more and more lately. High St in Short North is great! Downtown is much better now and German Village is cool too. I can tell you some good eats there if you want.

I've been in Columbus more and more lately. High St in Short North is great! Downtown is much better now and German Village is cool too. I can tell you some good eats there if you want.

I enjoyed Elevator Brewery when I was there a few years ago.

One of the little things I look for when I travel is the city's embrace of outdoor exercise - essentially running trails and the amount of effort the city puts into them in terms of maintenance and marketing. Columbus does a great job for this. My trips are frequently longer than a week, so I need to get out and run off some of the beer I drink.

Other cities with great running/biking opportunities include Minneapolis, Boise, Portland, Bismarck ND, Billings MT, Madison WI (absolute gem that I left off of my original list), NYC, and of course Boston, which is one of the best.

all over betters can come to a window and collect now.

never really thought about it before, but good lord...all but 1. :noidea::cool:
:eek:

I enjoyed Elevator Brewery when I was there a few years ago.

One of the little things I look for when I travel is the city's embrace of outdoor exercise - essentially running trails and the amount of effort the city puts into them in terms of maintenance and marketing. Columbus does a great job for this. My trips are frequently longer than a week, so I need to get out and run off some of the beer I drink.

Other cities with great running/biking opportunities include Minneapolis, Boise, Portland, Bismarck ND, Billings MT, Madison WI (absolute gem that I left off of my original list), NYC, and of course Boston, which is one of the best.

No question. Friends of mine speak highly of Town Hall Brewery in Minny. Portland is great and I've heard good things about the others.

Next time in Cbus. Bypass Elevator. It's good but there is a relatively new brewery there. Still a small operation but it's gaining serious momentum. Their stuff is blowing up all over OH/PA now. Columbus Brewing Co. Good food at the brew pub as well. If you like various IPAs then I will stack theirs up against any of the Stone/Bell's/Great Lakes/Founders/Victory/Dogfish/etc.

No question. Friends of mine speak highly of Town Hall Brewery in Minny. Portland is great and I've heard good things about the others.

Next time in Cbus. Bypass Elevator. It's good but there is a relatively new brewery there. Still a small operation but it's gaining serious momentum. Their stuff is blowing up all over OH/PA now. Columbus Brewing Co. Good food at the brew pub as well. If you like various IPAs then I will stack theirs up against any of the Stone/Bell's/Great Lakes/Founders/Victory/Dogfish/etc.

Will do and thanks for the recommendation. I think the last time I was there was 2 or 3 years ago, so I don't think that brewing company was open yet or maybe I just missed it in my search (one of the first things I do when planning a trip). We stayed a little north of the city at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Boulder, Colorado
St. Augustine, Florida
Bellingham, Washington
The Big Apple
Beantown

1) Syracuse: Because, come on.
2) Nashville: Friendly people, clean streets.
3) Las Vegas: So much to do!
4) Phoenix: Love the climate.
5) New Orleans: Not just because of 'o3!

Syracuse!
Austin TX
Tampa FL
Charleston SC
Hilton Head SC

Baltimore will always have a special place in my heart... Although I'm happy to have moved outta there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom